RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Looks like some damage by my wheel anyone help?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-23, 03:21 PM
360LexusEs
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looks like some damage by my wheel anyone help?

I’ve been noticing some minor vibrations that seems like it’s coming from the driver side wheel. Initially I thought maybe it’s the new tires that I put on and that maybe they weren’t balanced properly or even put on backwards. Upon taking some photos I noticed this cracks. Is what I’m looking at normal? It doesn’t look to be

Old 04-24-23, 04:36 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,160 Likes on 990 Posts

I do not see any usseful photos of your wheels. The front passenger wheel photo shows what appears to be dirt or a mark etc on the inner rim. If that was a crack, they would not install your tire.

Those are mostly photos of the inner fender area, subframe and car under body, which all appear normal. In your photos those are ridges in the undercoating, sound deadening and where the undercoating ends in the wheel well inner fender area, not cracks.

If you have a wheel crack show a photo of the suspect wheel area, however the tire shop would have caught it and it probably would not hold air.
If you had wheel damage they would have or should have noticied when balancing the new tires.

New tires can be defective. If the vibration began with the new tires, then it was caused by the new tires. Either a bad balance job, or a defective tire or tires.
You need to go back to the tire store and complain. Have them drive with you. I had a defective set of Yokohama tires once on my old ES350 and the local installer helped me get them sent back to Tire Rack. They could not balance them and I had highway vibrations.

Maybe ask for a road force balance which is more exact than than a normal wheel balance, but not every shop has a Hunter Road Force Balance Machine.

Last edited by Clutchless; 04-24-23 at 04:39 AM.
Old 04-24-23, 08:43 AM
RadiantX45
Pit Crew

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

@360LexusEs

I think you’re talking about these right?

I took a look underneath mine and I do not have cracks there, it is smooth. I have a 2014 though, what year is yours?
Old 04-24-23, 10:05 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,160 Likes on 990 Posts

The areas you outlined above are not cracks.
That stuff above and to the left is sound deadening undercoating in the wheel well and the lower orange circle merely shows where the undercoating stops. It is there to decrease tire noise and vibration.
The area covered by the upper circle is merely a ridge in the undercoating from somewhat uneven application.
If there were cracks in your front subframe then the tire store would have pointed them out to you and either try to sell you repairs or tell you to junk your car.