RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Where can I find the 100K service list

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-23 | 01:10 PM
Finalist0946
Driver

Default Where can I find the 100K service list

Just turned 100k and want to get necessary servicing done. Is there a good resource somewhere? Anything I should consider that won't be on the list? The car runs beautifully now so no issues to address that I'm aware of.
Old 12-17-23 | 01:17 PM
Clutchless

Join the Lexus Drivers Site, then enter your VIN and look at the owner's manual maintenance schedule. Here is a link.
It will also let you see the dealer service history of your vehicle. Maintenance schedules have been discussed endless times here and if you hunt around a bit you can find threads about it.
If taking it to a shop I recommend you find a good independent shop that does a lot of work on Toyota/Lexus vehicles as a dealer will make up stuff to repair that is not needed and charge a lot more for everything else.

https://www.lexus.com/My-Lexus/account/create-account
Old 12-17-23 | 05:33 PM
salimshah

Among the owners manuals, the thinnest one is titled Service and Warranty. This manual has the miles and time based service items listed.

Salim
Old 12-18-23 | 06:27 AM
Finalist0946
Driver

Agreed on the private shop. Going to my local dealer is a waste of time as they want to always do a "sit down" and run through all the things they think I should be doing, for big $$
Old 12-18-23 | 06:50 AM
Finalist0946
Driver

My shop says all that's needed for 100,00 mile service is tire rotation, oil change and coolant drain and fill. Advised against a transmission flush and fill as they only recommend that if there's an issue (which there is not).

Any thoughts on these items? Any others I should consider?
Old 12-18-23 | 07:25 AM
Clutchless

You should do the transmission service. If you wait until there is a problem then it is too late. The idea is to change it now to prevent any problems. However it sounds like they do not want to perform that service so you should contact other places to find one that is more receptive. A drain and fill is also good instead of a fluid exchange (which is what a flush is really)

I would have them change the brake fluid if it is dark at all and lubricate the brake caliper slide pins which are often ignored.

Check engine and cabin air filters and change if needed.
Old 12-18-23 | 08:18 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Fresh ATF in these aging Aisin transmissions is always a good idea. A series of three measured drain-and-fills is a very easy DIY project if you have the necessary tools. Quite a few of us have done them during the past two or three years. I stuck with good ol' Toyota WS ATF.
Old 12-18-23 | 09:22 AM
Finalist0946
Driver

Received a response from the shop:

The technical service bulletin from Lexus says there is never a need to change the transmission fluid. The procedure for brake fluid flush makes clear it is best done with the Techstream tool, which we do not possess. If you want these unnecessary items done, we can refer you to another shop.

Had no intention of opening a can of worms with this request. Wondering if I really need these other items done now....

Last edited by Finalist0946; 12-18-23 at 09:54 AM.
Old 12-18-23 | 10:01 AM
RX in NC
Racer

No such animal as "lifetime" fluid of ANY kind in ANY vehicle. Do the series of three measured ATF drain-and-fills yourself. There are several sets of step-by-step instructions on exactly how to do it here on the forum. It truly is an easy job.
Old 12-18-23 | 11:16 AM
Finalist0946
Driver

well according to my shop (they are sending me the documentation) "The Lexus TSB clearly states that" (ATF fluid not be changed). As for brake fluid, they said they often have master cylinder failure a month or two after a flush. It is also a complicated procedure. So now I'm in the middle. lol
Old 12-18-23 | 12:54 PM
Clutchless

You need to find a more technically proficient shop that is more familar with Toyota vehicles. I had my brake fluid flushed by Mr. Tire and there were no issues. I think this shop has failed to invest in modern technology and thus cannot perform these services so says they are not recommended. Try Google or Yelp to find other recommended shops that work on Toyota vehicles. Try this link to find shops recommended by listeners of the old Car Talk radio show. It lets you select city and state. It also lets you choose car make, but that often eliminates many shops that could work on your RX. https://www.cartalk.com/mechanics-files

It is not difficult to flush the brakes. I do it myself with a vacuum brake bleeder. Although once in a while I have a shop do it on my hybrid as the Techstream activates the ABS and other hybrid related brake systems. Many shops have Techstream, or some similar software to activate the ABS to bleed it with the brakes.
Old 12-18-23 | 02:07 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by Finalist0946
well according to my shop (they are sending me the documentation) "The Lexus TSB clearly states that" (ATF fluid not be changed). As for brake fluid, they said they often have master cylinder failure a month or two after a flush. It is also a complicated procedure. So now I'm in the middle. lol
Personally I would be disappointed, but, I am always happy to see some one raise their hand and say they are not in a position to perform certain services because ..... Then it is up to me to go some where else or assure them that I will hold them harmless for certain service that I insist on.

The word "flush" makes me cringe. I prefer replace. I have done the brake fluid replace procedure with assistance of my wife. I would say I am an avid DIYer and as long as air is not introduced [trying to overachieve with flush] the process is simple. Many years ago, I also learnt to put a block under the foot pedal to limit the master cylinder piston travel to normal operation range. In gen3 [atleast in hybrid] there is an electrical pump for brakes and there is no need to pump the brakes repeatedly.

Salim
Old 12-18-23 | 02:45 PM
Finalist0946
Driver

This shop I'm talking to that doesn't do the ATF or brake drain and fill has 4.5 stars in the Car Talk list for my area (out of 77 reviews). Pretty good!

Here's the thing with that rating scale - even ONE rating of 5 puts you at the top, so not exactly a "deep" pool of ratings depending on the shop.

Last edited by Finalist0946; 12-18-23 at 04:53 PM.
Old 12-19-23 | 06:10 AM
Clutchless

I bet they are all older mechanics who are excellent at what they do, but not that accepting of some more modern maintenance practices and have not invested in the equipment necessary for that work.

That is why you need to cross check the Car Talk rankings with Google and Yelp reviews.
FYI according to Toyota the brake fluid should be changed every few years as it absorbs water which leads to internal corrosion of expensive brake components, and brake lines and reduces brake efficiency. Meaning it won't stop as well. I never heard of a shop claiming that changing the brake fluid leads to master cylinder failure.

Last edited by Clutchless; 12-20-23 at 05:37 AM.
Old 12-19-23 | 06:12 AM
Finalist0946
Driver

Clutchless - do you have a source for the brake recommendation you can point me to?

Last edited by Finalist0946; 12-19-23 at 06:15 AM.

Quick Reply: Where can I find the 100K service list