RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Lexus Dealer Repair Costs

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-24, 07:14 PM
kjkcjk
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Lexus Dealer Repair Costs

Brought car - Lexus 2013 RX350 4WD has ~130,000 miles in for Rear Differential Leak (maybe 4-6 drops total in garage) - noticeable seepage at left rear drive axle.

No noticeable issues driving are noises, just happened to notice the few drops on garage floor fresh.

Took to Honda Dealer we actually do trust who has done some smaller routine work on the car in the past, but they referred us back to Lexus for this.

Lexus came back and said:
Rear Differential Seals - Left Rear axle seal and axle nut - includes rear diff fluid. $1,253.80

Seems they'd just replace the Seals, most of the work is the Labor. Not getting much hardware for this it didn't seem...

Then came all the additional:

This I actually did see myself also before taking there while checking out the rear differential leak - from the front at the engine underneath I could see a little light colored oil seepage - but wasn't sure what I was looking at TBH. They also saw that, and said, you could go another 50K miles and not have an issue, but that is your:
Front Seals leaking: Timing Cover Reseal needed - $4,894.88 - WOW!

Then the additional they also said needs Immediate Attention:
Shock Absorber Replacement - Rear (1) - $746.10
Brake Job - Front (Replace PAds and Rotors): front pads at 4mm and rotors grooved - $748.44
Brake Job- Rear (Replace Pads and Rotors) - Pads at 3mm and Rotors Grooved - $694.79
Front Hood Struts - $400.51
Transmission Fluid Change - $368.94
Cooling System Service (Drain and Fill) - $244.24
Brake Flush - $218.45
Transfer Case Fluid Replacement - $134.94

Brakes are needed, but that seems high $$ $748 front/$694 Back - but maybe not considering new Rotors? Likely to do the Drivetrain leak that I took it in for and the Brakes somewhere if not there, but all these other things I'm not sure have really ever been done on this car from the prior owner or from us from 90K miles to ~130K Miles, but the prior owner for several years took it to Lexus like clockwork and we have too... We did the larger 90K Service for $1,300 shortly after we bought it which included spark plugs, changed Brake Fluid and other stuff, felt like the car was pretty reliable and flawless.... to then get this dissertation of repairs needed that I think totaled 9K, felt like a 'program' and scam basically... and I'm sure they get plenty of scared people that say 'do it all'.....to have peace of mind... sad in a sense, or is this just what it costs now and these are all very legit things?

Love to hear any feedback, all is welcome! Kind of went from bragging about the Lexus RX350 being so reliable and this car that has nothing wrong, to feeling like I'm not sure I'd get one again due to a 'Service visit' seemingly driven by a software program to help the Service Advisor make as much possible commission in a visit as humanly possible...mixed with some Fear/Uncertainty/Doubt and some actual legit needs you're left to figure out and wonder if a local mechanic can do just as well.

Last edited by kjkcjk; 01-17-24 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-17-24, 08:23 PM
carguy75
Advanced

Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

Unfortunately, the RX350 does have those problems listed like any other car. The front timing cover leak is very common, but generally do not have to be addressed aside from cleaning off the oil residue since it is a low pressure weeping leak. More of an eye sore; unless it gets bad enough to drip on the floor after a drive.

The differential seal leak is not as common with your mileage, but generally happens after 200k miles. The rear axle seal leak is a generally easy repair if you have the know how and tools. The seal is only a $20 part. However, unless you do the job yourself then you will have to pay a mechanic expensive labor fees to install it.

The axle seal repair performed on a RX330. Similar process for the RX350. Not a $1000 repair job.

Last edited by carguy75; 01-17-24 at 08:38 PM.
Old 01-17-24, 09:43 PM
kjkcjk
Rookie

great feedback and much appreciated! - I will review that video also, even thought this is not anything I'd do myself, but would like to understand the 'what' is involved to determine if it seems reasonable cost-wise and if I felt someone that does do repair work daily and is current on common problems for this product and difficulties of repairs can weigh in... thank you thank you... I don't mind paying to have that particular repair serviced by Lexus as I have plenty of money and I'm not interested in taking our time off work to find out a local mechanic can't really do it or they feel you shouldn't do anything to save us money, I'd prefer resolution with the problem solving mind in effect and not just 'sniff sniff, smells like X, but don't know, I can rip and replace X for 8 gagillion, you good with that?" ...cuz that what it 'can' feel like at 'some' dealerships, I've had experience with some dealrships where this is definitely no the case, but this one is inching/yarding towards that it seems....

