RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Torque converter/transmission please help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-23, 09:02 AM
msstatefan
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque converter/transmission please help!

I’ve recently purchased a 2010 Lexus RX 350 with around 180,000 miles on it. Very clean car very well taken care of driving it a few weeks. I noticed a torque converter shutter around 45 mph. I then drain and filled Transmission fluid Twice using a scanner for appropriate temperature each time. After the first drain and field I even attempted to put some shutter fix in the transmission though I’m not confident much of the tube got in because of the angle and how I went about putting it in. the shutter has gotten progressively worse now doing it at around 60 mph as well, and occasionally having a very vigorous shutter considerably worse than before. Upon taking it to mechanic they at first thought it was a CV axle, but have deemed that it very well could be the torque converter. They are suggesting, an entire transmission replace/rebuild as they are fearful that just the replacement of the torque converter would possibly fix the problem but only for a short period of time as their fear is that metal shavings in the transmission will cause the new/rebuilt torque converter to also fail prematurely. my question is has anyone else had any similar issues where they had to replace their torque converter or did they end up replacing the entire transmission as well? I have only owned the car for a handful of months so putting another 2k-5k is very disheartening. Just curious if anyone else has any suggestions.

Important note: Amsoil Signature Series Fuel-Efficient Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid was used in the transmission, drain and fill.
Old 10-16-23, 11:04 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,160 Likes on 990 Posts

I suspect the new shudder is probably from using the Amsoil ATF, if not your trans is shot. I would drain and fill it again a couple of times using either, Toyota WS or and my preference Idemitsu TLS LV ATF which is specifically designed as a full synthetic replacement for Toyota WS
https://www.idemitsulubricants.com/p...tf-type-tls-lv

You can get it at Amazon or elsewhere and in 5 quart jugs. I am running it in all my Lexus and Toyota vehicles.

Most of the time with these aging transmissions the solenoids are the problem, so if they said you may need a torque converter, you should just get a used transmission from a lower mileage vehicle. Then change the fluid on it during installation.

If the change to Idemitsu or Toyota WS does not help, then I would consider trading or selling the car before trying to replace the transmission and only if there were good used ones around. I would never let some shop try to rebuild or repair it. With that many miles it could be a money pit. If you must get a rebuilt one get it from Jasper or Power train Products. But evaluate the rest of the car before taking that step.
See this

​​​​​​https://gearsmagazine.com/magazine/t...transmissions/

and this

​​​​​​https://www.transmissiondigest.com/may-2018-issue/

Last edited by Clutchless; 10-16-23 at 11:07 AM.
Old 10-16-23, 11:25 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

Originally Posted by Clutchless
I suspect the new shudder is probably from using the Amsoil ATF, if not your trans is shot.
From the description it sounds like ATF was changed to get rid of shudder, replacing fluid didn't introduce it. But you could be right the Amsoil does not work properly in this application.
Old 10-16-23, 01:48 PM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 410 Likes on 327 Posts

And how much of the old ATF was actually drained out? Regular cold drain-and-fills must be done at least three successive times in order to replace approximately 85% of the old ATF.

As others have warned, these Aisin transmissions do not like "universal" ATFs. You do more harm than good when you use them.
Old 10-16-23, 06:38 PM
msstatefan
5th Gear

Yes, you’re correct it was a shutter prior to the use of the Amsoil. I’ve read of multiple people who’ve used the Amsoil in the exact same scenarios and had success which is why I used it for the drained and fill.. So what is being suggested is that do a few more drain fills but use the Toyota WS? And see if this corrects the problem? The mechanics, both the transmission guy and the local mechanic, neither seem super confident understanding with why it’s making this shutter.

Last edited by msstatefan; 10-16-23 at 07:42 PM.
Old 10-16-23, 06:47 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

I would try the OE fluid, worth spending $100 to see if it will improve things. I have doubts it will make any difference, if it still fails then add an extra liter of fluid see what happens. Nothing to lose.
Old 10-16-23, 07:43 PM
msstatefan
5th Gear

Originally Posted by RX in NC
And how much of the old ATF was actually drained out? Regular cold drain-and-fills must be done at least three successive times in order to replace approximately 85% of the old ATF.

