RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

CV Axle driver side

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-23, 09:00 PM
earencibia73
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV Axle driver side

Hello Gente
So I was removing strut Front Left (Driver side) unfortunately for me the knuckle weight caused to pull out the boot of the inner side . So now I need of help select tool to pull the inner I ,don't want damage the trans case, Ive seen videos of hammer puller . Is there a specific size Axle puller??? Ive look up and called all the local Parts no knows , I'm in Military area of Washington state were things/knowledge is limited .Can anyone lend so wisdom. Thank you so much !!!
Old 09-03-23, 09:04 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

Not sure you much working space you have but a standard slide hammer should work. I use vice grips to secure the hammer to the axle tulip it doesn't take that much force to pop it out of the transmission.

Slide hammers are pretty much all the same I have a version of this. No it is not super high quality not a tool you'd buy if you are a pro mechanic. But for occasional work it's fine
Amazon Amazon
Old 09-04-23, 09:12 AM
salimshah

Received 1,046 Likes on 944 Posts

Disclimer ... I have worked on first gen RX, but I don't think the 3rd gen would be very different.

Please do not use any tool to pull out the axle shaft specially on the wheel side of the shaft. The CV Axle joint has the built in longitudinal stretch and compression to compensate for the wheel as it bounces up and down with respect to the transmission. If you pull on the far end other end of the joint the joint will come apart.

There is a clip on the shaft that snaps in the transmission. You have to overcome the snap hold and you can apply reasonable outward pull on the shaft piece that goes into the transmission. For me they separated with a sharp pull, but if you want you can put a clamp on the shaft and use the engine block or other member to create leverage.

Just make sure you do not pull apart any joint. I have seen folks using a hammer to force the shaft back in [again make sure you put the spindle nut to prevent any damage] when you get to that point.

Incidentally the CV shaft for front wheel drive vehicles are very similar. You are not limited to Lexus/Toyota experienced mechanics.

Salim
PS Don't skimp on a new snap and and a new seal.

Last edited by salimshah; 09-04-23 at 09:15 AM. Reason: PS