RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Resistance to move although parking brake released

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-23, 01:52 PM
Erikaee1
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Resistance to move although parking brake released

I use my emergency parking brake every time I park on my slightly inclined driveway. I released it, brake light is off, BUT when I try to reverse or put gear in drive, there are grinding noises and resistance to going forward or backward. It feels like I'm stuck on a log. It does move, but i'm afraid if I continue to try to reverse I'm going to break something!! It doesn't move in neutral even though it should ease back down the incline I'm parked on. I also noticed the yellow "skid control" light comes on when I put car in "drive".

My mechanic isn't open til Monday and I'm hoping it's a simple issue. Any advice or suggestions about the problem??? HELP!!!

Last edited by Erikaee1; 12-16-23 at 01:55 PM.
Old 12-16-23, 07:00 PM
carguy75
Intermediate

Received 96 Likes on 84 Posts

Just a guess without actually looking at the car.

Your parking brake mechanism may be broken(seized) which is not allowing the parking brake shoes to disengage from the brake rotor. No easy fix for that other than removing the rear rotor to access the mechanism to free it.

You can keep trying to engage and disengage the parking brake to hopefully free it and do not engage it again until the mechanic sort it out on Monday.

Or you can try to call a mobile mechanic to come to your home if you can not wait until Monday
The following users liked this post:
Erikaee1 (12-17-23)
Old 12-16-23, 09:38 PM
salimshah

Received 1,046 Likes on 944 Posts

I hope you are stopped on a flat surface. With help you can try push the RX with the shifter in "N". Just make sure you will not regret the stop position once it moves.

If the RX fails to move then you have verified it is stuck engaged parking brake.

Next Q is how capable you are in fixing the stuck parking brake and if you have to rely on a mechanic, then would you flat bed the RX or the mechanic will come to you. If you need to call a mobile mechanic then you can make that call on Sunday.

Parking brakes will slow down the motion by dragging, but an engine power can overcome parking brakes. [Exceptions exist due to the slush-box [automatic] and once a while the brakes get a good bite]. Your choice of not driving is wise. Exception to this is force driving when there is snow and ice in the drum and you want it melted out.

If you are capable to do the work yourself [this is more than having the ability, you need access + tools + parts].

I think the 3rd gen is still mechanical cable + jacket parking brake. You can crawl under and spray WD40 where ever cable comes out of the sleeve. Try repeated applying brakes and release. The cable is "Y" shaped. Single run splits into two [one for each rear wheel]. Do not attempt to fix the problem just yet and stop if the brake is released. With the brake released you can make the trip to your mechanic. The problem could be at the tail end [rotor]. Let me caution you that if your brake shoes are stuck in the rotor, it will not be a fun job for a DIYer. Even the mechanic will swear couple of times.

Salim
PS: WD40 is not a lubricant. It fights rust and dislodges lubricant, so it must be followed by a proper lubrication.
Erikaee1 (12-17-23)
Old 12-17-23, 08:54 AM
chas410
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

look for this YouTube Video.

2010-2015 Lexus RX350 RX450h Parking Brake E-Brake Adjustment Procedure

Viktor G Automotive
Erikaee1 (12-17-23)
Old 12-17-23, 09:54 AM
Erikaee1
5th Gear

Originally Posted by carguy75
Just a guess without actually looking at the car.

Your parking brake mechanism may be broken(seized) which is not allowing the parking brake shoes to disengage from the brake rotor. No easy fix for that other than removing the rear rotor to access the mechanism to free it.

You can keep trying to engage and disengage the parking brake to hopefully free it and do not engage it again until the mechanic sort it out on Monday.

Or you can try to call a mobile mechanic to come to your home if you can not wait until Monday
Thank you for feedback! I think a mechanic is necessary : (
Old 12-17-23, 09:57 AM
Erikaee1
5th Gear

This was helpful, but I'm incapable of attempting this fix. Thank you for sending though... appreciate your feedback!
Old 12-17-23, 10:09 AM
Erikaee1
5th Gear

Originally Posted by salimshah
I hope you are stopped on a flat surface. With help you can try push the RX with the shifter in "N". Just make sure you will not regret the stop position once it moves.

If the RX fails to move then you have verified it is stuck engaged parking brake.

Next Q is how capable you are in fixing the stuck parking brake and if you have to rely on a mechanic, then would you flat bed the RX or the mechanic will come to you. If you need to call a mobile mechanic then you can make that call on Sunday.

Parking brakes will slow down the motion by dragging, but an engine power can overcome parking brakes. [Exceptions exist due to the slush-box [automatic] and once a while the brakes get a good bite]. Your choice of not driving is wise. Exception to this is force driving when there is snow and ice in the drum and you want it melted out.

If you are capable to do the work yourself [this is more than having the ability, you need access + tools + parts].

I think the 3rd gen is still mechanical cable + jacket parking brake. You can crawl under and spray WD40 where ever cable comes out of the sleeve. Try repeated applying brakes and release. The cable is "Y" shaped. Single run splits into two [one for each rear wheel]. Do not attempt to fix the problem just yet and stop if the brake is released. With the brake released you can make the trip to your mechanic. The problem could be at the tail end [rotor]. Let me caution you that if your brake shoes are stuck in the rotor, it will not be a fun job for a DIYer. Even the mechanic will swear couple of times.

Salim
PS: WD40 is not a lubricant. It fights rust and dislodges lubricant, so it must be followed by a proper lubrication.
This was very helpful. Thank you! I think each of the responses makes it clear I need a mechanic. Was essential for me to know not to attempt to simply gas pedal my way out of this. I fear this would do some damage that would increase costs to fix. : (
carguy75 (12-18-23)
Old 12-17-23, 10:11 AM
Erikaee1
5th Gear

Originally Posted by chas410
look for this YouTube Video.

2010-2015 Lexus RX350 RX450h Parking Brake E-Brake Adjustment Procedure

Viktor G Automotive
I did view. Helpful, BUT unrealistic for me to pull off! LOL. Thank you for sending!
Old 12-17-23, 09:18 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

Did you wash the car or did it rain before you parked it? There are reports of rust , which can just form overnight, causing binding of the brakes.
Old 12-18-23, 05:21 AM
carguy75
Intermediate

Received 96 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Erikaee1
This was very helpful. Thank you! I think each of the responses makes it clear I need a mechanic. Was essential for me to know not to attempt to simply gas pedal my way out of this. I fear this would do some damage that would increase costs to fix. : (
Hence why I just gave the quick rundown of the possible problem so that you know it will not be an easy fix; unless you work cars enough to have the tools or experience to tackle a parking brake shoe job yourself.
salimshah (12-18-23)