RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX450h SE-i 2010 Loose Object Rattling

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-23 | 11:56 AM
MJZ97
Driver School Candidate

Default RX450h SE-i 2010 Loose Object Rattling

So, I’m hearing this rattling sound inside my boot lid when I open and close it, sounds like there’s a small object loose inside, does anyone know what it could be and how I could check?

Also, is there any way I can auto-open the boot lid without pressing the key, there’s only a lock and unlock button on the trunk as far as I can tell

Thank you!

Video Below:

Old 03-07-23 | 01:07 PM
Clutchless

You probably need to remove the inner hatch panel and inspect for loose stuff inside.
There is no other magic way to open the hatch but the fob, the trunk lid button, and a button on the dash or drivers door to open the hatch. Maybe your UK model is different and lacks that button. If so, I am surprised such a feature is missing.
The following users liked this post:
MJZ97 (03-07-23)
Old 03-07-23 | 04:02 PM
MJZ97
Driver School Candidate

So the trunk lid button will open it? I click and hear a whirring noise but then have to manually lift it
Old 03-07-23 | 05:16 PM
Clutchless

It is probably that your worn out trunk struts are too weak to help the motor lift the trunk.. Replace the struts and hope that fixes it as replacing the motor is much more expensive. There are many youtube videos that show how to replace them. It takes 5 minutes but have a long board to prop up the trunk while you remove and replace the struts or it will fall on you!
The whirring noise hopefully means the motor works and it is just worn hatch struts. Get aftermarket ones, they work fine and are much cheaper than the overpriced ones from Lexus. I think you can look up the correct ones at https://www.liftsupportsdepot.com/
then if they don't ship to the UK use those part numbers to find them at Amazon or some UK parts supplier.
MJZ97 (03-07-23)
Old 03-07-23 | 07:07 PM
BikeGuy
Driver School Candidate

You'll find out what's loose when you remove the rear hatch trim to replace that blurry backup camera

It's really not that bad of a job I did it recently to install a backup camera on my 2010 RX350.
MJZ97 (03-07-23)
Old 03-07-23 | 07:16 PM
MJZ97
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Clutchless
It is probably that your worn out trunk struts are too weak to help the motor lift the trunk.. Replace the struts and hope that fixes it as replacing the motor is much more expensive. There are many youtube videos that show how to replace them. It takes 5 minutes but have a long board to prop up the trunk while you remove and replace the struts or it will fall on you!
The whirring noise hopefully means the motor works and it is just worn hatch struts. Get aftermarket ones, they work fine and are much cheaper than the overpriced ones from Lexus. I think you can look up the correct ones at https://www.liftsupportsdepot.com/
then if they don't ship to the UK use those part numbers to find them at Amazon or some UK parts supplier.
Thank you I will get two new struts, I googled and I seen someone mention that the trunk button is set to unlock only by default and it’s a dealership option to make it auto lift, so I will ask them when I take the car in for a service
Old 03-07-23 | 07:18 PM
MJZ97
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BikeGuy
You'll find out what's loose when you remove the rear hatch trim to replace that blurry backup camera

It's really not that bad of a job I did it recently to install a backup camera on my 2010 RX350.
Did you buy a new replacement camera? I get a free camera with an android replacement screen but that will be a harder job, I see some on eBay but worried they might also be blurry
Old 03-07-23 | 07:30 PM
BikeGuy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MJZ97
Did you buy a new replacement camera? I get a free camera with an android replacement screen but that will be a harder job, I see some on eBay but worried they might also be blurry
I purchased an aftermarket camera that's compatible with my android head unit. When browsing online I did notice you can buy a replacement oem camera, I will say they are not cheap. Running the wire for the backup camera was a tedious job for sure, took my time with it and ended up taking most of a day.
Old 03-08-23 | 04:10 AM
Clutchless

It will be much much easier to just get a replacement Lexus backup camera. It will integrate with the head unit and screen. Anything aftermarket will probably not work with your present wiring and will probably not work with the factory screen. You can get a new or used on on eBay, I saw many for prices from $49 to $120 US.
Or a local used car parts/ wrecking yard may have an RX.

Rock Auto, a very large US based discount car parts supplier has them for $100 and I think they will ship to the UK. They are a great source for aftermarket parts, I have bought from them for years.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...)+camera,47472

Or ask your Lexus dealer for the price. Or look online at some of the discount Lexus dealers. Since you are in a different country some of my usual tips do not apply. In the US you can shop at some of the onine discount Lexus suppliers and enter your VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) and their software will help you find the exact parts for your car. Such as:
https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/

or https://www.mylparts.com/?gclid=Cj0K...0aAgTLEALw_wcB

Last edited by Clutchless; 03-08-23 at 04:15 AM.
Old 03-09-23 | 02:32 PM
MJZ97
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Clutchless
It will be much much easier to just get a replacement Lexus backup camera. It will integrate with the head unit and screen. Anything aftermarket will probably not work with your present wiring and will probably not work with the factory screen. You can get a new or used on on eBay, I saw many for prices from $49 to $120 US.
Or a local used car parts/ wrecking yard may have an RX.

Rock Auto, a very large US based discount car parts supplier has them for $100 and I think they will ship to the UK. They are a great source for aftermarket parts, I have bought from them for years.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...)+camera,47472

Or ask your Lexus dealer for the price. Or look online at some of the discount Lexus dealers. Since you are in a different country some of my usual tips do not apply. In the US you can shop at some of the onine discount Lexus suppliers and enter your VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) and their software will help you find the exact parts for your car. Such as:
https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/

or https://www.mylparts.com/?gclid=Cj0K...0aAgTLEALw_wcB
Thank you! Yes, my only worry with getting parts from eBay from scrap cars was that the camera might not be clear and I would end up in the same situation, are the RockAuto parts new? As the camera would be $110 shipped to UK which isn't so bad compared to eBay prices for a new part
Old 03-10-23 | 04:33 AM
RX in NC
Racer

To my knowledge, Rockauto sells only new parts. I have never had to return anything I ordered from Rockauto during the past decade.