RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Bullet-proof / better choice, 2nd. gen RX vs. 3rd. gen RX

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-23, 08:30 AM
McCrackin
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bullet-proof / better choice, 2nd. gen RX vs. 3rd. gen RX

Need to replace daughters 1st. gen RX,
What generation/year (2004 - 2015) is the most problem free? 1st. gen was fun; Transmission / Coils / Cat. converter, struts... I realize newer is usually better, but I'd like to keep it under $9k.
What say the "Hive-mind"? I know trucks better than I know these cars, your experience/advice is appreciated.
Thank You!

Popular Reply

08-05-23, 09:49 AM
MattRX
Racer

Received 755 Likes on 543 Posts

As for 2nd gen vs 3rd gen, I made a list for a friend who was trying to get one or the other. They ended up getting a 2nd gen as it was cheaper and easier to retrofit a radio in. Having both, I prefer the 2nd gen far more. Mainly for having more utility while being physically smaller and more car-like.

Pros and cons of RXs -

2007-2009 RX:
- Quicker and more nimble (more car-like but still utilitarian)
- Lightweight and smaller, easier to park and see out of with better visibility
- Smaller rims & tires = cheaper replacement and less weight
- Superior full-time AWD system with viscous coupling transfer case
- Hydraulic steering for more steering feel and cheaper replacement parts
- Easier and less expensive to buy parts for it, uses more generic parts
- Super reliable and serviceable 5-spd transmission that is not sealed
- Easier to retrofit a headunit into, less integration (unless you have NAV)
- Better overall interior and exterior build quality
- Quieter exhaust and intake (if you prefer that)
- Simpler HVAC and radio controls than a 3rd gen
Cons:
- You can tell it's a car from 2004, lacking newer features and technology, but I see this as a pro
- PS system can leak if neglected, cheaper to fix vs electric but less reliable
- More prone to cam phaser VVT-i rattle on neglected examples
- Prone to trunk leaks which may have to be sealed
- Spare tire underneath car
- Less hwy efficiency vs newer RX because of slightly inferior aerodynamics and true AWD system
- Inferior brake performance to newer RX (can easily switch)
- Rubber oil cooler and VVT-i line (can easily switch) Check on car being purchased as this was recall
- Dashboard more susceptible to cracking

2010-2012 RX:
- More refined interior and exterior
- Cooled seats available
- Higher ride height (advantage for some people, I prefer the lower ride height of older model)
- Wider body allows for wider trunk space and more interior room for passengers
- Rear shocks in the back are cheaper to replace and allow for more trunk space
- Cam phaser problem solved
- 2011+ came with metal oil cooler line and VVT-i line as standard
- More aerodynamic and extra gear in the transmission allows for lower RPM on hwy = better mileage on hwy
- Larger car: you have more room in the engine bay to work on it
- Comes with larger front sway bar and brakes already, so you don't have to swap them in
- Some steering shafts were faulty on 2010-2012 and will clunk, not a safety issue just annoying
Cons:
- Huge plastic covers in engine bay are annoying to take off
- Body parts are expensive and hard to find, car is too expensive and new to be easily be found in junkyard
- More desirable to thieves and buyers, it is harder to get the car
- More complex computers and systems make for a harder DIY experience on certain tasks
- Heavier weight leads to worse handling, rougher rider and worse city mileage and driving experience
- Air conditioner is more prone to failure on 2010-2012
- Electric steering while more reliable, does not provide the same feedback
- Less visibility due to more sloped body lines
- Leather is thinner and more susceptible to tearing
- Headrests are not adjustable, and are less comfortable
Old 08-03-23, 10:06 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 410 Likes on 327 Posts

During the past 20 years my wife has had a 2000 RX300, a 2004 RX330, and now has her current 2015 RX350. Her 2000 model was problematic, especially the transmission (replaced under warranty by Lexus Corporate at 44,000 miles). Her 2015 model is better-than-average. Her 2004 model definitely had the best build quality of the three.
Old 08-03-23, 11:16 AM
Riz1
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

either 1st or 2nd gen. Your not getting a 3rd gen for under 9k.
Old 08-03-23, 11:57 PM
carguy75
Intermediate

