RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

DRL is random on/off, engine is off, car locked

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-24, 01:11 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,160 Likes on 990 Posts

They now make solar battery maintainers that plug into the OBD2 port ( if you have that over there)
Old 01-22-24, 02:04 PM
salimshah

Received 1,046 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by bursach
Definitely, there is a battery drain somewhere. Battery is empty again and car is not showing that information anywhere. Lucky, driving without problems for now. Read in some threads, draining battery is a common problem with almost no solution . Thinking about mini solar panel and charger controller to keep battery charged for a while and extend a charging cycle period.
Hold on my friend the conclusion you are drawing can be incorrect.

1. RX and any other modern vehicles draw current from the battery when parked and locked. So this factor will never be zero.
2. Batteries [restricting ourselves to 12v battery] will age and after a while with expected discharge and charge [normal use] will still fail. You can breath some life by extending the charge cycle but once you let it be on its own, the battery will fail you in a day or two.
3. Any accessory that an owner adds impacts what the manufacturer thinks is "normal" and adds demand to the battery.

What I am trying to convince you is not to ignore item 2. If your battery is more than 3 years [expected life is more but the battery manufacturer do offer their warranty] old try replacing it first before chasing other harder to establish reasons.

Salim
The following users liked this post:
Clutchless (01-22-24)
Old 01-23-24, 01:02 AM
bursach
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Salim,
I was planning first to find a problem with ammeter clamp, also with pulling fuses . Buying a new battery is worthless if cause of problem is not solved. I agree, there always has to be a current flow from battery to power ECU and the rest when locked but have to be max. 50-80mA not 1A for example ( not measured just suppose). First, detecting problem of current draw abnormal , than buying a new battery after removing cause of the problem and making current in limitation of normal.
I have no information from previous owner or any trace how old battery is, it looks like new (not a good reason to not to buy ), and battery tester shows SOH is good. Tester is ok , tested some old batteries and it shows when battery is not good.
I will keep inform here of progression. I have no garage and have to do it outside and temperature is very low here these days (-5 Celsius).
Thank you!

p.s. @Clutchless Thank you for information!
Old 01-23-24, 01:00 PM
salimshah

You have a method in mind. Makes sense to me. Regrettably I don't have current draw numbers for you. With 450H you can crawl into the hatch. I guess you will have to wait for a warm day. When I checked and published my first gen numbers I had to extend leads out of the hood. Hood has to be closed and security armed to get into sleep mode.

Do publish your numbers. We can have bit more meaningful discussion when you do that.

Salim
bursach (01-23-24)
Old 01-25-24, 02:45 PM
salimshah

@bursach Q: Where did you tap for 12v for camera? I need to tap into unswitched 12v [does not turn off when the ignition is turned off] in the front overhead console.

Salim
Old 01-26-24, 12:19 PM
bursach
10th Gear

Originally Posted by salimshah
@bursach Q: Where did you tap for 12v for camera? I need to tap into unswitched 12v [does not turn off when the ignition is turned off] in the front overhead console.

Salim
Salim, find answer in the pictures. Fuse 3 is cigarette lighter when hybrid system is on, and fuse 29 is Rear power left door window which is always on. Left existing fuse 25A + fuse for camera in the same place. Hope this helps.

Old 01-26-24, 01:00 PM
salimshah

Thank you.

The Cigarette is switched [ignition must be On to provide 12v
The Door one is always On.

I spent a good portion trying to find unstitched 12v in the front ceiling console. As I am trying to replace the garage door opener [the buttons are dark at night time] to the newer version where the homeland is in the rear view mirror. I have that sorted out and now just waiting for the mirror to arrive. Hopefully the mirror homeLink is newer verision and I can remove the repeater in the garage. I plan to update that in the other thread.

Salim
bursach (01-26-24)
Old 01-27-24, 08:54 AM
Adee
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About drl

Originally Posted by salimshah
Definitely not normal. Since your battery is showing signs of being low on voltage, it can be the source of this random behavior. Keep in mind it is hard to trace a random problem. If your battery is old, it might be the appropriate to replace it.

Salim
hello !
Pls take out your cargo battery both wires red and black for 5 minutes and than put back.
All system will reset and it mines be solve your problem.

Old 01-28-24, 09:23 AM
bursach
10th Gear

Hi Adee,
already took 12V battery and charged for 14h, out of vehicle, everything reseted then and for now that problem is solved. But stays battery drain 250mA problem in hibernate. Tomorrow will take a new AGM battery and then check again how long battery will last till completly discharged.
Adee (01-29-24)
Old 01-28-24, 06:14 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by bursach
Hi Adee,
already took 12V battery and charged for 14h, out of vehicle, everything reseted then and for now that problem is solved. But stays battery drain 250mA problem in hibernate. Tomorrow will take a new AGM battery and then check again how long battery will last till completly discharged.
Also disconnect any aftermarket accessory when you measure 'hibernate leakage' ..
just a reminder for hibernate measurement

lock twice.
Remove the key fobs [both or all that you have] as far away as possible. Vehicle wakes up in key-fobs presence.
Make sure all doors, hood, hatch are closed.
Make sure the headlights/drl and all interior lights are turned off.
Wait about 20mins before taking the drain current reading. You may have to jury rig the current meter to show while the vehicle is locked up.

Salim