RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

When do you stop putting money into your 2nd Gen RX350?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-23, 03:02 PM
ChemEng
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TheTrueLiu
Hey, could I ask you which Make/Model remote starter you went with? I have a Compustar CSX4905S-KIT with a Honda T-Harness lying around I took out of my previous vehicle that I haven't installed because I couldn't find any guides online. Not a big fan of cutting into wires if I don't have to.

Thanks!
I got Compustar 2WT10R-SS which "supposedly" has a 1-mile range. I got a certified car technician to install it for me. It's a very tough job to do for technicians, so I don't advise anyone to even think about doing it themselves. The technican who installed it for me thought he would finish it in a couple of hours. I was there the whole time watching as I thought it wouldn't take too long. Lots of wire cutting under the steering wheel. He initially finished in about 2.5 hours, but when he wanted to test it, something wasn't right, I don't recall exactly what, but he had to call Compustar technical support and they guided him on what he needed to do for this specific model. He had to redo some work and it ended up taking close to 5 hours. I also had him install the alarm system which was no brainer for me if you have a remote start that supports it. He only charged me $30 for the alarm. Remote start overall cost was $550, that was the cheapest I could find at the time. It's working good so far, range is not what they claim ..not even close. If you just need the remote start, go with Viper 2-way (the one with no LCD). I have that one on my 2009 Matrix and the range on that one is amazing. It's rated for 1 mile too, but I can tell it's much better than Compustar. That being said I'm still happy with Compustar all things considered.
Old 01-18-23, 03:09 PM
TheTrueLiu
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ouch, was hoping there wouldn't be wire cutting but I wasn't able to find a T-Harness either unfortunately.
Old 01-18-23, 03:23 PM
ChemEng
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TheTrueLiu
Ouch, was hoping there wouldn't be wire cutting but I wasn't able to find a T-Harness either unfortunately.
I think those harnesses are for newer models. However, all after market remote starts don't work well with new cars (with push button ignition). For example, if you start your car remotely, when you open the door as you get in, the engine shuts down and you need to start the engine again....not very convenient.
Old 01-21-23, 08:00 AM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by ChemEng
Hi all,
I bought my 2007 Lexus RX350 two years ago with 150k miles on the odometer. Car is clean and was never in an accident. Over the last couple years I have fixed/added the following:
  1. Upgraded stock stereo to double din android head unit
  2. Replaced front and rear rotors and brake pads
  3. Replaced all coils and spark plugs (one coil was shot, so I decided to replace all)
  4. Replaced all struts/spring assemblies (front passenger spring was broken, so I decide to replace all strut assemblies)
  5. Replaced alternator (original alternator failed)
  6. Replaced rear passenger side wheel bearing (due to noise)
  7. Added a remote start
Car now has 161k miles and is still in immaculate shape and I love it and plan on driving it to the ground.
The question now is what are the major maintenance items that I should expect to need replacing? Do you think it's worth it to keep investing in maintaining the car? At what point it becomes financially stupid to fix things
Please share all your stories, I would love to hear them.

Thanks
i agree about loving thus gen rx. i love my 2007 with 195,000 plus miles on it and still going strong; i mean other than a seeping transfer case which yes i will have to take care of at some point when i have the excess money to do so and other than having to replace the purge hose assembly a few months ago this has served me very well in the 6 years that ive owned mine so far. im gonna drive mine too until i run it into the ground and it cant go any further. i do want to swap out my stock head unit for a touch screen unit w sirius xm built in as i am a subscriber anbd love it. i also plan on upgrading the stock speakers to something w a bit more treble and a bit more bass but nothing over the top.

Last edited by matts6887; 01-21-23 at 08:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ChemEng (01-21-23)
Old 01-23-23, 04:12 AM
Chapp
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

My wife's 05 RX is heading to 200K. I will keep it as long as I can.
My next big projects are swapping motor mounts and a transmission drain and fill, filter change.

I do need to get a paint job. THat's the biggest thing, but will be worth it.

I do have the Cat converter code, but can't bring myself to pay for that.
I just check it once a month with my OBD scanner to make sure it's nothing else.
Old 01-24-23, 09:33 AM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 503 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by ChemEng
Hi all,
I bought my 2007 Lexus RX350 two years ago with 150k miles on the odometer. Car is clean and was never in an accident. Over the last couple years I have fixed/added the following:
  1. Upgraded stock stereo to double din android head unit
  2. Replaced front and rear rotors and brake pads
  3. Replaced all coils and spark plugs (one coil was shot, so I decided to replace all)
  4. Replaced all struts/spring assemblies (front passenger spring was broken, so I decide to replace all strut assemblies)
  5. Replaced alternator (original alternator failed)
  6. Replaced rear passenger side wheel bearing (due to noise)
  7. Added a remote start
Car now has 161k miles and is still in immaculate shape and I love it and plan on driving it to the ground.
The question now is what are the major maintenance items that I should expect to need replacing? Do you think it's worth it to keep investing in maintaining the car? At what point it becomes financially stupid to fix things?

Please share all your stories, I would love to hear them.

Thanks
Except for the remote start & your audio upgrade, seems like basic maintence similar to other vehicles.
The following 2 users liked this post by Felix:
01LEXPL (01-26-23), SJM (03-15-23)
Old 01-26-23, 10:20 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by iMSQ
Keep until repair costs <= 50% of car sell price. RX is a great and very comfortable car.
This, right here.

Following that example;
The only reason I did the trans in my old ES300 (below) is because it came just under 40% of the market value, which I ended up selling thereafter.

