RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Replacing left rear door panel

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-23, 01:45 AM
roosterbut
2nd gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replacing left rear door panel

Hello, my puppy bit the top black leatherish piece on the left rear door panel. Wondering if anyone has experience replacing only that part (picture attached).

Quick forum search and YouTube shows that removing the door panel is relatively straightforward. My original plan was to:

1. buy a used door panel online (any might work because that top black part is the same across all the different color schemes)

2. remove the top black piece from the donor panel

3. swap it out with the damaged black piece.

However, the seller tells me the top black piece is held in place by both screws, as well as melted plastic buttons (picture attached). Think this means I need to grind/sandpaper off the melted plastic buttons?

I got my hopes up after seeing another thread for a different lexus model, where OP reupholstered a similar black door panel piece; OP said that the black piece was only held in place by screws though...

So anyone have experience replacing or reupholstering only that top black part of the door panel?

Dog tax attached. Thank you for the help!

Bunch of bite marks near the left side of the black piece. Thankfully she didn't puncture the bottom light grey part.

There are both metal screws and melted plastic screws according to the seller. Wondering if the melted plastic screws are holding anything in place?

Extra picture just to show the exact part I'm trying to replace, circled in red. Luckily, it's an universal black piece, so I can technically obtain any used door panel as a donor if all works out

Expensive lesson. Don't worry, I blame myself for all this. She's too cute.

Last edited by roosterbut; 03-02-23 at 02:01 AM. Reason: Formatting issues. Pictures also failed to upload on mobile
The following users liked this post:
RadiantX45 (03-02-23)
Old 03-02-23, 04:34 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 422 Likes on 338 Posts

Crate her for all car rides. She will be much safer and your car will not suffer additional bite or claw damage. We learned this lesson decades ago.
Old 03-02-23, 05:43 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,175 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Call these guys as they are a used Lexus parts yard and may have the exact inner door panel you need. They are located in California. I hope your CA is for California and not Canada.
​​​​​​http://www.rancholexusrecycling.com/
Old 03-02-23, 12:37 PM
roosterbut
2nd gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Call these guys as they are a used Lexus parts yard and may have the exact inner door panel you need. They are located in California. I hope your CA is for California and not Canada.​​​​​​http://www.rancholexusrecycling.com/
Yep, I'm located in California! Will look into that parts yard, thank you!
Originally Posted by RX in NC
Crate her for all car rides. She will be much safer and your car will not suffer additional bite or claw damage. We learned this lesson decades ago.
Already waiting on a k9transport crate! She always had someone next to her during car rides (+ harness and seatbelt for dogs), but on this particular occasion, a family member thought she would behave on her own for a 10 minute ride to the pet store... evidently not aha.