RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

I'm thinking about this 2015 RX 350 for $20,000...

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-23, 05:23 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 410 Likes on 327 Posts

I have not purchased a brand-new vehicle since late 1997. Always better to let the first owner take the big depreciation hit. I have found that if I do my homework and thoroughly research the service history of the vehicle I am interested in before pulling the trigger (along with inspecting it carefully myself), I will be just fine. We are the second owners of all four of our current vehicles. We have had them for nearly 23 years (my Ram), nearly 12 years (my wife's XK8), over 8 years (my Outback 3.6R), and over 5 years (my wife's RX350). I DIY my own maintenance and repairs and keep all of our vehicles in top shape. Just do your homework thoroughly before deciding whether or not to purchase and your chances of avoiding a lemon are very good.
The following 2 users liked this post by RX in NC:
MisterNoName (12-09-23), RX10 (12-09-23)
Old 12-10-23, 06:18 PM
carguy75
Intermediate

Received 96 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterNoName
...well $19,770:

https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/2T2BK1BA6FC335854

No pictures since they haven't detailed it yet. But the dealership is not too far from me so I went there to take a look.
  1. 73,000 miles. Silver exterior, light gray interior. I prefer tan but the light gray would do.
  2. I got the full Carfax. It had service done at all major mileage points. 20,000; 35,000; 40,000; 50,000; 55,000; 60,000 and 70,000.
  3. Two owners. Both bought and sold at this dealership. The first one was for only for 9 months and it was a rental. The second one was an older couple according to the salesman.
  4. Carfax says minor damage...twice. Doesn't say what type specifically. Salesman says normally a dent or a scratch and not a collision. Collision damage is either modern or major he said. Twice: February 2019 and October 2023.
  5. Can't take vehicle for prepurchase inspection. They said they have had issues with people taking parts. But I can bring a technician or mechanic to one of their facilities and do one they can do one there.
  6. Comes with a 6 month or 6,000 mile powertrain warranty.
This would be my primary vehicle. I really don't drive much except going to work and driving around town. Every now and then I'll drive four or five hours to visit my family in another state.

Thoughts?

Edit...thread title should start with: I'm.
I would pass on it if the RX is not being sold by a Lexus dealership. The dealer(seller) lost me at not being to have the vehicle properly inspected by another repair shop on a lift. However, if the dealer allows the RX350 to be placed on lift for inspection then I would consider the sale. I say this because a few issues with the RX350 like a leaking(weeping) front timing cover or weeping oil pan requires lifting the vehicle off the ground for a proper inspection.

The 6 month power-train warranty could be trash as well if the dealer in house facility is the only service available to cover warranty claims; especially if the dealer is not a Lexus dealer. If it is a Lexus dealer then you should be fine.

Last edited by carguy75; 12-10-23 at 06:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MisterNoName (12-10-23)
Old 12-10-23, 06:35 PM
carguy75
Intermediate

Update: Salesman called and said it will be ready for a look over and test drive Monday afternoon.

If everything looks and sounds good to me I'll schedule a mobile pre-purchase inspection. There's some local guys called "Auto Analyst" that I'll probably use.

Maybe I shouldn't be but ​I'm nervous about buying a used car. I'm 46 but I've never actually bought a used car before. My first few cars were given to me after my father or older brothers got done with them. My current vehicle, 2007 Nissan Murano, I bought brand new.
It may be a Lexus, but Lexus can have issues as well that can be expensive to repair on a used RX350. Always be cautious with any used car purchase; including a Lexus. A lot of times when dealers "prepare" a car they may cover up(wipe clean) some things like old oil residue from a slow weeping leak they do not properly seal up before a sale. A weeping front timing cover leak is a $5000-7000 repair at a Lexus dealership.

It is wise to have the used RX inspected by a mechanic before purchase. My advice is to focus on the front timing cover and water pump.
MisterNoName (12-10-23)
Old 12-10-23, 07:16 PM
MisterNoName
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by carguy75
I would pass on it if the RX is not being sold by a Lexus dealership. The dealer(seller) lost me at not being to have the vehicle properly inspected by another repair shop on a lift. However, if the dealer allows the RX350 to be placed on lift for inspection then I would consider the sale. I say this because a few issues with the RX350 like a leaking(weeping) front timing cover or weeping oil pan requires lifting the vehicle off the ground for a proper inspection.

