RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Any taller 'trail' RX's?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-23, 11:33 AM
ShoeDawg
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Any taller 'trail' RX's?

I'm looking to pick up a 3rd gen RX450h and was hoping to have it sit a bit taller and put on a more 'meaty' wheel/tire combination. Essentially make it a bit more rugged/multi-terrain, but still have it fully livable. Does anyone do this to RX models? I found one (black w/gold-wheels, pictured) that is in the vein of what I'd like, but it's from overseas somewhere. Other than that one, I haven't seen anything else like it.

I also seem to notice that the 450h hybrid seems to sit a touch higher than most (see 450h image). Is that characteristic of the hybrid? That is sits a bit taller?

If anyone has images of other RX configurations like this, I'd love to see them. Or if anyone knows what smaller-wheel/taller-tire combo fits on the RX, I'd really appreciate it!

Old 04-28-23, 02:46 PM
Roscol
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

I think they tried a similar style back in 1980, it was called the American Eagle 4wd station wagon.

FUGLY as hell!

The RX is more car than Land Cruiser.

Old 04-28-23, 03:13 PM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 410 Likes on 327 Posts

Yep, these RX vehicles are simply not robust enough to use as an off-trail workhorse.
Old 04-28-23, 05:13 PM
ShoeDawg
3rd Gear

Ha! Not even... (but I like your 40+ year ago reference; they were forward thinkers in a super-ugly design. Agreed)

Actually, most auto makers have 'trail' versions of their SUV/CUVs... the Honda Passport, Ford Bronco Sport (pic), Toyota RAV4 (pic), many Subies, and even Jeeps-that-aren't Jeeps (Compass, etc.). Those are all uni-body vehicles with a slight ruggedization. (actually, some off-road really well, like the Passport). In fact, even some 'trucks' are unibody now (Honda Ridgeline).

I'm not looking for a hard-core, rock-climbing "off-roader", I just need a bit more capability out of the RX... a bit more clearance, a bit more bite and compliance out of the tires for the muck of a PNW winter... and I'm not the only one, for I found what I was looking for.

Originally Posted by Roscol
I think they tried a similar style back in 1980, it was called the American Eagle 4wd station wagon.

FUGLY as hell!

Old 04-28-23, 05:26 PM
ShoeDawg
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by RX in NC
Yep, these RX vehicles are simply not robust enough to use as an off-trail workhorse.
Hmm, I may have not have clarified well, I'm not looking for an "off-trail workhorse"... more so I'm just looking to make it more "on-trail" capable. These RX's are more capable than people give them credit for, but you are correct they aren't rock climbers of any kind. They have stubby, angled-up front and rear overhangs (which makes for great approach and depart angles), and they're pretty 'on-trail' capable. I've had several older models (RX300 and RX330's).

I did find what I was looking for. Turns out several other people are looking for the same thing, and they make little strut tower spacers to give just a touch more clearance (see pic). Also found out maximum tire diameter is 29.5", which equates to 245/65/17 (which is probably what's on that black RX that I posted, and what is in the pic).

no "4-wheelin'"... just muck and mud

245/65/17

Strut tower spacer for the 3rd gen RX

Last edited by ShoeDawg; 04-28-23 at 05:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RadiantX45 (05-01-23)
Old 04-28-23, 05:32 PM
ShoeDawg
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Roscol

FUGLY as hell!

Ha! Love the 40+ year-go-reference. They were forward thinkers in their approach, but I agree it was about as ugly as one could make those old Eagles!

As to my ask, it's actually what all the current SUV/CUV automakers are doing in creating 'trail' packages for their vehicles. They're everywhere from the Honda Passport to the Ford Bronco Sport to Toyota RAV4's (not to mention all the Subies and Jeeps-that-aren't-Jeeps); they're all body-on-frame. In fact, even 'trucks' are body on frame (Ridgeline)... and some are impressively capable (notably the Passport). None are off-road vehicles, but all are notably more rugged and capable that their mini-van-tired counterparts.

Old 05-01-23, 09:33 AM
ShoeDawg
3rd Gear

Default Lexus already makes, as a factory option

Turns out Lexus already makes exactly what I was looking for, and they make it as a factory option: adjustable ride height (using an air suspension). It has the ability to raise the RX a total of 30mm (1.18") for a bit more clearance on challenging terrain. Perfect. Unfortunately, it's a rare option in the U.S. market; it's mostly found abroad. Here's an image of how to know the vehicle is optioned with the adjustable height; if you see this on the dash, it has the option. [the other cool aspect is that the system's ECU will automatically lower the ride height at elevated speed, and then bring the height back up when you slow down... perfect for switching from paved road to mountain cabin trail]

Also, looks like people abroad know the capability of the RX as an inclimate-weather, broken-terrain, on-trail adventure vehicle. Here are just a few of the videos (you can see how the nice approach angle (29 degrees) and departure angle (25 degrees), along with a slightly elevated height, make it easy to stomp around mild terrain. That's just what I am looking for. Now to find one.

Air ride at full height in the snow (check out the approach angle at the 0:45 mark)

One more with the air ride highlighting the approach angle clearance; there are many videos out there like this, and they're all from abroad.

The following users liked this post:
RadiantX45 (05-01-23)
Old 05-01-23, 12:57 PM
Yahmei
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm sure there could be more if you did more digging, but a company by the name of Rising Tuning out in Kazakhstan has a 40mm strut spacer for $225 USD https://risingtuning.com/lift-kits/product-898

There's also someone on Reddit that has their RX350 lifted on 30mm strut spacers with 255/65r18's. Their username is Tree_fidddyyy if you want to shoot them a message for specifics; they seem pretty active and is from California.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Lexus/comme...n_rxs_on_here/

Last edited by Yahmei; 05-01-23 at 01:05 PM. Reason: added a photo
The following 2 users liked this post by Yahmei:
ShoeDawg (05-01-23), TRDOffroad (05-01-23)
Old 07-05-23, 06:48 AM
Yahmei
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

@ShoeDawg

Any word back about lifts?

Was looking around on Amazon and I found a 40mm (1.57") strut spacer there for $235

Amazon Amazon

There's another thread about lifting RXs here with two other RXers that did some modifications to a 3rd gen on page 4 and 5

https://us.lexusownersclub.com/forum...ires/#comments

I'm about to just trade in my RX for a GX/4Runner and call it a day; the lack of aftermarket for this platform is aggravating as a car enthusiast that wants to wrench