RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

When do you stop putting money into your 2nd Gen RX350?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-23, 08:10 PM
ChemEng
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Question When do you stop putting money into your 2nd Gen RX350?

Hi all,
I bought my 2007 Lexus RX350 two years ago with 150k miles on the odometer. Car is clean and was never in an accident. Over the last couple years I have fixed/added the following:
  1. Upgraded stock stereo to double din android head unit
  2. Replaced front and rear rotors and brake pads
  3. Replaced all coils and spark plugs (one coil was shot, so I decided to replace all)
  4. Replaced all struts/spring assemblies (front passenger spring was broken, so I decide to replace all strut assemblies)
  5. Replaced alternator (original alternator failed)
  6. Replaced rear passenger side wheel bearing (due to noise)
  7. Added a remote start
Car now has 161k miles and is still in immaculate shape and I love it and plan on driving it to the ground.
The question now is what are the major maintenance items that I should expect to need replacing? Do you think it's worth it to keep investing in maintaining the car? At what point it becomes financially stupid to fix things?

Please share all your stories, I would love to hear them.

Thanks
The following 2 users liked this post by ChemEng:
Margate330 (01-12-23), matts6887 (01-21-23)
Old 01-12-23, 08:41 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,019 Likes on 811 Posts

Originally Posted by ChemEng
Hi all,
I bought my 2007 Lexus RX350 two years ago with 150k miles on the odometer. Car is clean and was never in an accident. Over the last couple years I have fixed/added the following:
  1. Upgraded stock stereo to double din android head unit
  2. Replaced front and rear rotors and brake pads
  3. Replaced all coils and spark plugs (one coil was shot, so I decided to replace all)
  4. Replaced all struts/spring assemblies (front passenger spring was broken, so I decide to replace all strut assemblies)
  5. Replaced alternator (original alternator failed)
  6. Replaced rear passenger side wheel bearing (due to noise)
  7. Added a remote start
Car now has 161k miles and is still in immaculate shape and I love it and plan on driving it to the ground.
The question now is what are the major maintenance items that I should expect to need replacing? Do you think it's worth it to keep investing in maintaining the car? At what point it becomes financially stupid to fix things?

Please share all your stories, I would love to hear them.

Thanks
Nice work.

Bad news is your car has used up 99.9% of it's useful life and probably not worth spending any more money on it.
Click on spoiler for more details...

Spoiler

The following 6 users liked this post by Margate330:
Chapp (01-23-23), ChemEng (01-12-23), Felix (01-15-23), fsportjay (03-26-23), spinellib (01-13-23), Vincenze (01-13-23) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-12-23, 08:50 PM
ChemEng
Driver

When I saw 99.9%, I knew you either were kidding or you didn't know what you were talking about lol. I honestly don't see myself upgrading unless there is a major maintenance item that wouldn't make sense financially. Not a big fan of new cars with all their overcomplicated electronics that haven't stood the test of time. Thanks for pointing me to the thread for cars with over 200k miles!
The following 3 users liked this post by ChemEng:
Chapp (01-23-23), Martin836 (04-03-23), SJM (03-15-23)
Old 01-12-23, 11:40 PM
MattRX
Racer

Received 811 Likes on 577 Posts

My 2008 is approaching 230k and I am still dumping money into it / upgrading it. No regrets, this thing is awesome! Much better than our 3rd gen RX, and I wouldn't ever trade it for the newer ones which seem to have lost the simplicity, compact size and that fine line between comfort and feedback to the road that these earlier ones seemed to nail perfectly. I love how this car has nothing to prove, it's a "bull in sheep's clothing". It doesn't have to have the latest and greatest it doesn't need to be all flashy and high-tech, it gets by with straight reliability, a solid power plant, proper mechanical all-time AWD and more than enough luxury for me! I feel like newer Lexus cars while nice, have lost this understated, humble and confident feel to them. I wouldn't hesitate to throw an engine and trans into this car if I had to.

Because our 2002 Highlander has been good to us for 15+ years, I figured I'd try out its Lexus twin before they upsized them for the newer gen. I followed the philosophy of my 2002 Highlander with this car and it has turned out well. Every time something wears out, I explore my options and try to find a heavier-duty or newer part that is a direct fit, usually it ends up being cheaper especially if I find it used. These pop up in junkyards near me too so parts are affordable, available and easy to remove!

Last edited by MattRX; 01-12-23 at 11:50 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by MattRX:
ChemEng (01-13-23), finallyayo (01-12-24), SJM (01-16-23), willameena (05-08-23)
Old 01-13-23, 07:32 AM
ChemEng
Driver

Thanks MattRX for your post. I agree with you 100%. 2nd Gen RX is my favorite RX by far as it strikes balance between luxury, practicality, elegance, and reliability. I honestly think that car quality in general peaked in the mid to late 2000s. If you look at the leather quality for example in 2nd gen RX's you will know what I mean. I've seen 3rd gen RX's with leather that's more cracked and worn out than 2nd gen RX's.

