RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Liftgate motor damaged in collision?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-23, 09:37 AM
tsn
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Liftgate motor damaged in collision?

My 2015 RX350 was rear-ended last year damaging the quarter panel, bumper and liftgate. The liftgate was repaired and the everything else was replaced. Took a few months and it wasn't cheap but fortunately it was covered by insurance. Work was done at a reputable body shop recommended by the local Lexus dealership.

I tried to use the liftgate within 30 minutes of me picking it up from the body shop and it wasn't working properly (I had no problems with it before). It would move and beep erratically and then it stopped moving at all. Body shop wasn't able to figure out what was wrong and sent me to the dealership to diagnose it. As it happened, when I got to the dealership the liftgate was functioning properly.

Fast forward 9 months and the exact same problem has recurred. I took it back to the dealership and they have diagnosed a failing liftgate motor and quoted over $2000 to replace it. The body shop refused to authorize the dealership to repair it.

Could the liftgate motor failure have been caused by the shop not installing the liftgate correctly? Could the motor have been damaged in the collision? I am concerned that the body shop will refuse to replace it by claiming that it was unrelated to the accident or their work. Not sure how they would reconcile that with the fact that it was working when came into (and while it was in) their shop and the issue literally occurred within minutes of me picking it up.
Old 07-14-23, 10:18 AM
salimshah

Received 1,075 Likes on 968 Posts

Expect all sorts of answers on the net but at the end the solution (if any) will have to come from the body-shop/dealership/you.

Things can breake due to shoddy repairs but they can breakdown due to other reasons. This is where the warranty after repairs applies.
One solution I can suggest is that float the idea to the repair shop that third party determines the root cause of failure and if it is found to be shoddy repairs then the repair shop absorbs the new-repair.
You can also ask the dealership to supply parts at a discount [no harm in asking 10%off]. If the motor was replaced the dealership has a guarantee time and if it has not lapsed the part may be free.
Do keep in mind that things fail too.

Kind of complex situation and negotiations can resolve the situation.

Salim
Old 07-15-23, 05:32 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,175 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Be prepared for both parties to deny any coverage. This will be impossible to attribute to the accident since it worked off and on and so much time has passed.
Or contact the insurance company yourself and ask them to reopen the claim. The worst that can happen is denial of more coverage.

You can get an aftermarket or used motor and have an independent shop install it or follow the instructions on this youtube video. Other members have done it themselves. There is no need to pay insane dealer prices for this repair.
​​​​​​
Old 07-15-23, 09:11 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 422 Likes on 338 Posts

^^ What he said.