Received 96 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by McCrackin
What generation/year (2004 - 2015) is the most problem free? 1st. gen was fun; Transmission / Coils / Cat. converter, struts... I realize newer is usually better, but I'd like to keep it under $9k.
What say the "Hive-mind"? I know trucks better than I know these cars, your experience/advice is appreciated.
Thank You!
To be honest any used RX you buy for $9k will need some repair. Like mentioned above you will not find a 3rd gen in good proper running condition for $9k.

Old 08-04-23, 04:05 PM
RadiantX45
Pit Crew

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

I will say my old 2004 RX 330 is a tank. It’s old and feels old but that thing has really been through it and is still fine, coming up on 20 years w/ 230,000 miles.

Any year RX can be good a car. You just have to know what to take care of immediately and what to look for in the history. Some years have more to sort out but still better than the competition.

I do see a 2011 RX350 Premium Package w/ adaptive cruise control (extremely rare combo) in Indiana for $9,990. But it has 205,000 miles and might be rusty. That’s the cheapest I’ve seen in the third gen past couple of years. I think you’re better off looking at 2nd gen with your budget. And realize 2nd gen is getting old.
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/link/358050673
The following users liked this post:
carguy75 (08-05-23)
Old 08-04-23, 06:54 PM
salimshah

Received 1,046 Likes on 944 Posts

What the OP is asking is only applicable when the vehicle is sold new. Once you pass the warranty period, it all depends upon use and care.

In general features are constantly added with newer models and at times cost cutting measures reduce the expected life. Other are driving conditions ... now if you drive at 65mph it seems you are the slowest vehicle as very one is doing 75 or more.

I would say pony up as much money as possible and buy the latest vehicle [3+ years]. Then keep the vehicle as long as you possibly can.

Salim
Old 08-05-23, 01:16 AM
carguy75
Intermediate

Received 96 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by RadiantX45
I will say my old 2004 RX 330 is a tank. It’s old and feels old but that thing has really been through it and is still fine, coming up on 20 years w/ 230,000 miles.

Any year RX can be good a car. You just have to know what to take care of immediately and what to look for in the history. Some years have more to sort out but still better than the competition.

I do see a 2011 RX350 Premium Package w/ adaptive cruise control (extremely rare combo) in Indiana for $9,990. But it has 205,000 miles and might be rusty. That’s the cheapest I’ve seen in the third gen past couple of years. I think you’re better off looking at 2nd gen with your budget. And realize 2nd gen is getting old.
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/link/358050673
Darn good find if there is no unwanted surprises related to the the drive-train and/or metal in the body/frame.
Old 08-05-23, 05:15 AM
Chapp
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I'll jump on this thread since it seems to be along the lines of my question. If mods wish, and I'm hijacking, let me knwo and I'll move it or start a new one.

I wrecked my honda civic 09 w 270k, still had 100k left at least.
She wants a newer car than her 05 RX which has major paint peeling, everything else is solid as I've been taking care of it and doing all work myself.

Found a 2010 RX 350 for $11,500 from a dealer. 158,786 miles. Car fax says one minor accident w/ front damage.
2 owners, but both have regularly taken them to the local lexus dealer for service. VIN says made in Canada.

I haven't gone to physically look at it yet as A I am waiting on check from insurance and B we leave for Florida today and won't be back until next Sunday. We live in Ohio.
Hoping car will still be there. I know I am risking losing it.
If still there when we get back I know most of what to look for under body, etc. Anything major engine/body different from the 330 I should look for?
I do know to check oil cooler lines although I would think it would've been done by now.
What are the thoughts on this car?

Interested in what @MattRX thinks as well.
Thanks all and sorry if this is hijacking the thread.
I just figured it might answer some of the OP's questions as well.
Old 08-05-23, 09:40 AM
MattRX
Racer

Check underneath the passenger front wheel well to see if there is a timing cover leak. A good leak will soak the power steering pump (on a 07-09 350) cv axle and coat the bottom of the subframe and even in the case of my car, the oil pan. It’ll be easier to spot on a 3rd gen RX as they don’t have a PS pump in the way. (Electric steering).