As others have warned, these Aisin transmissions do not like "universal" ATFs. You do more harm than good when you use them.
I would say each time there was approximately 2 quarts drained and refilled.
Old 10-16-23, 08:54 PM
salimshah

Received 1,046 Likes on 944 Posts

my 2c

Please take/seek advice from a transmission expert and not rely on anecdotal remedies on the net. You most likely have spent $$$ hoping to get good results. Shuddering is mechanical vibrations you are feeling. TC have a stall speed at which it becomes locked. There could be a problem with that. Since you are not experiencing vibrations during slip state, the TC by itself seems OK. I would have suspected issues with the drive train mechanical linkage.

You can gather more data by driving with shifter in different gear selector position.

What brought the onset of the problem? Was any drive train work performed on the vehicle?

Salim
Old 10-17-23, 04:17 AM
Clutchless

Since others have claimed the Amsoil ATF was satisfactory, I would try adding 8 ounces of fluid to see if it acts any differently. These transmissions are very sensitive to oil level.
Old 10-17-23, 06:26 AM
afpj
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

I've heard of people using amsoil or Valvoline maxlife atf, however when trying diagnostics for a problem, I'd personally stick with WS tranny fluid. Curious what method you used to check the level, techstream or obd jumper method?
Old 10-17-23, 07:36 PM
Uno99
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually came to this forum today for help with a similar problem
my 2013 has 300,000km I've driven it since new. I've never replaced any tranny fluids.
Around 30,000km ago I started noticing what I think is torque shudder. It was a shuddering feeling while going around corners and I think while shifting.

Now the shudder seems to have gone away but I'm getting what feels like a delayed shift going from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd. Hard to tell since if I try to shift manually in S mode the delay seems to go away.
Does it sound like I might need to start calling scrap yards for a new tranny?

Thanks in advance!

Old 10-18-23, 06:26 AM
Clutchless

Uno99 - I would just drive it until it gets worse and starts slipping or stops shifting or the shudder gets much worse before thinking about replacing the transmission. Although with that many miles on the vehicle, I think it would be a better investment to sell the whole car to a junkyard and purchase something else that was newer with lower miles. You may replace the transmission only to find the engine blows a head gasket the next week. Or you need new axles, or major suspension repair, or the audio dies, or the hvac system dies, either the compressor or the dash controls.
Old 10-18-23, 06:30 AM
Uno99
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Uno99 - I would just drive it until it gets worse and starts slipping or stops shifting or the shudder gets much worse before thinking about replacing the transmission. Although with that many miles on the vehicle, I think it would be a better investment to sell the whole car to a junkyard and purchase something else that was newer with lower miles. You may replace the transmission only to find the engine blows a head gasket the next week. Or you need new axles, or major suspension repair, or the audio dies, or the hvac system dies, either the compressor or the dash controls.
Yeah I'm inclined already to try this. Hoping I can get it to last another 40,000km if I drive carefully. Really want to wait until my wife's vehicle is paid off before I get something new. Plus I really like the new 2023 model and hoping I can get into a 2 year old one!

Just noticed today the shudder is when turning. Wonder if it's a suspension issue
Old 10-18-23, 06:49 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 410 Likes on 327 Posts

Could be a worn-out front CV axle.
The following users liked this post:
salimshah (10-18-23)
Old 10-19-23, 04:31 PM
msstatefan
5th Gear

Originally Posted by afpj
I've heard of people using amsoil or Valvoline maxlife atf, however when trying diagnostics for a problem, I'd personally stick with WS tranny fluid. Curious what method you used to check the level, techstream or obd jumper method?
I use the scanner method. I got the transmission temperature to 110° then pulled the plug until the proper amount was out.

Quick Reply: Torque converter/transmission please help!