RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

I'm thinking about this 2015 RX 350 for $20,000...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-23, 10:50 AM
MisterNoName
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Then wait. They will get desperate around Christmas to the end of the year when it does not sell.
Meanwhile keep looking elsewhere. The Lexus site has a feature to search for used vehicles at Lexus dealer lots. I also like to search using www.cars.com using the advanced search feature to specify vehicle mileage, price, distance from my zip code etc.
You may want to broaden your search to include the mechanically identical Toyota Highlander. It is almost as nice as the RX, especially those with the Limited trim package.
I've been using carfax.com and some other sites. I'll check out cars.com too.

Thanks for the suggestion about the Toyota Highlander. I've been searching for a used car for about a year now. The Highlander, the Mazda CX-5 in the RX 350 were my final choices. But I'm pretty set on a RX350 now. Particularly either a 2015 or 2018.

He claimed he had other buyers. Perhaps he does but I'll see if they give me a call in a couple weeks.
Old 12-12-23, 10:58 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 410 Likes on 327 Posts

So you did NOT make an offer. You continue to allow them to control you by accepting their statement that they will not lower their asking price. Until you make an actual offer, you are not in the game playing to eventually win. Nothing else I can add will explain the process any further. I'm done -- good luck to you.
Old 12-12-23, 11:06 AM
MisterNoName
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RX in NC
So you did NOT make an offer. You continue to allow them to control you by accepting their statement that they will not lower their asking price. Until you make an actual offer, you are not in the game playing to eventually win. Nothing else I can add will explain the process any further. I'm done -- good luck to you.
I did make an offer. $16k. He declined but said he'll talk to management to see if he can lower it by 1K. I said alright that's not low enough but let me know. He called back and said management declined and stuck at $19,770. I declined that offer and said that if they change your mind call me back.

Last edited by MisterNoName; 12-12-23 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12-12-23, 01:23 PM
RadiantX45
Pit Crew

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

And remember, there will always be a used RX somewhere. So if this one doesn’t work out then there will be another.
The following users liked this post:
MisterNoName (12-12-23)
Old 12-12-23, 03:01 PM
bluebunny
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't think I'd want a car that had been hit that hard. There's things that might have been overlooked during the repair like the sway bar bushings knocked part way out or internal parts of the drive shafts stressed and other things that can be a problem down the road.

I've been dealing with it for 5 years in a RAV4 and the accident doesn't even show on carfax.

Seems like I saw plenty of listings down around your area when I was hunting a couple months ago. Your color and mileage preferences may thin out the crowd but a few more miles will bring the price down a little.
MisterNoName (12-12-23)
Old 12-14-23, 02:03 AM
mtlrx
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Walk away from this car!!
Your inspector found several hints of major damage, maybe repaired well, but the dealer said minor damage. The dealer surely inspected this car very well and is aware of the extent of the damage. I find the seller dishonest. Paint can make a car look beautiful again. What if the alignment is off so slightly, can't be adjusted 100% and you wear out a tire every two years ?
I was in collision repair for a while. Adjusters love to come see a car after an accident, see it was previously repaired in the same area, and refuse full coverage of the present repair, they discount it. Don't get stuck with this pig, they are plenty more.
Keep the name and number of your PPI, he did a good job, you can use him again.
MisterNoName (12-14-23)
Old 12-14-23, 04:19 AM
carguy75
Intermediate

Received 96 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterNoName
Welp...update:

The mobile pre-purchase inspector said it was in a collision. This is what he said:

--------
Exterior Comments: Car was hit on left side. The front fender and rear quarter panel were replaced. The drivers door was reskinned. The rear left
door was repaired/repainted. All else is original. There was FRAME damage to the left rear corner.
--------

He said it was well maintained. Here are his summary reports:

Interior Comments: Average condition overall. Minor flaws only.
Engine & Systems Comments: Needs nothing now. Well maintained. No engine codes. ABS and air bag systems normal operation - no
codes.
Undercarriage Comments: Needs nothing now.
Accessories & Electronics Comments: All working.
Test Drive:
Engine Operation: Smooth idle - All systems normal
Transmission & Clutch: Good shift points in all gears
Handling & Steering: Good - No play or shimmy
Braking: Good - No fade or pull
Four Wheel Drive: Normal operation in high and low gears
Report Summary: Average condition overall. Needs nothing now. Well maintained. Has had a major collision with frame damage.
NADA Retail: $ 22475.00.
Market Area Wholesale: $ 16500.00
Analyst Appraised Value: $ 19500.00
He put the appraisal at $19,500.00. The Lexus price is $19,770.00.

