RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Driver side HID light pointing lower than the passenger side HID light

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-03, 10:34 AM
SpamLite
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Driver side HID light pointing lower than the passenger side HID light

Just took in my RX330 to get the 1000 mile checkup
I asked them to look at my driver side HID light and fix it so that it is pointing at the same height as the passenger side HID light.
They said that it was by design that the driver side HID is pointing lower... something about cornering and it helps with BLAH BLAH BLAH....

Is the driver side HID light suppose to be pointing lower than the passenger side HID light?
or is the salesman just pulling my leg?

God I hope he is pulling my legs... b/c I hate that light being lower and I'm going to crucify him if he is wrong

Does your RX330 HID lights point at the height or do they stagger like stairs?

Thanks
Old 10-24-03, 12:55 PM
pdxmark2
Driver School Candidate

Hmmm.... Mine aren't exactly level, but there isn't a noticeable stair-step sort of difference. If you have the performance package with the AFL lights, the driver's side light turns in a wider arc than the passenger side light--but of course it doesn't sound like you are asking about that.

The AFL lights do sort of an auto-leveling "dance" when you first turn the car on if it's dark... at least I think that's what they are doing. They point up and down and to the sides before pointing forward. But ultimately, on my RX330, they are pretty level.
Old 10-24-03, 01:14 PM
thchen
Driver School Candidate

Even if you don't have the adaptive lights, the HIDs still are auto-leveling, up and down. you usually see it when you first turn on the head lights. When I first got my RX330, I felt that the lights were pointing too low, and the driver's side light was pointing slightly lower, I asked the dealership to check the alignment on them, they said they were fine. After driving several more times at night I decided to adjust the lights myself and aimed them higher and at the same level. The owners manual explains how to adjust the lights. I'd say if the lights bother you, just go ahead and adjust them yourself if the dealership won't do it.
Old 10-24-03, 01:56 PM
SpamLite
Driver School Candidate

Angry Additional Notes

I have a RX330 with Premium Plus package.
No, I don't have Adaptive Head Lights (That's only on Performance Package).
Yes, my lights Auto Level.... but after it's done the initial leveling... like on the highway (where it is level/ flat land) the driver side lights are like 1" to 1.5" feet lower that the passenger side. DRIVES ME CRAZY!

I'm Going to KILL him!!!
Old 10-24-03, 03:43 PM
time4lexus
Pole Position

I think its designed like that, since your driver's side light is closer to the opposite lane of traffic, and they don't want to blind oncoming drivers.
Old 10-24-03, 07:16 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, the driver side headlamp is pointed lower to reduce glare to oncoming traffic. This is why the adaptive light system swings 15-degree to the driver side instead of just 5-degree to the passenger side. On the RX300, there are two adjustment screws behind the headlamp housing. I suppose the RX330 has something similar.
Old 10-24-03, 07:23 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Lightbulb time4's right!

Headlights are required by law to cut off the top of the pattern on the driver's side to avoid blinding oncoming drivers. On some cars, the specifications for this aiming restriction, developed in the ‘30’s, I believe, are more than a little ridiculous. With the development of more sophisticated lighting, some changes in the regulations are needed to address the new technologies.

My old K-25 Suburbans, because of their high lamp placement, aimed the driver’s side light at a point in the center of my lane – about 25 feet in front of the bumper…where it did absolutely no good. After each inspection where my headlights were routinely “adjusted”, I simply pointed my truck at the garage door from the end of the driveway, got out a screwdriver, and put the lights back where I needed them. I never got a ticket, and was never “flashed” by oncoming traffic.

The HIDs on my 330 are slightly staggered, but work well, putting low-beam light where I need it. Judging by the cutoff line, it shouldn't bother oncoming traffic, illuminating the front of oncoming cars but not the windshield. The odd effect of the lights flapping up and down as you cross some of our neighborhood whoop-de-doos (speed humps) might make oncoming drivers think you are sending some sort of distress call 'tho....
Old 10-25-03, 12:05 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Like everyone said, it is designed that way. You can notice this on almost every HID equiped car, especially those that use projectors. Even my halogen projector cars had the same stair step horizantal cutoff. I think many people don't notice it too much with other reflective non HID lights because those optics are generally less controlled than the projectors and especially HID optics.
Old 10-27-03, 07:41 AM
SpamLite
Driver School Candidate

Talking Thanks for all the input... I feel better now.

Thanks for all the input... I feel better now.
Old 10-31-03, 05:50 PM
eyebike
Driver

I have an RX330 with the adaptive headlites. My left (driver) light is also a hair lower than the right.
Old 03-15-09, 06:09 PM
md567
Driver School Candidate

Yeah ,On my 2004 RX 330 the drivers side is lower than the passenger side,it's noticable when you point the nose right up against a wall. but when I'm driving down my block,it seems that everything to the right of the car is super illuminated ,even street signs light up!!!!...and even cars that I'm passing,the wholedrivers side of their car is lit up!!!!!...very weird indeed.