Old 01-17-24, 09:55 PM
salimshah

Received 1,075 Likes on 968 Posts

Lexus maintenance and repair is not cheap. It sits below European and above domestics.

The cost per list item should be reported with breakdown part cost, labor cost, material (oils + cleaner etc) and disposal cost. Parts and labor cost are typically the big hitters. For some measly cost item, the labor can be fairly intensive. For the untrained the labor cost is calculated by published book hours for the item TIMES labor rates rounded up to next half hour. College graduate Engineers make less than the hourly labor rates.

To generate more business/profit the shop may try to upsell. Always ask for evidence why a repair is needed and consequences of postponing a suggested repair.

Prices have gone up. Check with your trusted Honda shop what they would charge for an identical brake job on Accord or on a MDX. It will not be too far from what you were quoted.

One solution is to only own vehicles as long as you have warranty. The other is to DIY. DIY requires tools and know how and membership to Club Lexus

Salim

PS: Also note that micro level repair is not possible/preferred. It is generally replace the whole module.

Last edited by salimshah; 01-17-24 at 09:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Montanaman (01-18-24)
Old 01-17-24, 10:18 PM
kjkcjk
Rookie

Thank you for that reply. I am not in the DIY camp at all, I'm sure I could with proper tools, but the desire and time bandwidth compared to how it interferes with my actual wealth building income of my work is the actual reason for doing a crosscheck of those who I'm paying to do that work vs. whether it is actually needed vs if needed is it a reasonable expense of ours. Maybe when I choose to retire I can make the car repair a Hobby of mine....I'm more inclined to buy a vehicle used, where the warranty period isn't so significant of a financial concern as I can easily pay for many times the value of the actual car itself if needed (but like anybody doesn't 'want' to), but just wanting to make sure I'm not succumbing to typical marketing/sales programs I'm quite familiar with other industries outside of the automotive industry - because it sure smells like those I'm quite familiar with, and I understand very well how the majority of the population thinks the Dealership represents the MFG and they're there to help... and they certainly can be, and they certainly can't be as the dealership sales channel the auto mfg has setup, allows. .... I feel like I've had two opposite extremes, our local Honda Dealer is totally straight faced and we're talking about the actual issue at hand and the Lexus dealer is totally out to make the issue at hand a costly endevour and you've just poked the bear and will find out what really needs to be done at a price-point you might just want (at a car your age of ~11 years) to just get rid of, and here is your $4K (cost for repairs/test drive the replacement vehicle ..haha)... New Lexus RX350 Loaner to wet your appetite.... It feels so obviously salesy..... ......
Montanaman (01-18-24)
Old 01-18-24, 05:22 AM
carguy75
Advanced

Originally Posted by kjkcjk
great feedback and much appreciated! - I will review that video also, even thought this is not anything I'd do myself, but would like to understand the 'what' is involved to determine if it seems reasonable cost-wise and if I felt someone that does do repair work daily and is current on common problems for this product and difficulties of repairs can weigh in... thank you thank you... I don't mind paying to have that particular repair serviced by Lexus as I have plenty of money and I'm not interested in taking our time off work to find out a local mechanic can't really do it or they feel you shouldn't do anything to save us money, I'd prefer resolution with the problem solving mind in effect and not just 'sniff sniff, smells like X, but don't know, I can rip and replace X for 8 gagillion, you good with that?" ...cuz that what it 'can' feel like at 'some' dealerships, I've had experience with some dealrships where this is definitely no the case, but this one is inching/yarding towards that it seems....
You are welcome.

I used to not like to do my own car repairs, until I learned that I am very good at it.

I usually save money by repairing my own cars and dump the money into paying someone else to paint the home or stain the deck. I prefer performing automotive projects over home projects involving wood working and paint.

Like you; I can easily pay someone to repair my cars or just buy another used one flat out, but I get a sense of satisfaction from being able to sort out my own car. It is therapeutic to me.

laserwiz (01-22-24)
Old 01-18-24, 09:14 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,175 Likes on 1,003 Posts

I agree with the above comments. The timing cover leak or seep is never worth repairing. If you want to pay the dealer to do the differential then do so for peace of mind.
However I drove a 1995 Ford Explorer for 10 years with a leaking front differential. I just had the fluid checked and topped up every year. Never got it repaired.