He said it's a great vehicle and very well maintained. But that frame damage takes it down a notch. And it looks to be a good repair job. That said, if it was him that he would pass on it. But he mentioned he's not telling me to do that but if it was him.

I still want to buy it but now I don't know. I've been looking for awhile and growing tired. I just need a good reliable to get me around without having to replace it in 5 years. I wish that damage wasn't there to make the decision easier. Are there any more questions I should be asking?
I have to call BS on the four wheel drive part of the inspection. The RX350 uses an full time AWD system that does not have a high or low gear selector to check.

I am not certain if the inspector did a proper inspection based on the incorrect four wheel drive data. Just saying.
MisterNoName (12-14-23)
Old 12-14-23, 01:19 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,160 Likes on 990 Posts

You can lock the all wheel drive to get out of mud, but it only stays that way until about 25 mph. The button is next to the shifter. He probably just switched it on and drove a bit.
See this video
​​​​​​
Old 12-16-23, 08:40 AM
MisterNoName
Driver School Candidate

Moving in to another one. Pictures are online but I'm going to request a video inside and out since this one is in another state.

They are asking for 20,500.

1) 2015. Only 55,000 miles. Silver exterior, light gray interior.

2) Two owners. Both in Florida. First owner was on a lease for two and a half years.Drove it for 18k miles. Second owner bought from another Lexus dealership in Florida. It has been maintenanced but no mileage service (20k, 30k, etc.). Brake fluid changed at 33k and 46k miles. Belts changed at 42k.

3) According to the Carfax, no accidents or damage. Obviously I'll get a prepurchase inspection to verify.

Don't like that it was on a lease and I wish it was maintenanced at the major mileage points but I suppose I have to compromise somewhere. Still only 55k miles.
carguy75 (12-17-23)
Old 12-16-23, 07:08 PM
carguy75
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Clutchless
You can lock the all wheel drive to get out of mud, but it only stays that way until about 25 mph. The button is next to the shifter. He probably just switched it on and drove a bit.
See this video
​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHgGzBFI7rk
I hear you. But the report is clearly referring to an 4X4 system with a high and low transfer case speed selector. The AWD lock is more or an on and off selector.

However, what you are saying is possible, but I am not buying it. The inspector should have made that clear with notation if that was the method used. I think the inspection was not properly performed.

The two systems are not even close in operation or function.

Last edited by carguy75; 12-16-23 at 07:14 PM.
MisterNoName (12-17-23)
Old 12-17-23, 09:12 AM
chas410
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Second one is a better choice. Believe I'd stay away from one that got hit hard enough for a front fender, rear quarter and a door reskinned.
MisterNoName (12-17-23)
Old 12-17-23, 07:17 PM
carguy75
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MisterNoName
Moving in to another one. Pictures are online but I'm going to request a video inside and out since this one is in another state.

They are asking for 20,500.

1) 2015. Only 55,000 miles. Silver exterior, light gray interior.

2) Two owners. Both in Florida. First owner was on a lease for two and a half years.Drove it for 18k miles. Second owner bought from another Lexus dealership in Florida. It has been maintenanced but no mileage service (20k, 30k, etc.). Brake fluid changed at 33k and 46k miles. Belts changed at 42k.

3) According to the Carfax, no accidents or damage. Obviously I'll get a prepurchase inspection to verify.

Don't like that it was on a lease and I wish it was maintenanced at the major mileage points but I suppose I have to compromise somewhere. Still only 55k miles.
I would highly consider that RX if the price is right and it has no mechanical issues. Generally leased cars are well maintained; so it should be a nice used car to buy. The low mileage is a plus as well as the service records stated that a Lexus dealer maintained it.
MisterNoName (12-18-23)