RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

TPMS light flashes at start and stays lit..??

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-23, 02:35 PM
KenSpringTx
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default TPMS light flashes at start and stays lit..??

Ok, I searched but couldn't find this one... My wife had the TPMS light come solid while driving.. she went to discount tire and all tires were spot on... I used my code reader and did not see any codes.. specifically TPMS, nothing.. cleared "all codes" anyway and it is still lit.. any ideas? ( note, my wife left the lights on during a Halloween trunk or treat and needed a jump... but all systems were working fine). Again, at start up, the light flashes and stays lit .. help..
Old 11-22-23, 02:47 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 190 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by KenSpringTx
Ok, I searched but couldn't find this one... My wife had the TPMS light come solid while driving.. she went to discount tire and all tires were spot on... I used my code reader and did not see any codes.. specifically TPMS, nothing.. cleared "all codes" anyway and it is still lit.. any ideas? ( note, my wife left the lights on during a Halloween trunk or treat and needed a jump... but all systems were working fine). Again, at start up, the light flashes and stays lit .. help..
It's called get new TPMS. The batteries in the sensors wear out and the light stays on.
Old 11-22-23, 03:03 PM
KenSpringTx
Driver School Candidate

Wow... I read about complete replacements but didn't make the connection... Ok, Discount Tire have done " rebuild kits" on my Armada and Honda.. which I think would include battery replacement... Is this a good option or do they need a complete replacements..?? Thanks for the feedback..
Old 11-22-23, 04:15 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Wow... I read about complete replacements but didn't make the connection... Ok, Discount Tire have done " rebuild kits" on my Armada and Honda.. which I think would include battery replacement... Is this a good option or do they need a complete replacements..?? Thanks for the feedback..
I don't think that you can replace the batteries. You just have to replace the sensors. Not expensive.
The following users liked this post:
KenSpringTx (11-22-23)
Old 11-22-23, 04:24 PM
KenSpringTx
Driver School Candidate

Ok thanks!! Glad it's nothing major... Have a blessed Thanksgiving!! You and all the crew!
Old 11-23-23, 05:02 AM
WHLex4
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Seems the greatest expense is the labor -- I have the same issue and will change them out with my next set of tires. (2010 RX350)
Old 11-23-23, 12:59 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,175 Likes on 1,003 Posts

The rebuild kits just replace the gaskets and push pin part and are easy to do when replacing tires which is why they offer it. You need new TPMS. They can die fast or slow, or act up off and on for years which is what my 2016 Sienna does. It acts up in the winter, then never once it warms up. I anticipate seeing the light once it gets cold enough this winter. I don't plan to do anything until it stays on all the time.
Old 11-30-23, 09:34 AM
KenSpringTx
Driver School Candidate

And this is why I come to the CLUB LEXUS GURUs!! I went by my Discount Tire today, and yes, 2 of the four sensors were out... I had all four replaced for $140.00, including the needed onboard computer syncing. And the TPMS light is no more. (I hate yellow lights on my dash... drives me crazy)... anyway, many thanks to you and the team for your guidance and recommendation!
Old 11-30-23, 11:21 AM
salimshah

Received 1,075 Likes on 968 Posts

Make sure you ask the next time repair or replacement is needed, replace the aging sensors ... or just wait till one or both of the old ones expire.

Salim
Old 11-30-23, 11:39 AM
KenSpringTx
Driver School Candidate

All four were replaced... said the OEM could not be "repaired".. the battery and assembly are sealed. thanks!
Old 11-30-23, 08:36 PM
salimshah

Received 1,075 Likes on 968 Posts

All four were replaced... said the OEM could not be "repaired".. the battery and assembly are sealed. thanks!
My bod, as I thought you replaced the failed 2. You got a deal my friend. I did mine at Costco, but the amount you paid, barely covers the cost of four sensors.

Salim
Old 12-02-23, 07:40 PM
User21654321
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And this is why I come to the CLUB LEXUS GURUs!! I went by my Discount Tire today, and yes, 2 of the four sensors were out... I had all four replaced for $140.00, including the needed onboard computer syncing. And the TPMS light is no more. (I hate yellow lights on my dash... drives me crazy)... anyway, many thanks to you and the team for your guidance and recommendation!
When this was occurring, what was the readout on the dash for the pressures? Was it reading the two that were still working, or were they all dashes?
Old 12-04-23, 04:24 AM
jotlaptop
8th Gear

May I express a similar case: last month I added some air to my rear tires, then the TPMS light started blinking on startup, then solid. The readout on the dash completely dashed out, complained with error message; now the readout is blank, and the TPMS light stays solid. My mechanic said would be best to change out all of the sensors, but not necessary if I don't mind the light and I keep an eye on the tire inflation (as I have done manually with all previous vehicles!). Agreed?
Old 12-04-23, 08:25 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Guys, this is all normal for cars that are aging. The stated life span of a battery in one of the TPMS is 7-10 years. So, everyone here is reaching that point. Some get longer life some don't. You can get them changed individually, but once one goes the others are not far behind. You will need Techstream or a similar program to determine the one that is bad. It is not expensive if you do it at a tire change. The individual above said he got all of them changed for $140.00. This will solve almost all the problems with the light being on in the dash. I guess I'm surprised we are having this discussion as it should be common knowledge that the batteries in these things are not meant to last much longer than 10 years. Even a 2015 is getting to the point of failure.
Old 12-04-23, 10:45 AM
User21654321
6th Gear

Originally Posted by iolmaster
Guys, this is all normal for cars that are aging. The stated life span of a battery in one of the TPMS is 7-10 years. So, everyone here is reaching that point. Some get longer life some don't. You can get them changed individually, but once one goes the others are not far behind. You will need Techstream or a similar program to determine the one that is bad. It is not expensive if you do it at a tire change. The individual above said he got all of them changed for $140.00. This will solve almost all the problems with the light being on in the dash. I guess I'm surprised we are having this discussion as it should be common knowledge that the batteries in these things are not meant to last much longer than 10 years. Even a 2015 is getting to the point of failure.
I started a thread to try and determine what others did for this issue. For me it's more than just the light being on but also dashes on the TPMS readout on the dash. My research has not indicated any one cause. I would like more info before a decision is made. Replacing all four sensors is $260 locally and I don't want to throw money not knowing if it's the case of the problem.

I was asking OP to verify if replacing the TPMSs fixed his dashes issues as well.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...l#post11623367

Quick Reply: TPMS light flashes at start and stays lit..??