RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

obd2 scanner with customization option - Carista?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-22, 12:34 PM
edlexus1
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default obd2 scanner with customization option - Carista?

So the Car Nut talks forever about this great tool as it does normal obd stuff but also allows US to customize settings in our own cars...if it is not a 2nd gen car. I wonder why they don't support 2nd gen? And I wonder if you know of any reasonably priced scanner that provides that function?

Old 12-08-22, 06:13 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 168 Posts

I think it's because there isn't much to customize on the Gen 2, even the Gen 3 wasn't a significant increase. But Gen 4 (and my NX) wow the customization page is easily double a Gen 2 when I did a brake job on a 2018 RX350L. And I used full techstream to see these options along with reading codes and live data, not a fan of Carista and Carly and their subscription model.
Old 12-08-22, 06:22 PM
edlexus1
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default do you know of a list of gen 2 customization options?

are those outlined in the owner's manual? would love to just see the list.

Originally Posted by Lexuswiz
I think it's because there isn't much to customize on the Gen 2, even the Gen 3 wasn't a significant increase. But Gen 4 (and my NX) wow the customization page is easily double a Gen 2 when I did a brake job on a 2018 RX350L. And I used full techstream to see these options along with reading codes and live data, not a fan of Carista and Carly and their subscription model.
Old 12-08-22, 08:11 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 965 Likes on 770 Posts

I bought a $200 scanner but unfortunately it doesn;t do anything it claims on the older cars.

It could but they never went back and added it.
Techstream is where it's at for more tests and deeper scans and any standard obd reader will work for generic codes.

Live stream data is a plus so I guess I'm happy with my scanner for that.
Don't want to say the brand on here cuz don't wanna trash them but you can send me a pm if need to know more info.
Old 12-09-22, 03:49 PM
spinellib
Intermediate

Received 178 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by edlexus1
And I wonder if you know of any reasonably priced scanner that provides that function?
I neither own nor recommend this scanner, but it appears that the THINKDIAG tool has quite a bit of impressive Bi-Directional capabilities for $120. I watch a lot of Youtube videos for scanners and the ThinkDiag is potentially a powerful, cheap scanner. But I never used one.

Originally Posted by Margate330
Techstream is where it's at for more tests and deeper scans...
...and control!
Techstream is a wonderful tool for Toyota cars.

It can be very difficult to find a functional Mini VCI J2534 cable off the internet and to get Techstream software to work on your PC, but I think it's worth it for anyone who wants to work on their own Toyota/Lexus and avoid the dealership for simple things such as programming a new key or new TPMS sensors.
Old 12-11-22, 05:11 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by edlexus1
are those outlined in the owner's manual? would love to just see the list.
Nope, techstream is official toyota software and technically only supposed to be used by authorized service centers. But if you look hard enough online, there's videos and screenshots floating around for certain models of those that have tinkered with it.

Originally Posted by spinellib
It can be very difficult to find a functional Mini VCI J2534 cable off the internet and to get Techstream software to work on your PC, but I think it's worth it for anyone who wants to work on their own Toyota/Lexus and avoid the dealership for simple things such as programming a new key or new TPMS sensors.
This exactly. But once you can get it to work, it is truly a lifesaver.
Old 12-13-22, 09:52 AM
Trebbor
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

I haven't thought about using Techstream yet, but after reading some of the comments here, maybe it's something I'll get for future use. So, has anyone purchased the required Mini VCI J2534 cable or other anywhere and has been successful with connecting it up to a current version PC, i.e. Windows 10 64 bit? The comments I've read on Amazon and eBay make me wary of buying any cable from those sources. Thanks for your input. Bob
Old 01-22-23, 10:47 PM
ravidhu
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spinellib
Thank you ! was looking for a tool to get my TPMS sensors working.