Regarding their other proposed repairs, they are typical dealer loading on repairs that may or may not be needed and overcharging for them. See my individual comments below.
How long do you intend to keep the RX?
​​​​​​
Then the additional they also said needs Immediate Attention:
Shock Absorber Replacement - Rear (1) - $746.10 -This price is insane! The replacement rear shocks cost about $80 each from Lexus and it takes 30 minutes to replace each one. I have done it in my garage in that much time. Any local gas station can do this job for under $250. At your mileage both should be replaced.

Brake Job - Front (Replace PAds and Rotors): front pads at 4mm and rotors grooved - $748.44 These are not terrible dealer prices for the brake work..................
Brake Job- Rear (Replace Pads and Rotors) - Pads at 3mm and Rotors Grooved - $694.79 Same comment
Front Hood Struts - $400.51 - This price is insane but mostly because they are using overpriced Lexus struts. You can get aftermarket hood struts from liftsupportdepot.com and have a local gas station install them for less than half the price.
Transmission Fluid Change - $368.94 - This is worth doing although the price is high.
Cooling System Service (Drain and Fill) - $244.24 Again you may as well do it
Brake Flush - $218.45 - This should be done every 3 years anyway.
Transfer Case Fluid Replacement - $134.94 Go ahead and change this fluid.

At 130,000 miles you are due for the coolant replacement but I am surprised they did not also try to sell you spark plug replacement, unless they already did it at a prior service.

Finally you can use this link to find great local car mechanics recommended by listeners of the old Car Talk radio show. It lets you select city and state. The parts on the RX are shared by almost every other Toyota and Lexus model and any competent shop has familiarity working on them as Toyota has sold millions of vehicles over the last 18 years with this same engine, transmission, brakes, differential, transfer case etc. The hood struts are the same on every vehicle sold around the world, Once you find a few shops in your area do a quick Google search for more current information as some of it may be old. https://www.cartalk.com/mechanics-files

Last edited by Clutchless; 01-18-24 at 09:41 AM.
Montanaman (01-18-24)
Old 01-18-24, 09:32 AM
nmehta211
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Check your local toyota dealer. Given the similarity to the Highlander, most Toyota dealers have no problem servicing my 2010 Lexus. With an abundance of Toyota taxis and uber cars, our local dealer is relatively cheap.
Clutchless (01-18-24)
Old 01-18-24, 11:11 AM
kjkcjk
Rookie

Yes - spark plugs were done at 90K through Lexus... Thank you so much for your response. I will check out the links you provided as well! Great forum!
Old 01-18-24, 04:06 PM
Clutchless

Bell Lexus of North Scottsdale, a reputable ebay seller, is selling original equipment rear shocks for the 2013-2015 RX350 for $56 each! You could buy them and take them to almost any local repair shop and probably get them installed for an hour or 2 labor. Anybody elses labor cost will be cheaper than the dealer rates.
Both rear shocks are the same part number: 48531-0E221
https://www.ebay.com/itm/25620854128...ATkauUJyIhVDKQ

Here is a link to the hood support struts, you could get the same independent shop to install them:
https://www.liftsupportsdepot.com/ye...UTILITY-4-DOOR
Old 01-18-24, 09:10 PM
kjkcjk
Rookie

Thanks for the replies and considerations. Ended up doing the Drivetrain rear differential leak, brake job front and rear and Transmission fluid change, Cooling System Drain and Fill, Transfer Case fluid replacement change and Brake Fluid flush through them. Lower the hammer and make fun. However, I ordered front hood struts and rear powered lift struts (because that was a prior issue that has been iffy (some shuddering on the rear powered lift gate) from that www.liftsupportdepot.com .....I'll fiddle with that - Other half drove the newer 2023 Lexus loaner and thought it was a spaceship, had no gear shift had to be given lessons how it worked to be able to drive it (silly nerd stuff, not impressed, more aggravated = sales fail), wasn't as comfortable as the 2013 RX350 (not sold on the new model 'at all', visibility sucked in comparison, total turn off) - (prefers the next gen after 2015, but not the newest 2023 era RX350)

Thanks for the input on the Front Seals, timing cover folks (the Lexus service advisor backed off on that, as something that isn't needed really until maybe another 50K when oil might actually touch the ground (dun dun dunnnnn..haha) - moving forward we are going to find an independent repair person and shop repair work like the above around. Lexus dealer wins this time I guess out of convenience and the Service Advisor gets their well deserved commission...? haha - ...but at least we're not buying a newer 45K Lexus blah blah... I'll spend ~4K in repairs instead of 45K every day. (but still struggle knowing shopping around it could have been 2K or whatever for repairs...with a local and a bit more inconvenience...or that I could have had what was needed with tools to do myself (which i don't at all) and the satisfaction that brings (I'll satisfy that with the hood and liftgate struts! ) - Thanks again everyone for the tips and input! Maybe I'm still a RX350 fan yet.