As you know, check underneath for the metal oil cooler line, and go in the engine bay and remove the engine cover and check on the passenger side to see if the VVT-i bank 1 oil line is the updated metal version too. Both appearances of the lines are in my RX DIY post below in my signature. Every 2010-2012 I saw had these updated lines, so I think they should already have them if the cars were serviced at Lexus.

Check to see if the AC compressor kicks on, if it doesn’t there’s a fix for the 2010-2011 where you have to place a neo magnet on a sensor on the compressor which allows it to work again. I have personally had to do this as well as many others and it does indeed work!

Check the rear shocks as well because apparently they like to leak on pre-facelift 2010-2012 cars.

Although by 2010 I think the updated cam phasers were standard at that point, but don’t let them show you the car warm and insist that it is cold. You’ll want to hear if there’s a VVT-i rattle from the cam
phasers on a cold start.
The following 2 users liked this post by MattRX:
carguy75 (08-06-23), Chapp (08-05-23)
Old 08-05-23, 09:49 AM
MattRX
Racer

As for 2nd gen vs 3rd gen, I made a list for a friend who was trying to get one or the other. They ended up getting a 2nd gen as it was cheaper and easier to retrofit a radio in. Having both, I prefer the 2nd gen far more. Mainly for having more utility while being physically smaller and more car-like.

Pros and cons of RXs -

2007-2009 RX:
- Quicker and more nimble (more car-like but still utilitarian)
- Lightweight and smaller, easier to park and see out of with better visibility
- Smaller rims & tires = cheaper replacement and less weight
- Superior full-time AWD system with viscous coupling transfer case
- Hydraulic steering for more steering feel and cheaper replacement parts
- Easier and less expensive to buy parts for it, uses more generic parts
- Super reliable and serviceable 5-spd transmission that is not sealed
- Easier to retrofit a headunit into, less integration (unless you have NAV)
- Better overall interior and exterior build quality
- Quieter exhaust and intake (if you prefer that)
- Simpler HVAC and radio controls than a 3rd gen
Cons:
- You can tell it's a car from 2004, lacking newer features and technology, but I see this as a pro
- PS system can leak if neglected, cheaper to fix vs electric but less reliable
- More prone to cam phaser VVT-i rattle on neglected examples
- Prone to trunk leaks which may have to be sealed
- Spare tire underneath car
- Less hwy efficiency vs newer RX because of slightly inferior aerodynamics and true AWD system
- Inferior brake performance to newer RX (can easily switch)
- Rubber oil cooler and VVT-i line (can easily switch) Check on car being purchased as this was recall
- Dashboard more susceptible to cracking

2010-2012 RX:
- More refined interior and exterior
- Cooled seats available
- Higher ride height (advantage for some people, I prefer the lower ride height of older model)
- Wider body allows for wider trunk space and more interior room for passengers
- Rear shocks in the back are cheaper to replace and allow for more trunk space
- Cam phaser problem solved
- 2011+ came with metal oil cooler line and VVT-i line as standard
- More aerodynamic and extra gear in the transmission allows for lower RPM on hwy = better mileage on hwy
- Larger car: you have more room in the engine bay to work on it
- Comes with larger front sway bar and brakes already, so you don't have to swap them in
- Some steering shafts were faulty on 2010-2012 and will clunk, not a safety issue just annoying
Cons:
- Huge plastic covers in engine bay are annoying to take off
- Body parts are expensive and hard to find, car is too expensive and new to be easily be found in junkyard
- More desirable to thieves and buyers, it is harder to get the car
- More complex computers and systems make for a harder DIY experience on certain tasks
- Heavier weight leads to worse handling, rougher rider and worse city mileage and driving experience
- Air conditioner is more prone to failure on 2010-2012
- Electric steering while more reliable, does not provide the same feedback
- Less visibility due to more sloped body lines
- Leather is thinner and more susceptible to tearing
- Headrests are not adjustable, and are less comfortable

