RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Lexus Stolen Off Driveway at 4AM

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-23, 06:06 PM
WolfyLS460
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Lexus Stolen Off Driveway at 4AM

Check out these brazen masked thieves at work:

Anyone know their MO and whether 3rd Gen is also a theft risk? Seems they mainly target the newer cars.

Last edited by WolfyLS460; 10-07-23 at 08:22 PM.
Old 10-07-23, 08:09 PM
Yahmei
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfyLS460
Check out these brazen masked thieves at work:
https://youtu.be/c0P4tVT7PRg?si=_Zy-SGiZEK_EZIsG

Anyone know their MO and whether 3rd Gen is also a theft risk? Seems they mainly targe the newer cars.
It's just car theft in general. Money is the motive. Hondas, Toyotas, and Lexus are the most stolen brands up in Canada; 3rd gens aren't targeted as much as the 4th gen though. Buyers overseas want reliable cars as much as we do, which creates a market for these stolen cars.

From my understanding, thieves use a repeater to extend the signal from the car to the keyfob in your house, clone a key, and steal the car. I think the best way to deter this is to get an RFID/faraday pouch or case for your car keys so it can block the signal. There's a video about a mechanic up in Canada showing the news crew how easy it is to clone a key and steal a car in 60 seconds.

Edit: I can't find the full news segment, but here's a minute-long YouTube short they pulled from that video.

This next link is the repeater I was talking about that extends the key fob signal. Any push-button start vehicle can be a target to this kind of theft.

Last edited by Yahmei; 10-07-23 at 08:17 PM.
Old 10-07-23, 08:29 PM
WolfyLS460
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Yahmei
thieves use a repeater to extend the signal from the car to the keyfob in your house, clone a key, and steal the car.
Except in this case they were tinkering with something inside the left front bumper, not using a keyfob extender.

Old 10-08-23, 08:45 AM
salimshah

Received 1,098 Likes on 988 Posts
Default Keep Calm and take protective measures.

It started in Japan and then came to Canada and now maybe in USA. Knowhow and lower cost of equipment is making it possible. Keep in mind that If thieves want to steal they will*. The difference is flat-bed or drive off.

Essentially thieves need access to the vehicle and some way to circumvent the immobilizer if they intend to drive it off.

Grabbing the emanating signals from the KeyFob and retransmitting them gives them the entry/access. Once inside they can use the OBDII connector to grant them access to immobilizer. Alternative to the OBDII port is access to the CAN-BUS; behind the wheel in the shared video.

Owners should garage their vehicles or park in surroundings where other vehicles may seem more tempting to steal. Turn-off/block key-fob signal so that it can not be replicated.

Salim
* If you search the net you will find folks have stolen jet planes.

Also see: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-security.html
Old 10-08-23, 10:30 AM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I agree. Just don't be the low hanging fruit. "I don't have to outrun the bear, I just have to outrun you."
I got a Faraday box for Christmas and it's amazing. Honestly one of the best gifts I've ever received and I don't think it was expensive, at all.
Old 10-08-23, 11:23 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Thanks for the Faraday box tip. I was not aware of them and just ordered one.
Old 10-08-23, 05:09 PM
Yahmei
Driver

Originally Posted by WolfyLS460
Except in this case they were tinkering with something inside the left front bumper, not using a keyfob extender.
Seems like a commonly used tactic; it's done again in this video

According to the comments, it's called headlight hacking. They're able to hack into the CANBUS from a faulty headlight wire to unlock the vehicle, which is why the headlight on the RX in the video you posted and in this one is disabled.

Originally Posted by ColAngus
I agree. Just don't be the low hanging fruit. "I don't have to outrun the bear, I just have to outrun you."
I got a Faraday box for Christmas and it's amazing. Honestly one of the best gifts I've ever received and I don't think it was expensive, at all.
Faraday boxes are a great gift for sure. I picked one up for my parents so they'd stop misplacing their keys; now they just throw their keys and wallet in it the moment they come home. It's like a pocket dump tray with extra security.
Old 10-09-23, 12:56 AM
Yahmei
Driver

You can turn off the keyfob's ability to transmit by pressing and holding the lock button, and then hitting the unlock button twice. This pretty much disables the keyfob, not allowing you to open your doors via keyless access. To get in your car, you'd have to physically press the unlock button on the keyfob. This is not a permanent fix since this resets after you press the unlock button to get back into your car; you'd have to do that lock unlock twice combination every time lock up.
Old 10-18-23, 06:14 AM
John7
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is nothing to do with a Relay attack. This is a CAN Bus attack which doesn't need the keys or a signal from the key - keeping the key in a Farday pouch will not stop this type of theft.

They access the CAN bus wiring to the headlight from exposed wires in the wheel arch, connect a black-market gizmo to the wires and that disables the security sustem, opens the doors and enabled the keyless ignition.

Lexus are welding steel plates over the exposed wiring in the front wheel arches to try and stop it. This method is endemic in the UK at the moment.....
Old 10-18-23, 08:51 AM
salimshah

Received 1,098 Likes on 988 Posts

Originally Posted by John7
This is nothing to do with a Relay attack. This is a CAN Bus attack which doesn't need the keys or a signal from the key - keeping the key in a Farday pouch will not stop this type of theft.

They access the CAN bus wiring to the headlight from exposed wires in the wheel arch, connect a black-market gizmo to the wires and that disables the security sustem, opens the doors and enabled the keyless ignition.

Lexus are welding steel plates over the exposed wiring in the front wheel arches to try and stop it. This method is endemic in the UK at the moment.....
Technically the assessment is correct... it is a can bus attack.
The problem is that can bus runs practically all over the vehicle. Around the front bumper is just one convenient/know spot. OBDII connector is another one. Once some one is inside the vehicle without arousing any suspicion they can do the same.
IMHO steel plates around the front is just a patch over a known weak spot. Luxus needs software patch to make the can bus to be more secure.

Salim
Old 10-25-23, 04:55 AM
cnj4333
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When they stole my is300 from my driveway the connected to the OBD port.
One guy in the car why someone in another vehicle parked next to it on a computer. Hacking away till it started.

Anyone know if the chadwick M506 could be installed 2023 Lexus? I did not see an oil/fuel pump fuse anywhere.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/SUKIY-Car...ock/5139771712 I have one on my Motorcycle and it works great.