RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

the abs scam

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-23, 12:30 AM
450hflgwb9
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the abs scam

so my abs light brske malfunction msg came on...went to jm lexus in s fl they quoted 3800$ to fix it. said i needed pump assembly accumultor and pump. bs. bought just the actuator for 450$ installed locally w same pump which was fine for 1100$ warning lights gone brakes work perfectly including the bleed. don't fall victim to this scam lexus is running. im selling my vehicle because im not representing a company who punishes their own clients. its despicable. see boca auto in boca raton to fix abs issue. the K and O modules work..got mine on ebay...**** your 3800$
Old 04-21-23, 04:23 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 422 Likes on 338 Posts

Almost all dealership service departments regardless of the brand(s) they sell will hose their customers whenever they believe they can get away with it. Profit margins are higher on servicing vehicles than on selling vehicles, especially when dealerships can drastically inflate a service bill to an unsuspecting and willing-to-pay customer. The best course of action for any vehicle owner is to DIY as much as you can, and find a trustworthy independent shop for issues that you cannot DIY.
Old 04-21-23, 06:24 AM
carguy75
Advanced

Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by 450hflgwb9
so my abs light brske malfunction msg came on...went to jm lexus in s fl they quoted 3800$ to fix it. said i needed pump assembly accumultor and pump. bs. bought just the actuator for 450$ installed locally w same pump which was fine for 1100$ warning lights gone brakes work perfectly including the bleed. don't fall victim to this scam lexus is running. im selling my vehicle because im not representing a company who punishes their own clients. its despicable. see boca auto in boca raton to fix abs issue. the K and O modules work..got mine on ebay...**** your 3800$
I understand your frustration that Lexus charged you for a new ABS pump and a new accumulator when your pump was still working. Based on the OEM prices I have seen online which is about $1500 for the entire complete ABS unit; the dealer was going to charge you a lot in labor.

However, to be honest no dealer service department of any automaker would install a new ABS part like a new ABS actuator on an old ABS pump. Dealer service centers usually just install the parts like the ABS accumulator new as complete units and will not take the old units apart to swap in new parts; especially with brake components. Therefore, the Lexus dealer only did what any other dealer would have done.

Heck, your local mechanic probably scammed you in labor cost based on how easy it is to change just the ABS accumulator on a Toyota/Lexus. Just watch this video.

Last edited by carguy75; 04-21-23 at 06:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
intermec (04-21-23)
Old 04-22-23, 08:34 AM
salimshah

Received 1,075 Likes on 968 Posts

The high price of repairs is a valid concern that OP has shared. BUT, there are certain realities that should be kept in mind.
1. At the dealership [any vehicle] expect that the shop will install "new oem" parts and by default they will charge you full retail price. Exceptions can be made, but they need to be agreed upon and in most cases expect that they will refuse to offer warranty on non new/oem product.
2. Expect to pay higher than minimum labor rates. Lexus rates are up there but there are quite a few brands which are even higher.
3. Very few Lexus owners accept the fact that they have a Toyota product, but when it comes to pay for parts and labor they prefer Toyota parts/service.
4. We are in the age of replacing parts and not the failing components. Consumer satisfaction post repairs, inventory, labor rates, skill, test-equipment, returns etc have all contributed to this fact.

DIY wins as the labor charge is free and customer-satisfaction/warranty etc is all in the hands and mind of the owner.

Salim
Old 04-22-23, 02:30 PM
Roscol
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

It’s understandable that the original poster is upset due to a bad experience, but in reality, the stats, the surveys, prove that Toyota/Lexus makes a great product. I’ve owned many brands over the years, but the quality built in every vehicle Toyota/Lexus will keep me a lifetime customer.
Reminds me of the old saying, “don’t throw the baby out with the bath water”
But I hope he finds a better experience with another brand, because I don’t believe anyone will.

The following users liked this post:
laserwiz (04-24-23)