RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Another oil cooler line failure post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-24, 12:46 PM
Robf997
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Another oil cooler line failure post!

Hi everybody,

I have a 2010 Lexus Rx350 with 190,000 miles. I took it for a 20 mile drive today and towards the end of my drive I noticed that my rear windshield was dirty and would not wash off with washer fluid. I chalked it up to the insane amounts of salt on the roads from the recent snow here in MD. When I got to the final stretch of road before my house and turned into the adjacent street I got a “low oil pressure” warning that immediately shut off when I straightened the car. Turned into my street and again with the turn “low oil pressure”. Concerned, I quickly whipped into my driveway where I heard a rattle, again “low oil pressure, engine smoothed out and I quickly shut it off.

upon checking the dipstick there was not even enough oil to register on the tip of the stick. I added 1-2qts and it finally registered. Added 5 quarts total and it was in the middle of the dipstick.

99% sure this is another oil cooler line failure. I ran the engine again after adding the 5qts for about 10 seconds and seemed to run okay before I shut off again.

Should I have the shop pull the oil pan and check rod bearings before doing any other work? No point in swapping the pipe if rod bearings are scored on it or other engine damage occurred.

I will get the metal pipes if all is good with the engine!

Robert Fox
Old 01-25-24, 02:49 PM
bearcav
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Robf997
Hi everybody,

I have a 2010 Lexus Rx350 with 190,000 miles. I took it for a 20 mile drive today and towards the end of my drive I noticed that my rear windshield was dirty and would not wash off with washer fluid. I chalked it up to the insane amounts of salt on the roads from the recent snow here in MD. When I got to the final stretch of road before my house and turned into the adjacent street I got a “low oil pressure” warning that immediately shut off when I straightened the car. Turned into my street and again with the turn “low oil pressure”. Concerned, I quickly whipped into my driveway where I heard a rattle, again “low oil pressure, engine smoothed out and I quickly shut it off.

upon checking the dipstick there was not even enough oil to register on the tip of the stick. I added 1-2qts and it finally registered. Added 5 quarts total and it was in the middle of the dipstick.

99% sure this is another oil cooler line failure. I ran the engine again after adding the 5qts for about 10 seconds and seemed to run okay before I shut off again.

Should I have the shop pull the oil pan and check rod bearings before doing any other work? No point in swapping the pipe if rod bearings are scored on it or other engine damage occurred.

Robert Fox
I think they'll charge more for oil pan + bearing inspection than just replacing the oil cooler line.

But, how was your car not leaking again after adding 5qt and running the engine? Once the rubber line ruptures, it doesn't seal it self....
The following users liked this post:
Robf997 (01-25-24)
Old 01-25-24, 03:05 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,160 Likes on 990 Posts

Have you looked under the hood and under the engine from the front to see if the oil line ruptured or any other possible leak source?

With that many miles, don't waste money on dropping the oil pan and inspecting the bearings,which involves even more labor to remove the bearing caps and reassemble them.

Tow it to a shop. Have the oil cooler line replaced and since it appears to run, just keep driving, or consider yourself lucky and trade it in after the oil leak is repaired and all the spilled oil cleaned off of the car underside etc.
Robf997 (01-25-24)
Old 01-25-24, 03:16 PM
Robf997
10th Gear

Originally Posted by bearcav
I think they'll charge more for oil pan + bearing inspection than just replacing the oil cooler line.

But, how was your car not leaking again after adding 5qt and running the engine? Once the rubber line ruptures, it doesn't seal it self....
it was leaking really bad, only ran the car on/off the tow truck after adding the 5qts. Had it towed to the shop.
Old 01-25-24, 03:18 PM
Robf997
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Have you looked under the hood and under the engine from the front to see if the oil line ruptured or any other possible leak source?

With that many miles, don't waste money on dropping the oil pan and inspecting the bearings,which involves even more labor to remove the bearing caps and reassemble them.

Tow it to a shop. Have the oil cooler line replaced and since it appears to run, just keep driving, or consider yourself lucky and trade it in after the oil leak is repaired and all the spilled oil cleaned off of the car underside etc.
Yes definitely the cooler lines. My last RX went to 300k+ miles, was hoping this one would too.

I had it towed to the shop. Will definitely take your advice into account, keep changing oil regularly and when it goes it goes.
Old 01-25-24, 09:28 PM
carguy75
Intermediate

Received 96 Likes on 84 Posts

Hi everybody,

Robert Fox
Not to be a negative poster, but you may have some internal damage(rod bearings) due to oil starvation. Generally, the longer the engine runs with low oil pressure light the greater chance for internal damage to the engine. If you use very good synthetic oil in your engine that is fairly fresh, then your engine may have a good protect film that protected the engine from any major wear during the low oiling period.

