RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2010 RX350 top of hatch leaks during pressure rinse

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-23, 05:04 AM
Fhussar
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 RX350 top of hatch leaks during pressure rinse

Hello,

The RX is really a great car, but I'm wondering if anyone else has ever seen this issue; When driving through a car wash ( I've gone to 2 different locations) , near the end of the wash, before the blow dry, there's usually a higher pressure water rinse, and as it passes over the top of the rear hatch, water pours in for a moment, then subsides...this soaks the cargo mat (which fortunately has the rubber backing so the water does not reach the cargo area carpet), and will also drench anything else that happens to be directly underneath the leak. Is it poor or worn weather stripping? This SUCKS as the other day I had something of great value in a cardboard box sitting in the cargo area as I went through the wash...I was lucky this time as I was able to grab a towel relatively quickly and wipe the pool of water away from the box surface, but I'd love to be able to drive through a car wash and NOT deal with water INSIDE the car! The weather stripping APPEARS to be in good condition...the car has 178k on it, but has been garage kept the majority of it's life, as it has great paint for it's age, and the things runs like a watch...
Any help will be appreciated, and thanks in advance...
Old 11-01-23, 07:31 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 410 Likes on 327 Posts

Have you cleaned the top area of the tailgate opening lately, especially with the tailgate fully open? Leaves, pinestraw, and various debris tends to collect up there as time goes by. If that debris falls down into the weatherstripping area (which it can easily do whenever you open the tailgate), that debris can compromise the sealing properties of the weatherstripping. Whenever I wash my wife's 2015 RX350, after drying off the roof I open the tailgate and use a damp towel to wipe down that entire area (along with the inner sides of the tailgate frame) so the tailgate weatherstripping will be much less likely to get compromised by debris. At 6-foot-7, it is easy for me to see the top area while standing there. Shorter folks may not be able to see it and will probably be surprised at just how dirty that area can get.
The following 2 users liked this post by RX in NC:
Fhussar (11-01-23), salimshah (11-01-23)
Old 11-01-23, 09:37 AM
salimshah

Received 1,046 Likes on 944 Posts

There is a rubber seal that runs around the hatch door and the body. This seal can get dislodges/deformed or even temporarily compromised by foreign object. Along with the sealing action, there is a drain mechanism to run the water off. In a worst case scenario a dam can develop and which pools water in the channel.

As suggested by "RX in NC", start by wiping it down and cleaning the channel. Also confirm that the seal is properly attached/cliped-on.

Very unlikely but still a possibility that the alignment of the hatch is off. Check for uneven gaps when the hatch is closed.

Another fact is that the seal is not a seal as in aircraft doors as the cabin is not pressurized. Jetting of air/water is not expected to be directed to the operable opening.

I do not take my vehicles car wash. A gentle cleaning [twice a month] is what I do. Once washed by hand and dried, I open each opening and wipe down the seals and clean out the diverting channels. I also wet wipe the seats to keep the leather moisturized. Hand washing the car is also a relaxing therapy for me ... unless I find a new ding ... but that is another topic.

Salim

The following users liked this post:
Fhussar (11-01-23)
Old 11-01-23, 10:00 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 410 Likes on 327 Posts

It is always a good idea to stay away from all automatic car wash places. Much safer for your vehicle and much more thorough to hand-wash and then hand-dry.
The following users liked this post:
Fhussar (11-01-23)
Old 11-01-23, 11:06 AM
Fhussar
10th Gear

Thanks NC...but I do the same thing after a wash - towel the entire area with the hatch open...I do it mostly to prevent rust, and it always looks like it's new...so debris is not the cause. I'm thinking maybe the weather stripping just isn't what it used to be/supposed to be...a new length of that weather stripping is over $250!...I might add a random piece myself to see if it stops that leak...I don't see/notice it in the rain, only when the water is under pressure and directed at that area between the spoiler and the roofline...thanks again.
Old 11-01-23, 11:08 AM
Fhussar
10th Gear

thanks salim, but the channel is clean, and I always keep it tat way. I'm thinking it's a failure of the stripping now...thanks again. I've not hand=washed it yet, but that's a possibility too...just too convenient to just run it through...
Old 11-01-23, 11:37 AM
salimshah

Received 1,046 Likes on 944 Posts

Here is a trick to find gaps in the seal and it will take some perseverance ... take a sheet of paper and cut it to width that you want check for ... 1/2" wide 1" wide 5" wide or 7.5" wide .

Stick the sheet in the suspect area and close the hatch. Now pull on the exposed length. You should fee a drag. If it slides free, then that is the area of the leak.

Personally I would not add goop on top of the seal to fatten it up ... but that is all your call. You have to keep a smooth edge as any ridge that you form will create a channel.

Salim
PS: Do you hear wind noise when you drive at say 65mph. SUV cabins are notorious for standing acoustical waves, based on the physical dimensions. If you go dig through the first Gen RX, the first reported problem was buffeting [extreme case] when only one back window was lowered.
Old 11-02-23, 02:21 AM
Fhussar
10th Gear

I'll have to give your sheet of paper trick a try...no intention of adding 'goop' anywhere...I was thinking an adhesive strip of weather stripping above the existing OEM strip, and perhaps the width of the car, and see if that does the job...something that can be removed if necessary...the area above the hatch opening is as clean as the day it left the factory, there's no debris or anything there that might cause the stripping to fail or become deformed, which is why this is such a mystery to me.

As far as wind noise, I cannot say I hear it from the hatch at all, but from the doors I definitely can...road noise as well...I can honestly say that I was surprised the first time I drove the RX at speed on the highway at how loud the road noise was. The doors close beautifully with that nice muted thud, and with the windows up, sitting inside is very quiet...but driving 60 mph or better it does require the radio volume to be enhanced to challenge that road noise...a bit disappointing, but overall I'm very happy with the comfort, power, economy, and reliability, so I guess it's a small price to pay - for me, anyway...thanks again.