RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Cooling fan last year, now radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-23, 03:32 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts
Angry Cooling fan last year, now radiator?

Last summer, the cooling fan on our 13 RX went out at an exorbitant repair cost, now this year the radiator! Both times half the front end had to be disassembled, so $1300 last year and $1000 this year. What gives? I've never had a half ounce of issues with any of my Lexus vehicles till they had well over 150k on the odo. We're not even at 90k and we've replaced the above, plus shocks in the last year alone.

Anyone else having issues with their RX like we are? Is it normal for radiators and cooling fans to go out so early on these models? I'm in Phoenix so heat is a factor, but so have all my other Lexus.

Contrast that to my 99 GS - Alternator at 150k, My 03 GX - Air springs at 125k miles, this RX isn't doing nearly as well.

Don't like the power in the RX. Seats are uncomfortable, ride is average and the mileage is a joke. I've been debating going back to a GX for a while now, but not having a car payment at the current ridiculous prices has been appealing. On top of that, we were under the impression the RX was more reliable than it has been, but we're coming up on $350 a month average for repairs in a year. Things are getting close to a newer car payment if this keeps up.

Just curious what experience others are having. If the same, I may just make the move on a different car, hoping this isn't the new norm or worse for Toyota products....
Old 09-12-23, 05:32 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 422 Likes on 338 Posts

My wife had a 2000 RX300 AWD built in Japan (I sold it at 130,000 miles), a 2004 RX330 AWD built in Japan (I sold it at 135,000 miles), and now has a 2015 RX350 FWD built in Canada (approaching 94,000 miles). Her RX300 was troublesome, her RX350 has been relatively good, but her RX330 undoubtedly had the best build quality. Lexus simply does not build vehicles to the quality levels they did 20 years ago. Your Phoenix heat may be adding to your issues as well.
Old 09-12-23, 09:02 AM
salimshah

Received 1,075 Likes on 968 Posts

When we discuss failures the issue is multidimensional. As a customer the thing that matters is cost or repairs out of pocket plus the inconvenience.

From engineering point of view it is typically failure rate, say 20k vehicles sold and how many reported failed radiators [just one example]. There may be further classifications as to climate in the region used.
Then there is inter-dependance, like cooling fan failure may lead to over-stressed radiator.
Misdiagnosis is yet another.

We as customers are highly influenced by our personal experience, but the right way [imho] is to look at overall statistics. The radiator top is plastic and typically it develops a crack or a leak. Ignoring early life failures, they typically do not develop any issue 2x warranty. Switching from copper to plastic has helped in reducing cost and improved fuel economy.

As far as cost, there are ways to bring it down. Regrettably it involves investing in tools and learning skills and at times paying a price in handling collateral damage.. Next would be finding an honest independent mechanic.

Lexus brand model is relatively higher reliability [leant from mass production] and having a service charge below European brands. So customers end up paying a bit more for relatively less occurring problems. Failures will still happen.

Salim
Old 09-13-23, 06:36 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I got the car back yesterday. I do use an Indy shop. With the radiator fan failure, I had no choice but to go to the dealer. They are way closer to me than the Indy shop, so I got up before the heat and drove it there before the engine temp could get too high. Total highway robbery, but towing to my Indy shop would have made up the difference.

The shop told me the radiator is a common failure point at lower mileage for most newer Lexus cars here in the desert. It’s just something we have to deal with in our climate and since going to the plastic radiators. Pretty disappointing, but I guess we really have no options.
Old 09-13-23, 10:08 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 422 Likes on 338 Posts

I despise plastic parts in ANY cooling system, but all the manufacturers have unfortunately been going more and more in that direction during the past 15 to 20 years in an effort to save money. My wife's 2006 Jaguar XK8 convertible was built with two lousy plastic Norma connectors that join four of the multiple coolant hoses in all of the 2003 to 2006 XK8s. Both of these lousy plastic Norma connectors invariably wind up leaking at some point and the well-known fix recommended on the Jaguar forum is to cut them out and install two appropriately-sized brass hose barbs from NAPA instead (along with the appropriate hose clamps) for a grand total of maybe $15. That cheap fix solves the problem permanently.
The following 3 users liked this post by RX in NC:
Clutchless (09-14-23), MattRX (09-19-23), rj4510 (09-27-23)
Old 09-19-23, 10:27 AM
salimshah

Received 1,075 Likes on 968 Posts

I have had a fair bit of experience with radiators on Lexus [different models] and all have failed at 110K+ miles and from the same area ... top off the radiator which is molded plastic.
It as a cost cutting measure ... going from copper [old] to plastic [state of the art and not just limited to Lexus/Toyota].

The cost issue with the dealer is high labor rates and expensive parts. I have been doing DIY and buying AISIN parts. They don't have Lexus/Toyota boxes but come from the same factory [did chose more reliable sellers].
One thing overlooked is the price of the coolant. They add close to $100 to the repair and the shop also charges for disposal fee.

Radiator change is not a complex procedure and can be done with couple of tools. At the end one pays for the convenience. Lexus service model is providing customer 'good experience' and convince for elevated cost in providing the service.

Salim