RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

DRL is random on/off, engine is off, car locked

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-24, 12:46 PM
bursach
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile DRL is random on/off, engine is off, car locked

Hello,
I`ve got a strange problem regarding DRL. My DRL is LED type and previous owner installed it in a certified car service ih Switzerland. When engine is off and car is locked, after a few hours DRL is on for a couple of seconds, and then off. It repeats a few times a day randomly.
Is that normal or something is wrong?
I`ve noticed that 12V battery is often between 12.1-12.3V, but no errors on dashboard yet.
Lexus RX450h, 2010.
Old 01-14-24, 06:07 AM
salimshah

Received 1,047 Likes on 945 Posts

Definitely not normal. Since your battery is showing signs of being low on voltage, it can be the source of this random behavior. Keep in mind it is hard to trace a random problem. If your battery is old, it might be the appropriate to replace it.

Salim
Old 01-14-24, 08:52 AM
bursach
10th Gear

Thank you Salim,
definitely should check the battery again, battery checker showed battery is ok, SOH (state of health) is at 100%.
Old 01-14-24, 10:04 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 410 Likes on 327 Posts

Some LED bulbs in certain applications need to have resistors added to their circuits in order to ensure that they shut off 100% and stay off after the vehicle is shut down. This can often be the case when folks try to install LEDs to replace their regular bulbs. I have read about situations where aftermarket LEDs continue to glow for hours after shutdown.
Old 01-14-24, 01:46 PM
bursach
10th Gear

I agree for the resistor in LED circuits in this case, but problem started a few days ago, until that everything was fine. Car was in Switzerland and worked perfectly. Tonight I was monitoring a DRL for a couple of minutes and DRL lights up and off in interval of 3 seconds . Try to lock the car with key fob twice and it stops. Have to find in settings where to turn off DRL until check everything again. Battery 12V shows tonight 11.42V, will see the results in the morning and charge it if needed.
Thank you!
Old 01-14-24, 06:00 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by bursach
Thank you Salim,
definitely should check the battery again, battery checker showed battery is ok, SOH (state of health) is at 100%.
Can you please share which process was used to check the battery? And we are talking about 12v battery in the trunk of the RX450. Reason I ask is that voltage testing method can give you false results. You should used load test equipment.

Please note, you are in the best position to diagnose. We are miles away and mostly speculating.

Salim
Old 01-15-24, 11:40 AM
bursach
10th Gear

Salim,
I take battery off the vehicle and put to charge. It charging almost 10h, have to wait till charge is over and install to lexus.
These pictures are from this morning before charging. I have a dashboard camera(new one Viofo A229Pro) with hardware kit for working after car engine is off, until battery voltage is 12.1V and automaticaly camera is shut off to prevent battery drain. I have disconnected camera yesterday.
This problem persists before I installed the camera but in such lower intense. Maybe camera drain battery much more and finished the battery.
I will let you know when install full charge battery if there is any changes.
These pictures are from this morning before external charging the battery. Battery tester shows that battery need to be charged. I will test battery after charging and upload a picture.

start current test

quick test

morning voltage
Old 01-16-24, 08:08 AM
salimshah

12.1v is low for the battery and from picture it seems you have at least replaced the battery once in the past,

A healthy battery should be able to sustain low load but as it ages the voltage starts dropping without a charge. I am not saying that a new battery will solve your problem, but we have indicators [your camera shutting off] of battery being on the last leg. This is why I suggest that replace the battery. [eliminating a potential source]. Next would be remove the accessory [camera] and test for few days.

Note: When the battery reaches end of life, an overnight charge brings up the voltage but with light load the voltage drops off. It is seldom a case of clean death, as the recharge cycle keeps the battery on life support. I usually use the 5-7 yr age limit for a good battery. If it is shorter, then I look for possible drain when not in use.

Salim
PS: I am so happy that you took my previous post in positive light. Sometimes over the net posts can give a negative connotation about doubting the other person. Thank you!
Old 01-16-24, 08:28 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,272 Likes on 984 Posts

If the led lights installed are aftermarket, it's hard to know how they will behave. However the discussion and facts of your current battery do lead to the possibility, it's not healthy anymore. Highly computerized cars are very sensitive to lower voltages and can cause many unexplainable issues. It would be smart to charge the battery overnight and then go to a shop to have it load tested as well as the charging system performance. It'll cost you a little money but you can be certain of the battery and charging system condition and function. I don't know if your Hank and Fluke give a proper load test.
Old 01-16-24, 09:11 AM
bursach
10th Gear

Thank you both @Salim and @swfla!

A little update. I charged a battery (14 hours) and installed this morning. Hantek shows 88% of SOH. DRL now is not light up for about few hours (in my place is night at 4pm) and no random light up still. I suppose you two said that battery voltage is drop to almost dead is issue with electronics and what happening with DRL. Next I will monitoring battery voltage for drop and maybe battery drain when engine is off, dashboard cam will be off for a few days. I have a battery charger where I can control a charging current (made by myself), and hope I will not use it again for a while.
Electronics is my job, but I have to ask more experienced guys like you to not waisting time when I have not to and this car is sophisticated with electronics.
Old 01-18-24, 10:02 PM
salimshah

If you ever get to look at discharge current, remember the vehicle goes to sleep in stages off, 1st level sleep extended sleep after you lock the vehicle [all doors + hood] closed. Also remove the key and take it out of range, else the vehicle will wake up and even prime up the fuel.