Last edited by MattRX; 08-05-23 at 09:55 AM.
The following 10 users liked this post by MattRX:
01LEXPL (12-27-23), carguy75 (08-06-23), Chapp (08-05-23), ChiefP (08-06-23), doji (08-08-23), Felix (12-25-23), finallyayo (01-10-24), fred9xx (03-18-24), RadiantX45 (08-20-23), salimshah (08-05-23) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-05-23, 09:55 AM
Chapp
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks Matt. Exactly what i was needing to know.
I'll let ya'll know what I figure out.
Old 12-25-23, 10:19 AM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 484 Likes on 420 Posts

To add to Matt's input, when I was looking I find the 2nd gen was more cost effective vs the 3 gen......My thoughts are, I didn't think it was worth a additional 5-8K for a gen3, besides I prefer the looks/style of the gen2. Main thing for me was mileage/condition vs cost. Then color/options...
Old 12-25-23, 10:33 AM
MattRX
Racer

Same. For me the gen 2 vs gen 3 was simple. The gen 3 doesn’t offer any more utility vs the 2 but is bigger, heavier, trades off the full-time AWD and hydraulic PS which contributes a lot to why it’s not as nice or fun to drive. Our gen 3 gets a little worse mileage in the city despite the 8-speed, not surprised as it’s heavier. That 8-speed and going into FWD mode on the hwy helps the mpgs a little, but it’s not as big of an improvement as promised over a gen 2. Still a great vehicle and I wouldn’t hesitate to own one, but I’d pick gen 2 any day. I just added the goodies I missed from the gen 3 onto the 2 (Bigger brakes, bigger sway bars, heated steering, F-sport pedals, wider tires).

Edit:

The Gen 3 is definitely more refined and a little quieter, even with my addition of more sound deadening into my Gen 2 (reduced a LOT of road noise), the Gen 3 has less wind noise due to a higher amount of seals that also happen to be thicker, especially around the headliner where they make an extremely tight seal. They're thicker and better, but also more difficult to remove or replace if you want to run a dash cam or other wiring. A stock Gen 3 comes more "complete" than a Gen 2 RX in terms of features. If you like to tinker with cars and modify stuff, a Gen 2 is a great choice. A Gen 2 will drive and brake even nicer with a few little modifications and parts from the Gen 3. The gen 3 has more proprietary parts, especially for the interior and between pre-facelift and post-facelift. The Gen 2 does a lot more sharing within the whole 04-09 run, and between a 01-07 Highlander.

Last edited by MattRX; 12-25-23 at 10:55 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by MattRX:
Felix (12-25-23), fred9xx (03-18-24)
Old 12-25-23, 06:29 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 484 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by McCrackin
Thank You!
-'If your budget is 9K, your best off w/ a later 2nd gen, '07-'09 w/ a 2gr.....With a few upgrades, steel oil cooler lines, bank one steel vvt line, gen3 brakes, direct bolt on.......
MattRX (12-25-23)
Old 12-27-23, 11:37 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Go with a 2008-2009 RX Gen 2. For 9k, you can find those calmly driven, older folks owned cars... with reasonable mileage.
I recall the 08 came with the steel VVTI oil cooler lines, and it was the second year of the 2gr.

Depending where its from, the headlights will 80% likely be toast - it seems Lexus had a few bad years with these. Get something aftermarket, or re-clear the lenses PROFESSIONALLY at a bodyshop (to give you 3-4yrs of peace)

Otherwise, they're pretty maintenance free cars... Gas & change various fluids when needed... My brother's first car is a 2004. Has 298KMs on it. Been in the family since 2007. Haven't had to do much... four bearings... one set of struts, a few links, two timing belt services, brakes a few times.
fred9xx (03-18-24)

Quick Reply: Bullet-proof / better choice, 2nd. gen RX vs. 3rd. gen RX