Does anybody know how to turn off traction control on 2007 Lexus RX350? I know 2008 models and up have a button which can turn it off. 2007 AWD models don't have it. I remember reading there is a pedal dance that you can do to deactivate it, but I don't think it worked with me. I recall reading it worked on ES models but not RX. If anyone knows of something that has worked for their 2007 RX350, please let me know.
MattRX (01-13-23), SJM (03-15-23)
Old 01-13-23, 08:24 AM
iMSQ
Instructor

Received 220 Likes on 187 Posts

Keep until repair costs <= 50% of car sell price. RX is a great and very comfortable car.
Old 01-13-23, 10:14 AM
frankymenz
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Although it’s probably been done, I would make darn sure it has the full metal oil cooler lines underneath at the front near the oil filter, Toyota lines only. Then I would check to make sure the vvti line has been updated to full metal line. Either of those failures will destroy the engine with little to no warning. The recall for the vvti line may have only replaced the rubber section with another rubber section, the proper repair is a complete metal line. The oil cooler campaign/recall should have been done with a complete metal set, I would want to know for sure those were both done, I’d only use Toyota/Lexus parts.
The following 2 users liked this post by frankymenz:
MattRX (01-13-23), spinellib (01-13-23)
Old 01-13-23, 10:43 AM
spinellib
Intermediate

Received 182 Likes on 141 Posts

I would consider a new water pump and thermostat, if original, and a transmission filter change. You can flush the coolant system at the same time.
Drive belt in good shape? Ever do a brake fluid flush? Many people don't bother, but brake fluid does become acidic and corrosive over time because of moisture getting in the system.
As suggested above, use genuine Toyota parts from a trusted seller.

The replacement cost would far exceed regular maintenance cost, even if you're paying someone to do it.

Last edited by spinellib; 01-13-23 at 10:49 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by spinellib:
Margate330 (01-13-23), SJM (01-16-23)
Old 01-13-23, 12:55 PM
ChemEng
Driver

I did a brake fluid flush when I bought the car two years ago. The previous owner updated the oil cooler lines (by Lexus). I also flushed the transfer case fluid a few moths ago.
I generally get all my parts from RockAuto as they provide quality parts for very competitive prices. I live in Canada and even with hefty shipping costs, parts cost me considerably lower than buying from local auto shops.
Chapp (01-23-23), MattRX (01-13-23)
Old 01-13-23, 01:07 PM
MattRX
Racer

Rockauto FTW, also Canadian and it is generally always cheaper to get quality parts there despite the shipping prices. The only parts I don’t get from there are brake rotors as I can usually get them for cheaper and fast at the dealer due to cost to ship.

For the TRAC / VSC, that makes me wonder if the wiring for the button still exists behind the kick panel for the switch. It’s very simple and only completes a ground to activate.

Also, did the previous owner do the VVT-i line?

Edit: Saw post about lines being replaced, leaving this here for others who might want to know what it looks like

Last edited by MattRX; 01-13-23 at 02:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
donaldmadden (08-14-23)
Old 01-13-23, 02:46 PM
ChemEng
Driver

I believe the previous owner did replace VVT-i line as part of the oil lines recall. But as frankymenz mentioned, Lexus replaced those with the same parts. Will check and see if they've been replaced.
Old 01-15-23, 08:05 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 503 Likes on 438 Posts

I did a brake fluid flush when I bought the car two years ago. The previous owner updated the oil cooler lines (by Lexus). I also flushed the transfer case fluid a few moths ago.
I generally get all my parts from RockAuto as they provide quality parts for very competitive prices. I live in Canada and even with hefty shipping costs, parts cost me considerably lower than buying from local auto shops.
Great to do as well as the rear diff & transmission filter/fluid change + it gives you a change to clean the two magnets in the trans pan. I'd also check to see if the the cooler hoses were replaced w/ the same rubber hoses vs SS lines. Also do the SS vvti line bank 1 as the oem line is spiced w/ a rubber hose, IDK why. Change out the coolant as well......Great you've flushed the brake fluid w/ new. Next time you need brakes, add gen 3 calipers/pads/rotors as its a direct bolt on. Two piston calipers vs single piston as well as the pad surface area tell you....#1005 vs #1324 pads show you. Just need a pr of reman gen 3 calipers. Great time to upgrade the brake hoses to SS as well......More bite w/ a firmer, shorter travel pedal.....
The following 3 users liked this post by Felix:
ChemEng (01-15-23), Jlmemt (05-12-24), MattRX (01-15-23)
Old 01-17-23, 06:13 PM
evident
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

I have some delayed service that's overdue. I really need to replace my power steering rack. The only major issue i had was rust on a rear quarter panel wheel well that I had to apply seam sealer and POR15 on. not noticable from 10 ft away but when you get up close it's obvious. Car is comfortable, reliable and simple. I have the damn cracked dash that i'm probably never going to replace. I missed that recall by literally 1 month and lexus (3 dealers and corporate) told me to go pound sand.
Old 01-17-23, 06:35 PM
MattRX
Racer

Another great thing about these cars is we have lots of options for parts. I replaced my leaky rack with a 2001-2003 Highlander one instead of a 2004-2007 Highlander / 2004-2009 RX one and couldn't be happier. It was far cheaper despite the lower mileage. In the meantime, I replaced my used rack's bushings with new ones for a 2005-2015 Tacoma. It's still buttery smooth but has a more feedback on the road. The rest of the racks on our platform should be a direct fit apart from the 2004-2010 Sienna. This was also the perfect excuse to squeeze in the larger 3rd gen RX350 front sway bar or replace the original sway bar bushings if they're worn.

https://www.toyotanation.com/threads...#post-14573602
Jlmemt (05-12-24)
Old 01-18-23, 02:26 PM
TheTrueLiu
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi all,
  1. Added a remote start
Hey, could I ask you which Make/Model remote starter you went with? I have a Compustar CSX4905S-KIT with a Honda T-Harness lying around I took out of my previous vehicle that I haven't installed because I couldn't find any guides online. Not a big fan of cutting into wires if I don't have to.

Thanks!
fsportjay (03-26-23)

Quick Reply: When do you stop putting money into your 2nd Gen RX350?