Salim
Old 01-19-24, 02:40 AM
bursach
10th Gear

Originally Posted by salimshah
If you ever get to look at discharge current, remember the vehicle goes to sleep in stages off, 1st level sleep extended sleep after you lock the vehicle [all doors + hood] closed. Also remove the key and take it out of range, else the vehicle will wake up and even prime up the fuel.

Salim
Thank you Salim, for now ,everything seems to be ok, battery holds up a charge at 12.5V, no random blinking DRLs, dashboard cameras works well. Will continue to monitor anyway for a few days.
I was wondering if there is a information on the nav display somewhere about state and voltage of the 12V and hybrid batteries, must be available without car diagnostic tool?
Old 01-19-24, 07:47 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by bursach
Thank you Salim, for now ,everything seems to be ok, battery holds up a charge at 12.5V, no random blinking DRLs, dashboard cameras works well. Will continue to monitor anyway for a few days.
I was wondering if there is a information on the nav display somewhere about state and voltage of the 12V and hybrid batteries, must be available without car diagnostic tool?
Regrettably I do not have knowledge of specification stated anywhere. Other than general health of 12v batteries and type of failures they show [age decay, dead cells].

On the other hand the more important issues are how do the installed electronics behave as the voltage started dropping. This is complex as the drain current influences the non-ideal voltage source [since you have electronics background, you most likely understand this point better than others]. There are influencers like temperature which impact not only the battery but the loads as well. Displays get impacted by temperature a whole lot. The combined impact of lesser than expected voltage and temperature shifts the operating point out of the "working area".

I wish you the best in your quest to get the information you seek. For measurements, I do gross check with voltmeter [shorted cell or open], under load test [i visit a store who sells batteries], my 5-7year age limit. For maintenance I do throw my charger on for about 24 hours every six months or when I don't drive the vehicle for a week.

For the hight voltage battery, there is a mention of Prius AP [I don't have it]. I simply follow the Lexus advice of driving every week. My battery is 13yrs old. The instrument display shows reasonable activity discharge and charge. For maintenance I have opened and examined the ducts [under the passenger seat] and they were nice and clean.

Salim
Old 01-19-24, 11:30 AM
bursach
10th Gear

Originally Posted by salimshah
Regrettably I do not have knowledge of specification stated anywhere. Other than general health of 12v batteries and type of failures they show [age decay, dead cells].

On the other hand the more important issues are how do the installed electronics behave as the voltage started dropping. This is complex as the drain current influences the non-ideal voltage source [since you have electronics background, you most likely understand this point better than others]. There are influencers like temperature which impact not only the battery but the loads as well. Displays get impacted by temperature a whole lot. The combined impact of lesser than expected voltage and temperature shifts the operating point out of the "working area".

I wish you the best in your quest to get the information you seek. For measurements, I do gross check with voltmeter [shorted cell or open], under load test [i visit a store who sells batteries], my 5-7year age limit. For maintenance I do throw my charger on for about 24 hours every six months or when I don't drive the vehicle for a week.

For the hight voltage battery, there is a mention of Prius AP [I don't have it]. I simply follow the Lexus advice of driving every week. My battery is 13yrs old. The instrument display shows reasonable activity discharge and charge. For maintenance I have opened and examined the ducts [under the passenger seat] and they were nice and clean.

Salim
Salim, I agree with you about the drain current influences the non-ideal voltage source and also outside temperature variations as well. We all hope that Lexus engineers think a little bit about it, and what we have in our cars is the best possible for car electric system.
From my experience to different types of batteries, voltage and current is very complex thing when battery is test under the load, and also other electronics regard to that battery behave at the different ways. If electronics does not have a proper voltage and current protection, there is a big problem.
My high voltage battery is also 14 years old and I don`t see any capacity dropping during driving. I`ve noticed that I can drive a few kilometers(mile and a half) with only electric which in user manual is normal state for driving.
Future plan is to buy a bi-directional car diagnostic with an option to show a state of every cell in HV battery and everything electric in the car . Yes I can do it like you, open the HV box and measure every cell but I think this is more comfortable. When (if) the problem shows with HV battery I will replace it by myself. I hope it will not be so soon, no matter that car has only 55 000 miles on board for 14 years of use .
It is correct for driving a car once in week to keep optimal charge and life span of both battery types. HV battery is NiMH type and is less resistant to self discharging.
Thank you for your support in this thread!

Old 01-22-24, 10:41 AM
bursach
10th Gear

Definitely, there is a battery drain somewhere. Battery is empty again and car is not showing that information anywhere. Lucky, driving without problems for now. Read in some threads, draining battery is a common problem with almost no solution . Thinking about mini solar panel and charger controller to keep battery charged for a while and extend a charging cycle period.

Quick Reply: DRL is random on/off, engine is off, car locked