Also, I don't do (as much) "just because". I used to do things that didn't need to be in pairs, or sets. Ie. Struts. Now I just do what needs doing, in pairs, as recommended. That's a guaranteed way to spend more when you don't necessarily need to!

Originally Posted by Felix
Except for the remote start & your audio upgrade, seems like basic maintence similar to other vehicles.
This as well.
SJM (03-15-23)
Old 01-26-23, 10:25 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Chapp
My wife's 05 RX is heading to 200K. I will keep it as long as I can.
My next big projects are swapping motor mounts and a transmission drain and fill, filter change.

I do need to get a paint job. THat's the biggest thing, but will be worth it.

I do have the Cat converter code, but can't bring myself to pay for that.
I just check it once a month with my OBD scanner to make sure it's nothing else.
No the hell it won't. Polish, clay, maintain it. Don't bother repainting that relic, as much as it pains me to say that. Its 20yrs old in 2yrs... Or use it to practice bodywork skills, that's what the 04 RX in my family was for, mind you it was super minor touch ups from other people, and there's virtually no rust since I undercoat yearly.

For the converter code, you may be lucky with a spark-plug spacer, or O2 sensor fouler... cheap, <5$ and it spaces the O2 sensor out. Or run good gas and/or fuel system cleaner once a month.

Note: I had a fouler, it kept the code away and would pop up 1-4x a year. Quick clear and on we went. But the last time it was consistent, and once I removed the fouler/spacer, it resumed to coming on 1-4x/year.
Old 01-27-23, 12:41 AM
Rx330fnboi
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

My 04 rx330 ended up with a bad case of rod knock right at 5000 miles since last OCI it happened the day after buying a jug of Mobil 1 with 202k on the odometer. Called some shops and they wanted $2500 in labor and $700 for the engine to do the job. Decided to bite the bullet and do it myself in my driveway at the end of autumn/ beginning of winter. I was able to get some great deals online including a full itm gasket kit for $80 and an aisin timing kit for $40 did a full transmission flush, new gear oil in the rear diff and t case it probably would have cost 6k to get all the work I did done at a shop and that’s a conservative estimate. Now I just need to change out the hood latch cable get a bank 1 sensor 2 o2 sensor, do the front wheel bearings and rear struts. A new head unit would be nice as well. All in I believe I spent about $1600 including an $80 used engine hoist and some small tools I needed like an axel nut socket, bolt biter socket set and helicoil kit.

my answer is never. If this engine ever fails me again I’ll rebuild it before I let this beautiful SUV go.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rx330fnboi:
MattRX (01-31-23), SJM (03-15-23)
Old 01-27-23, 12:44 AM
Rx330fnboi
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
No the hell it won't. Polish, clay, maintain it. Don't bother repainting that relic, as much as it pains me to say that. Its 20yrs old in 2yrs... Or use it to practice bodywork skills, that's what the 04 RX in my family was for, mind you it was super minor touch ups from other people, and there's virtually no rust since I undercoat yearly.

For the converter code, you may be lucky with a spark-plug spacer, or O2 sensor fouler... cheap, <5$ and it spaces the O2 sensor out. Or run good gas and/or fuel system cleaner once a month.

Note: I had a fouler, it kept the code away and would pop up 1-4x a year. Quick clear and on we went. But the last time it was consistent, and once I removed the fouler/spacer, it resumed to coming on 1-4x/year.
I would totally do a full paint job. Just need a hood palm sander some primer finish and clear coat. Would definitely be easier then an engine swap.
Old 01-31-23, 03:19 PM
mikessolis
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I sold my car at 247k miles. Kind of regret it but I feel a good time to sell it is when you no longer trust driving it on a 3 hour road trip. It was previously in an accident so the suspension needed a complete overhaul. Also the ac motor was probably bad. I think if you can make it to 250k miles with no transmission problems you might as well sell it and get another Rx with 100k miles. I sold it for 4200 and I probably could have had it up and running clean for 3k.
Old 03-01-23, 01:50 PM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

My 05 RX330 has 155K, same here some minor rust & paint peeled from the tailgate. Also have a code for the Cat PO 430 for 4 years that I also take care of it every 2 weeks with a OBD Scanner. It's a great & reliable SUV although now I am getting 8 MPG & it's time to sell the RX330. I paid $2100. US for it in 2017, invested about $2800. in repairs therefore no regrets.
Old 03-01-23, 02:24 PM
rlx101
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

8mpg ?!? are you leaking fuel on the road? LOL

Originally Posted by 05RX330AWD
My 05 RX330 has 155K, same here some minor rust & paint peeled from the tailgate. Also have a code for the Cat PO 430 for 4 years that I also take care of it every 2 weeks with a OBD Scanner. It's a great & reliable SUV although now I am getting 8 MPG & it's time to sell the RX330. I paid $2100. US for it in 2017, invested about $2800. in repairs therefore no regrets.
SJM (03-15-23)
Old 03-01-23, 02:25 PM
rlx101
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

is 50% total repair costs ...or just one repair that hits 50% of the car value mark?

Originally Posted by iMSQ
Keep until repair costs <= 50% of car sell price. RX is a great and very comfortable car.
Old 03-01-23, 02:44 PM
iMSQ
Instructor

Received 220 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by rlx101
is 50% total repair costs ...or just one repair that hits 50% of the car value mark?
one-time repair
hsears25 (03-24-23)

Quick Reply: When do you stop putting money into your 2nd Gen RX350?