If you are using cheap quality oil or long oil change intervals then likelihood of engine damage is very high.
Robf997 (01-27-24)
Old 01-27-24, 09:10 AM
Robf997
10th Gear

Originally Posted by carguy75
Not to be a negative poster, but you may have some internal damage(rod bearings) due to oil starvation. Generally, the longer the engine runs with low oil pressure light the greater chance for internal damage to the engine. If you use very good synthetic oil in your engine that is fairly fresh, then your engine may have a good protect film that protected the engine from any major wear during the low oiling period.

If you are using cheap quality oil or long oil change intervals then likelihood of engine damage is very high.
So I change my oil every 5000 miles with Mobil 1 synthetic and add Liqui moly ceratec or mos 2 every 10-20k miles to the oil. Is this enough to have protected the bearings during the low oil period? Only time will tell I guess. Will update this forum if my engine goes or if I decide to pull the pan but hopefully I’m okay on this one.
carguy75 (01-28-24)
Old 01-28-24, 05:25 AM
carguy75
Intermediate

Received 96 Likes on 84 Posts

So I change my oil every 5000 miles with Mobil 1 synthetic and add Liqui moly ceratec or mos 2 every 10-20k miles to the oil. Is this enough to have protected the bearings during the low oil period? Only time will tell I guess. Will update this forum if my engine goes or if I decide to pull the pan but hopefully I’m okay on this one.
I or anyone else cannot say for sure that the short oil change interval, Mobil 1 oil and Liquid Moly additive was enough to prevent damage without looking inside the engine, but they all sure reduced the chance of a bearing being ran dry due to properly lubricating the internals with a durable protective film coating.

Hopefully, your engine internals was not damaged during the low oiling period. If the engine is not making any noises(knocking) or running rough then I would say that the engine is fine.

Last edited by carguy75; 01-28-24 at 06:35 PM.
Robf997 (01-28-24)
Old 01-31-24, 02:19 AM
mtlrx
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Of the several posts indicating oil line failure, was the symptom simply oil on the ground?
I don't see an oil pressure icon in my gauge cluster, and there doesn't appear to be one described in the owners manual.
Is this normal? Seems a pretty basic indicator that is in every car.
Robf997 (02-06-24)
Old 01-31-24, 04:13 AM
Clutchless

What year and model RX do you have? If it is 2013-2015 then you have the metal oil cooler lines if you have the tow prep package.

There is an oil pressure warning light that lights up when you start the vehicle and it goes away seconds after you start the motor. To see it, get in the car and keeping your foot off the brake, hit the start button to put it into accessory mode, you should be able to see the oil warning light. It looks like the outline of an orange oil can. I hope you also know what the low tire pressure warning light looks like.
See this link for info on the common warning lights. https://www.earnhardtlexus.com/blogs...and-indicators.

Also you have to have the tow prep package to have the oil cooler, and you have to have a 2010-2012 model to have the rubber oil cooler lines. In Canada there was a recall to replace them. In the US we got screwed and Lexus was only required to put out an extended service warranty. Since you are in Quebec, Canada, just contact your Lexus dealer and if your car has them, they should replace them for free under the recall if it has not already been done.

Last edited by Clutchless; 01-31-24 at 04:18 AM.
Old 01-31-24, 05:54 AM
mtlrx
Driver

Clutchless
Thanks for the reply. I have a 2014 RX350 Fsport 2
I have the tow package, I have meatal lines, all good there. I'm diagnosing another problem, and checking my indicator lights.
There is no oil icon on my dash. Foot off the brake and turned to accessories only.
I thought I was crazy too, I just check a co workers 2014 Premium package, no oil Icon either. WTF???
I checked my owners manual for the cluster layout for my car, they do not show an oil icon. Only in Canada eh?

As well, this is the first car I have experienced the "check engine" light stays lit until the engine is started. All other cars I have owned the check engine light goes out in about 20 seconds even if the engine is not started.
Next time you are in your car, can you take a look and confirm.
Old 01-31-24, 06:55 AM
Clutchless

My 2010 is different from your 2014 F-Sport. I think you need to read your owners manual for more information regarding the dashboard warning lights on your vehicle as I am not familiar with the 2014.
If it is not in your vehicle, you can find it online at the Lexus Drivers Site. https://www.lexus.com/My-Lexus/account/create-account
Old 01-31-24, 09:35 AM
mtlrx
Driver

I need to figure out how to post pictures.
Owners manual clearly shows all icons and labels them, no oil light.
Old 01-31-24, 11:01 AM
Clutchless

You usually have to use the advanced feature to post attachments or photos.
Old 02-01-24, 04:01 AM
marksa
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mtlrx
I need to figure out how to post pictures.
Owners manual clearly shows all icons and labels them, no oil light.
There is no oil light on the 2010 rx.

Quick Reply: Another oil cooler line failure post!