RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

New Guy with Questions... Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-23, 08:14 AM
KenSpringTx
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question New Guy with Questions... Maintenance

Thanks in advance for your feedback... 2015 RX... 109000 miles... What maintenance needs to be done? Is there a timing belt/water pump due?
I assume replace CV joints/drive shafts when they do go out...?
On my to do list ...
1) trans fluid change
2) Spark Plug Change?
3) Oil/Filter
4) Air Filter
5 Cabin Filter
6) what else?
Also, how do I know what options my 350 came with? (luxury/navigation/ etc...)
Thanks again for your knowledge in all things Lexus!
Old 06-15-23, 09:16 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 410 Likes on 327 Posts

No timing belt, it is a timing chain. Should be good for the life of the vehicle.

ATF should be changed every 50,000 to 60,000 miles. There are threads on the forum here that instruct you how to do a series of three successive drain-and-fills. Only 2.25 to 2.5 quarts drains out at a time.

The OEM iridium spark plugs are typically good for 120,000 to 150,000 miles or more. Your call on whether to do them now. I would not.

New air filter every 30,000 miles.

6.5 quarts of 0W20 synthetic oil and a new oil filter cartridge every 10,000 miles according to the service manual. Some owners change it more often than that.

The early rear shocks tended to leak by 55,000 to 60,000 miles. Lexus supposedly fixed that issue by the 2015 model year. Take a good look at yours while you are there.

The following 4 users liked this post by RX in NC:
carguy75 (06-25-23), Clutchless (06-15-23), KenSpringTx (06-15-23), RX10 (06-16-23)
Old 06-15-23, 10:30 AM
KenSpringTx
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply... concerning the trans fluid swap out... is it too late in the life of the trans (109,000) to start trans fluid maintenance?

Thanks!
Old 06-15-23, 10:56 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Fresh ATF in these relatively mediocre transmissions is always a good idea.

Three rules to follow in order to increase your chances for achieving the longest life out of your factory transmission as possible:
1. These things are NOT race cars, so do not drive it like one -- no jackrabbit starts and stops.
2. Do not use it as a tow rig.
3. Change the ATF at least every 50,000 to 60,000 miles with the appropriate fluid, and more often if you wish.
The following users liked this post:
KenSpringTx (06-15-23)
Old 06-15-23, 11:31 AM
salimshah

Received 1,046 Likes on 944 Posts

I keep harping about the Warranty and service manual [thinnest of the set]. It lists service items recommend by Lexus based on Milage and time. If the previous owner is like me, I make the entry there. You can catch up on missed services after checking with Lexus or any kept record.

As pointed out these items are minimum and you can choose to do more.

Most important of all is at the visual check and drive test. These can uncover issues.

Salim
KenSpringTx (06-15-23)
Old 06-15-23, 02:50 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,160 Likes on 990 Posts

If you join the Lexus Drivers Site for free, you can look up your VIN and see the dealer service history of the vehicle, and its build sheet showing the options on it.
​​​​​​https://www.lexus.com/My-Lexus/account/create-account
KenSpringTx (06-15-23)
Old 06-15-23, 06:30 PM
KenSpringTx
Driver School Candidate

Team, one more thing... searching Youtube, I see with the navigation option, one can set the intervals for maintenance (oil, rotation, filters, etc.)... is there a way to do that without the Navigation option? thanks again...
Old 06-16-23, 06:48 AM
afpj
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

I don't see mentioned whether all-wheel drive or not. If all-wheel drive, recommend changing the differential fluids, front and rear. Nearly everywhere we drive in the United States is considered severe service IMHO, so pay attention to that section in the manual.
Old 06-19-23, 12:23 PM
KenSpringTx
Driver School Candidate

Ok, one last question concerning the trans fluid swap, something similar to this might be posted already.. but.. if I were to drain the trans fluid at ambient temperature (pull the pan plug and remove the measuring tube... drain all the fluid in the trans pan), measure and replace with the exact amount of new fluid at ambient temperature, would this work???

Many Thanks!

The New Guy...
Old 06-19-23, 12:45 PM
RX in NC
Racer

Yes. That is what quite a few of us do, usually three successive drain-and-fills with at least 30 miles of driving in between. Just be sure to let the vehicle sit overnight to cool back down to ambient temperature between each drain-and-fill. If you have the 6-speed transmission (Aisin U660E), you will need 7 quarts of fresh ATF and you will use almost all of it. I stuck with the OEM Toyota WS ATF in case the unit fails during our ownership. Having only OEM fluid in the unit should increase my chances of getting repair reimbursement assistance from Lexus if needed.
Old 06-19-23, 02:09 PM
KenSpringTx
Driver School Candidate

Many thanks! I think I have this! I will order 8 quarts... (so much for my gallon measuring jug... LOL.. I will improvise)
I appreciate all the support!
Old 06-19-23, 02:48 PM
KenSpringTx
Driver School Candidate

Sorry, on more question... is that almost 7 quarts per swap out or for all three swap outs??
Ordering now and just wanted to be sure.