The 6 month power-train warranty could be trash as well if the dealer in house facility is the only service available to cover warranty claims; especially if the dealer is not a Lexus dealer. If it is a Lexus dealer then you should be fine.
Thanks. It is a Lexus dealership. Lindsay Lexus of Alexandria to be exact.
carguy75 (12-11-23)
Old 12-11-23, 06:05 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,160 Likes on 990 Posts

Pre-arrange with a local shop for an inspection, then tell Lindsay you need to test drive it by yourself to listen for noises etc and take it to the shop for a quick inspection on a lift. Lindsay let me drive a couple of RXs alone when I was looking for mine which I got used years ago. However it sounds like their policies may have changed.
MisterNoName (12-11-23)
Old 12-11-23, 06:37 AM
carguy75
Intermediate

Thanks. It is a Lexus dealership. Lindsay Lexus of Alexandria to be exact.
Well, with that being said the RX "should" be a solid deal and "hopefully" properly sorted out.

I would still keep an eye out for the front timing cover and water pump for leaks or signs of seepage. The Lexus dealer may have " overlooked" seepage in those two common problems for the RX if the leak is not bad enough to repair. Those type of leaks are generally small and go unnoticed until it is pass most warranty periods.
MisterNoName (12-11-23)
Old 12-12-23, 08:30 AM
MisterNoName
Driver School Candidate

Welp...update:

The mobile pre-purchase inspector said it was in a collision. This is what he said:

--------
Exterior Comments: Car was hit on left side. The front fender and rear quarter panel were replaced. The drivers door was reskinned. The rear left
door was repaired/repainted. All else is original. There was FRAME damage to the left rear corner.
--------

He said it was well maintained. Here are his summary reports:

Interior Comments: Average condition overall. Minor flaws only.
Engine & Systems Comments: Needs nothing now. Well maintained. No engine codes. ABS and air bag systems normal operation - no
codes.
Undercarriage Comments: Needs nothing now.
Accessories & Electronics Comments: All working.
Test Drive:
Engine Operation: Smooth idle - All systems normal
Transmission & Clutch: Good shift points in all gears
Handling & Steering: Good - No play or shimmy
Braking: Good - No fade or pull
Four Wheel Drive: Normal operation in high and low gears
Report Summary: Average condition overall. Needs nothing now. Well maintained. Has had a major collision with frame damage.
NADA Retail: $ 22475.00.
Market Area Wholesale: $ 16500.00
Analyst Appraised Value: $ 19500.00
He put the appraisal at $19,500.00. The Lexus price is $19,770.00.

He said it's a great vehicle and very well maintained. But that frame damage takes it down a notch. And it looks to be a good repair job. That said, if it was him that he would pass on it. But he mentioned he's not telling me to do that but if it was him.

I still want to buy it but now I don't know. I've been looking for awhile and growing tired. I just need a good reliable to get me around without having to replace it in 5 years. I wish that damage wasn't there to make the decision easier. Are there any more questions I should be asking?

Last edited by MisterNoName; 12-12-23 at 08:53 AM.
Old 12-12-23, 08:43 AM
LexusNoobBoob
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bro, I just found your link and it was a life saver....found records on this lexus
MisterNoName (12-12-23)
Old 12-12-23, 08:45 AM
MisterNoName
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexusNoobBoob
bro, I just found your link and it was a life saver....found records on this lexus
What do you mean?
Old 12-12-23, 08:50 AM
LexusNoobBoob
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry, shoulda explained... I just got a lexus with 207k miles....had no clue or records that had been done.....was under the understanding that no tranny service had been done but because you provided this link that I didn't know existed....I was able to find out that the car was serviced at 77k for tranny fluid.....it states this in the record.....its a 2010 lexus rx450h with 207k milesSERVICE: TRANSMISSION FLUSH
DESCRIPTION: ~|~CUSTOMER REQUESTS TRANSMISSION FLUSH ~|~FLUSH TRANS AND FRONT DIFFERENTIAL ~|~TECHNICIAN PERFORMED TRANSMISSION FLUSH SERVICE. ADDED VPS CLEANER TO REMOVE DEPOSITS AND DEBRIS FROM TRANSMISSION. FLUSHED OUT ALL OLD FLUID IN SYSTEM AND REPLACED WITH NEW LEXUS APPROVED FLUID AND VPS CONDITIONER. HELPS MAINTAIN PROPER SHIFTING CHARACTE