Last edited by kjkcjk; 01-18-24 at 09:17 PM.
carguy75 (01-22-24)
Old 01-19-24, 03:45 AM
Clutchless

Now you know you can safely drive the RX for several more years.
See these youtube videos on how to replace the hood and hatch struts if you decide to be adventerous as this is a simple job that only needs common tools you may have around. Or they may make you decide to pay a local shop, again any car repair shop can do this for you.
​​​​​​

​​​​​​

Last edited by Clutchless; 01-19-24 at 03:51 AM.
Old 01-19-24, 07:31 AM
salimshah

Received 1,075 Likes on 968 Posts

I am curious if a customer will be happy if the shop [not necessarily the dealership] ...
Gives one time a complete laundry list of items that need attention
OR
Piecemeal it.

Personally I would like the full list and the shop help me prioritize the list. I would be unhappy with a new list every time I visit the shop.

Opinion [no personal offense intended] : I think OP is a typical Lexus owner that the company has built the line around. The target customer is technically savvy, with enough financial resource and they weigh their options. The typical customer would prefer the dealership to perform needed service. Lexus has built margins to handle complaints at a certain level.

Salim
Old 01-22-24, 03:26 AM
Lead Lap

Received 783 Likes on 532 Posts

Wouldn’t it be cheaper for you to buy a much lower mileage RX with no repairs needed rather than sink so much money into a high mileage RX?

Lower mileage RX will also have higher resale value once you’re done with it.
Old 01-22-24, 04:30 AM
carguy75
Advanced

Originally Posted by kjkcjk
Thanks for the replies and considerations. Ended up doing the Drivetrain rear differential leak, brake job front and rear and Transmission fluid change, Cooling System Drain and Fill, Transfer Case fluid replacement change and Brake Fluid flush through them. Lower the hammer and make fun. However, I ordered front hood struts and rear powered lift struts (because that was a prior issue that has been iffy (some shuddering on the rear powered lift gate) from that www.liftsupportdepot.com .....I'll fiddle with that - Other half drove the newer 2023 Lexus loaner and thought it was a spaceship, had no gear shift had to be given lessons how it worked to be able to drive it (silly nerd stuff, not impressed, more aggravated = sales fail), wasn't as comfortable as the 2013 RX350 (not sold on the new model 'at all', visibility sucked in comparison, total turn off) - (prefers the next gen after 2015, but not the newest 2023 era RX350)

Thanks for the input on the Front Seals, timing cover folks (the Lexus service advisor backed off on that, as something that isn't needed really until maybe another 50K when oil might actually touch the ground (dun dun dunnnnn..haha) - moving forward we are going to find an independent repair person and shop repair work like the above around. Lexus dealer wins this time I guess out of convenience and the Service Advisor gets their well deserved commission...? haha - ...but at least we're not buying a newer 45K Lexus blah blah... I'll spend ~4K in repairs instead of 45K every day. (but still struggle knowing shopping around it could have been 2K or whatever for repairs...with a local and a bit more inconvenience...or that I could have had what was needed with tools to do myself (which i don't at all) and the satisfaction that brings (I'll satisfy that with the hood and liftgate struts! ) - Thanks again everyone for the tips and input! Maybe I'm still a RX350 fan yet.
Regardless on how much you paid and who performed the work; the ultimate goal is done. Your RX350 is repaired to your satisfaction.

Some owners like newer cars for a sense of security and the modern options; other like yourself value saving money by repairing your old ride over spending money to drive a new ride to avoid repairing the old car.

Personally, I wished that I could put the newer interior features/trim in an old 2010-2012 RX350 body style. I do not like the 2013 and newer body styling(front grills mainly) as much as I liked my old 2011 RX350 simple front end styling.
salimshah (01-22-24)

Quick Reply: Lexus Dealer Repair Costs