Thanks again,
Old 06-19-23, 03:37 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,160 Likes on 990 Posts

2.25 quarts per drain.
See more instructions below.
See this link to the Toyota Highlander forum at Toyota Nation. This is for general instruction only. Do not do their complicated fluid measurement nonsense. Just drain, measure and put that much back in plus a few ounces. If you only drain 1.8 quarts, put 2.25 quarts back in. Your car will drive better. Having done many of these, I think the proper fill amount is 2.25 to get a correct fluid level. The vehicle drives better with this fluid amount.

https://www.toyotanation.com/threads.../#post-6632761

Get this fluid, Idemitsu ATF Type TLS-LV (WS) Automatic Transmission Fluid for Toyota, Lexus, Scion - 5QT
it is better than WS, it is an exact full synthetic replacement for WS and is cheaper. You can get it at Amazn. 5 quart jug for $60.
Amazon Amazon

Each drain is about 2.25 quarts. You can get buckets with graduated measurements on the side at Home Depot or Lowes or Wal-Mart in the paint department. These buckets make it very easy to measure what is drained. They have different sizes, get one that holds about a gallon.

Do the drain when the engine is room temp. as the fluid expands when hot and will screw up your measurements.

See this thread for more discussion on how to do the fluid change. See post 9, 47 48 which has a photo etc look at some of the linked PDFs. Also 62 & 76 have photos

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...d-threads.html

I will paste some of the instructions here.

First make sure you can remove the fill plug which is inside the driver side front fender, behind the tire. . On the side of the transmission housing is a fill plug.which is 24mm Sometimes this bolt is hard to remove. You may have to use a breaker bar or a torque wrench. This is the hole to use to put the tranny oil. You should remove the driver side front tire to get at it. Then you must remove a small flap at the lower edge of the fender liner which has 10mm bolts and a plastic plug.

To fill, get a long funnel or 2-ft long plastic tubing that will fit the fill hole. At the other end, tape a funnel. I use duct tape. Put the plastic tubing down into the fill hole and insert it in. Now you are ready to fill. Fill the amount you removed plus a few ounces more for spillage. Clean up the mess and bolt everything back. Save the tubing for next time.

The pan drain bolt takes a 6mm ALLEN bolt, remove it then let it drain until it stops which is about a quart. Then you have to remove the plastic overflow tube that is inside the hole and also takes a 6mm Allen wrench. Then the rest of the fluid will drain. Be very careful putting the overflow tube back. It does not need torque or you will break it. Just slow screw it in until it stops.

1) You must remove the inner overflow tube to fully drain the pan. The purpose of the inner tube is to adjust the fluid level of warm ATF fluid using the very complicated Toyota/Lexus procedure - which you do not have to do if just doing a cold drain and fill. It takes a 6MM allen wrench and is plastic so be very careful. When screwing it back in just barely tighten it because the drain plug covers it up and does all the sealing and you do not want to break it.

2) You can just turn the wheel to the left to get at it, but it is easier if the wheel is removed. You have to spend 10 minutes removing the trim pieces at the lower front corner of the felt fender liner to get at the bolt on the side of the transmission. Then it is easy to stick a long funnel in to fill it up.

Be sure to measure exactly how much fluid you drained and put that much back in with maybe a few ounces more. I like to do it cold because hot fluid expands. When both the vehicle and new fluid are the same temperature you can be sure the amounts drained and replaced are the same.

Last edited by Clutchless; 06-19-23 at 04:12 PM.
Riz1 (06-21-23)
Old 06-19-23, 05:44 PM
KenSpringTx
Driver School Candidate

Understood! Thanks, as always, for the summary! I get it! I hope the 109000 without service hasn't shortened the life of the transmission.. I did get into an argument with the Lexus sales guy selling me the RX... though he gave me that life of the vehicle / unknown number of miles BS, he also gave me the impression the clutch pack shavings are keeping the transmission going... and if I changed it, there would be no more friction clutch dust and no more transmission! I sure hope he isn't right on this change... oooof! thanks again!
Old 06-20-23, 04:01 AM
RX in NC
Racer

To measure the old drained ATF, I used an empty gallon milk jug that I had previously poured water into to measure and mark lines at 2 quarts, 2.25 quarts, and 2.5 quarts. Each of my three successive drain amounts were exactly 2.25 quarts.

Last edited by RX in NC; 06-20-23 at 04:07 AM.
KenSpringTx (06-20-23)

Quick Reply: New Guy with Questions... Maintenance