you really helped me out with your link....thanks a mil
MisterNoName (12-12-23)
Old 12-12-23, 08:54 AM
RX in NC
Racer

You have to know how to play the game with damaged vehicles. Tell the seller your appraiser identified frame damage due to a collision and you are concerned about the long-term risk involved with taking ownership. Offer $15,000 and see what they say. They know the vehicle was damaged. If they refuse your offer, raise it to $16,000 tops. If they still say no, walk away politely but firmly and let them stew over it. If they remain unable to sell it to someone else for the next week or so (and certainly by the end of the year), they may very well call you back and accept your $16,000 offer. Before you commit to signing anything, make certain the vehicle has a clear title, not a salvaged title.

Remove your emotions completely from the equation. This is a business deal, nothing more. Remember that there is always a better vehicle at a more favorable price point somewhere. You just have to put in the work to find it.
The following 2 users liked this post by RX in NC:
Clutchless (12-12-23), MisterNoName (12-12-23)
Old 12-12-23, 09:03 AM
MisterNoName
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RX in NC
You have to know how to play the game with damaged vehicles. Tell the seller your appraiser identified frame damage due to a collision and you are concerned about the long-term risk involved with taking ownership. Offer $15,000 and see what they say. They know the vehicle was damaged. If they refuse your offer, raise it to $16,000 tops. If they still say no, walk away politely but firmly and let them stew over it. If they remain unable to sell it to someone else for the next week or so (and certainly by the end of the year), they may very well call you back and accept your $16,000 offer. Before you commit to signing anything, make certain the vehicle has a clear title, not a salvaged title.

Remove your emotions completely from the equation. This is a business deal, nothing more. Remember that there is always a better vehicle at a more favorable price point somewhere. You just have to put in the work to find it.
You think they'll take the lower value? The appraiser put it at $19,500.

Edit: Called. They wouldn't lower it.

Last edited by MisterNoName; 12-12-23 at 10:00 AM.
Old 12-12-23, 10:37 AM
RX in NC
Racer

As I said, you have to know how to play the game. The strategy I have described has worked for me a couple of times during the past 15 years, especially around the Christmas holidays when most people are spending on presents and not vehicles. When showrooms are empty of customers, buyers have a significant advantage. Did you make an offer? You have to drive your stake in the ground somewhere.
MisterNoName (12-12-23)
Old 12-12-23, 10:39 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,160 Likes on 990 Posts

Then wait. They will get desperate around Christmas to the end of the year when it does not sell.
Meanwhile keep looking elsewhere. The Lexus site has a feature to search for used vehicles at Lexus dealer lots. I also like to search using www.cars.com using the advanced search feature to specify vehicle mileage, price, distance from my zip code etc.
You may want to broaden your search to include the mechanically identical Toyota Highlander. It is almost as nice as the RX, especially those with the Limited trim package.
MisterNoName (12-12-23)
Old 12-12-23, 10:47 AM
MisterNoName
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RX in NC
As I said, you have to know how to play the game. The strategy I have described has worked for me a couple of times during the past 15 years, especially around the Christmas holidays when most people are spending on presents and not vehicles. When showrooms are empty of customers, buyers have a significant advantage. Did you make an offer? You have to drive your stake in the ground somewhere.
They stood firm at the $19,770. I turned it down but said if something changes let me know.

The fact that this dealership is just a few minutes away from me is very convenient. These other ones I've been looking at are all over the country. I wonder if Lexus has some type of partnership between dealerships where they can ship vehicles.

Last edited by MisterNoName; 12-12-23 at 10:54 AM.

Quick Reply: I'm thinking about this 2015 RX 350 for $20,000...