RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Sunroof won't operate well

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-23, 06:44 PM
coastn
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sunroof won't operate well

Hello all, thanks in advance for any and all help. I just purchased a '15 RX350 base model, 130K miles. The PO said he bought it from the estate of an old woman who passed so he could not provide any history. The sunroof is not working properly, either from too much use or (my suspicion) lack of use. The first time I tried it I pushed the up button and it grudgingly opened, however, it would not close until I tapped on it. It now will lift up in the rear and go back down but the motor is laboring. The glass will not retract when the open button is pushed but the motor grunts for a second. I want to remove the overhead console to investigate the gearing and cables. I found a youtube video on removing it by pulling down on the rear edge, however, that was on an earlier generation. I tried to gingerly pull mine down and nothing. I don't want to damage anything so I thought I would ask the experts how to access the motor. Also any input on the entire situation (tips on lubricating the mechanism etc) is appreciated.
Old 11-10-23, 07:53 PM
coastn
10th Gear

After I joined and wrote my question the related thread popped up. I will buy a removal tool and advise on my progress. If it needs lubrication only what do you recommend? Thanks.
Old 11-11-23, 05:08 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 422 Likes on 338 Posts

Lithium white grease is a relatively universal lubricant for applications such as yours. A little typically goes a long way.
Old 11-11-23, 05:11 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Lithium white grease is a relatively universal lubricant for applications such as yours. A little typically goes a long way.

I would also use electrical contact cleaner spray for cleaning up the rails and contacts. My guess is that you will see some rust issues that may be the cause of any binding that you are experiencing.
Old 11-11-23, 06:02 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,175 Likes on 1,003 Posts

It is from lack of use. There are probably some YouTube videos that will help. Note that this same design sunroof is on most Toyota and Lexus cars. I suspect Honda, Nissan, Subaru, Mazda may buy the same sunroofs too.

The white lithium grease is available in spray cans with a tube you can attach to reach into the sunroof channel cracks etc. I would get a can and try spraying everything you can reach, If that helps it move more, when it is open spray it some more. Be sure to clean out the tracks of any debris and lubricate the weatherstrip with silicone spray or armor all or 303 protectant.

Once it is open, as preventive maintenance, push some weed wacker line down the sunroof drain holes at the 2 front corners of the sunroof to make sure the tubes are clear.

Last edited by Clutchless; 11-11-23 at 06:10 AM.
Old 11-11-23, 08:05 AM
salimshah

Received 1,075 Likes on 968 Posts
Default Just a thought.

From experience with First gen RX, there could be an issue with the pinch protection. Mostlikely during the lifetime battery was replaced and no one verified/updated the pinch protection limits.

Salim
Old 11-16-23, 01:10 PM
coastn
10th Gear

Thanks for everyone's input. I cleaned out the rails as best as I could after removing the accordian-like covers and sprayed with WD40 initially. No difference. I decided to remove the overhead console to have a look at the motor and drive assembly. A youtube video showed how to do it, easy with the trim tool, right? So I bought the trim tool, removed the two screws under the front panel and began to pry. Nothing, so more pressure and I succeeded in cracking the outer plastic on the console but the unit would not budge! I stopped before I broke the trim piece totally off. What am I doing wrong?

Cracked console
Old 11-17-23, 08:02 AM
Clutchless

It may be time for a shop to look at it for a proper diagnosis and to reduce further damage to your headliner. A car interior upholstery shop may be able to help as they take these apart regularly replacing headliners.
The motor etc is not near the overhead console, it is to the rear and above the rear seats etc.
Also WD40 is a terrible lubricant. It was designed to displace water for electrical connections. W (water) D (dispacement) 40 (40th formula they tried).
Old 11-20-23, 06:02 PM
coastn
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Also WD40 is a terrible lubricant. It was designed to displace water for electrical connections. W (water) D (dispacement) 40 (40th formula they tried).
Thanks, I'm aware of WD40's limitations. I didn't explain in the last thread (tried not to be long winded) that when I removed the accordion like covers the visible tracks had a good deal of sand encrusted in the lubricant. I used the WD40 "initally" to try and wash the sand away. I planned on using white lithium grease after that. I haven't had time to investigate any further.
Old 11-21-23, 04:48 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Garage door lubricant spray would also work well in this application. And it does not leave nearly as much residue behind (which can trap dirt and sand) as white lithium grease does. Available at Lowe's or Home Depot and maybe even Walmart.
Old 11-23-23, 03:46 PM
coastn
10th Gear

The car threw a P0420 code, catalyst system below threshold, bank 1. I took it to a recommended shop and the tech used his high tech scanning tool to confirm the autozone diagnosis. His tool showed multiple history codes, many of which were related to electrical components. He said codes like these are common if the battery goes dead or is disconnected. I told him about my sunroof issue and his tool showed two current fault codes for the sliding roof, ""B2343: Position initialization incomplete" and "B2341: Sensor" (Motor) Failure". He tried to "initialize" (sync) the sliding roof to the car many times using different tactics to no avail. Using his tool, he was able to raise and lower the rear of the roof. When he tried to open it, the back dropped down like it is supposed to but stopped, just like it now operates with the console buttons. He was puzzled because he thought his tool should be able to initialize the roof. He said a dealership might have more success. My concern is with the B2341 motor failure code. I don't want to pay a dealership to initialize the roof only to be told the motor is shot. Can anyone advise if the 2341 failure code always populates along with the 2343 code or are these two codes independent of each other meaning the roof needs to be initialized AND the motor is shot? I am hopeful the motor is OK because it does move the roof panel somewhat, however, my thinking is that is his tool will operate the roof it should be able to initialize it as well. Any thoughts or experiences are appreciated!
Old 12-09-23, 03:38 PM
coastn
10th Gear

Follow up...I took it to my nearest Toyota dealer. The mechanic said he believes the motor needs replaced. I haven't been able to find a used one yet. Over $600 for a new one, I'll do without till I find a used one reasonably priced. The liftgate was acting up as well, the mechanic said it too is the motor. Now I need to start a new thread...
Old 12-10-23, 04:51 AM
Clutchless

Coastn - do some searching with the term lift gate or maybe tailgate or hatch as there are many threads about replacing the motor and struts etc.
Also have you replaced the struts on the rear tailgate?
For instance
​​​​​​https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...own-motor.html

​​​​​​https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...long-beep.html

There are often used parts on eBay or some of the online used parts dealers such as Rancho Used Lexus Parts
Old 12-10-23, 09:11 AM
RX in NC
Racer

You need to be able to open and close your sunroof because you will need to clear your sunroof drain lines at some point (and then keep them cleared on a periodic basis). The only way to effectively clear the drain lines is with the sunroof in the open position.