RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

A Not another Android Heat Unit Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-24, 04:06 PM
scc1968
5th Gear

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default A Not another Android Heat Unit Thread!

So I have a 2011 RX 350 FWS w/o navigation. The radio unit was as basic as I think was possible to purchase. Has 6 CD changer, AM/FM radio, Satellite Radio receiver, Auxiliary Jack in the Center Console storage bin, along with a USB port. No rear seat media. The backup camera is also in the rear view mirror.

After looking around the internet, reading experiences here, I ended up purchasing https://autotecpro.com/product/lexus...v=e4b09f3f8402

The purchasing experience was pleasant. Within 24 hours of the order, I had an email asking for vehicle specifics and a photo my radio console, just to be sure i was sent the correct hardware.

The unit itself came in one box with two boxes inside.

Box with the Frame for mounting

Box with the Android unit and cables.
Then there was the unpacking.

The android unit

The cables and accessories.
The following 2 users liked this post by scc1968:
carguy75 (02-04-24), Lukasteam (04-01-24)
Old 02-04-24, 04:39 PM
scc1968
5th Gear

Some of the cables and accessories were unnecessary or not usable for my installation. The Speaker, not needed, nor the OBDII CAN cable. The Master connection cable, had all the connectors not applicable to my specific vehicle neatly covered and taped over. That helped as there are no instructions provided. Most of the installation was pretty obvious though.

I had to remove the original Radio and display. That was a challenge. I recommend obtaining full instructions and trim removal tools, 10mm socket with short and long extensions, a JS #2 screwdriver and a magnet for retrieving the screws when you drop them. I do think I did my drill sergeant proud in the cursing a few times. Most everything was pretty basic, but as I had a real base model system, I was using the non HD connection, so the advertised display is not the same on my unit as shown on the website. The shown unit is if you have the unit with navigation, mouse, and backup camera in your current Lexus system.

So the challenges I had were as follows.

1) I get an OEM BT Invalid message on the AUX channel. This goes away when I press AUX again to get Android Sound, which is what I want. The OEM BT Invalid appears to be that when I go into the voice command to set up Bluetooth, it tell me I have no bluetooth connection and have max setup. So no entertainment modules present.
2) Backup camera did not work initially. As my backup camera goes to the rear view mirror, it bypassed the radio system, thus was not pulled into the new Android unit. The Android unit does have a RCA Camera connection, so I purchased a RCA cable, cut it the two wires, traced to a connection under the shift lever, spliced it into the two wires and then connected. Works fine. I have the backup display on both the rear view mirror and the android unit now.

3) Aux connection. The way it is setup out of the box, you have an AUX cable that needs to plug into the Aux connector which is located in the center console box. This would require a cable coming out of the glovebox area, and then into the box, which was not something I wanted. I pulled the center console out, found the AUX connection, it has five wires, that go to the multimedia unit on the rear of the console (back seat area), then go back to the radio. Found the two wires specifically to splice a 3.5mm plug and now the AUX is connected and all hidden away.

4) Microphone. Need to attach the microphone as the OEM one does not work in the Android system. Easy enough to attach, cable is marked. I ran the microphone to the steering wheel and connected using the provided clip right between the dash and steering column. Nice location, easy run. Works fine.

5) OBDII device. This was interesting. The provided cable doesn't seem to work with any app. So they provided also a Bluetooth Adapter. ELM327. The Android unit, does not support regular Bluetooth. It is purposely limited in function. So the OBDII device can only be attached to your phone, which you could then use via the Zlink software. Instead, I purchased a WIFE OBDII and now can run it with no issue while driving, provided I am not connecting via hotspot.

6) Bluetooth. Many Android head units have the Bluetooth functionality limited. They have an application for attaching your phone and setting features for connectivity. This is purposely done, So no complaints,

7) Satellite Radio. It still works, but does not show up on the Android at all. While I can see AM/FM stations, set favorites, see my CDs, nothing for Satellite. So I cannot see the station I am on. My work around was figuring out what station I was one, then saving the ones I want in memory and when I am listening, I just use them. If I want to know what song is playing, I can use the Sirius XM app, but it is pulling from my phone data, not the hardware in the Lexus.

8) The environment controls. When I adjust, they pop out from the right side of the screen. Looks like, nothing responds to touching. So use the existing controls. What is missing is the temperature indicators between LO and HI. Only LO and HI will show, Anything inbetween is blank.

9) GPS. Yes, it has a GPS antenna. I ran it to the front passenger side corner, using the A-Frame pillar to get the cable up enough. It is nice, out of the way and they provided an app to test the satellite strength. I have used it with both Google Maps (provided on the unit) and Waze. Both worked great, accuracy was excellent. The google maps appears to be loaded for the entire US, I will have to see what I can do with it, especially if I hot spot with my phone. I like the idea of using the built in GPS for navigation, and only using my data plan for address lookup.

There are two USB connectors for connecting Apple products or Android phones, with Zlink enable for either, so Carplay and Android Auto works. The connectors, I ran down the back of the radio to the lower pocket area where the accessory power is. I am cutting a hole for a dual USB port plug that will make those cables disappear and maintain a nice clean interior presence.

For a lot of the small issues, I had help from sale02@binarytek.cn using the Whatspp. ReynChan, was very quick in responding to my plethora of questions. If anyone is looking to do similar I know he would be just as helpful.

So overall, I am very happy with this installation. It took more work that I was initially expecting, but I learned a lot of about how the Lexus RX 350 is put together. As I had such a base model, the Android unit really gives this vehicle and updated feel and functionality. Now I get to start the fun part, finding applications and learning to use them for the best driving experience.
The following 4 users liked this post by scc1968:
carguy75 (02-04-24), Clutchless (02-05-24), Lukasteam (04-01-24), oshkalabah (06-17-24)
Old 02-05-24, 05:39 AM
Finalist0946
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd love to tackle this buy my concern is I get halfway in and hit too many unfixable issues and need to back out. Or worse, it malfunctions later and you have to tear apart the dash to troubleshoot.

But it does look nice and a cool update!
Old 02-05-24, 08:57 AM
scc1968
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Finalist0946
I'd love to tackle this buy my concern is I get halfway in and hit too many unfixable issues and need to back out. Or worse, it malfunctions later and you have to tear apart the dash to troubleshoot.

But it does look nice and a cool update!
Depending on your model and options, I don't think there are too many unfixable issues. Also this unit doesn't make any changes that you couldn't simply undo and go back to your original if if malfunctioned or failed later. I am retaining my original unit as a backup situation. I even made it so the couple adds I did in the wiring are nothing that can't be undone or just left disconnected if I went back to original.

Based on other's inputs I did a subscription to AllData.com for the manuals for the vehicle. The disassembly instructions and wiring diagrams on that site were a lifesaver and really made it possible for me to do all the work myself. I also went on Amazon and bought a few tools and parts.

Amazon Amazon
was the best investment. Though much of the trim, I could have used screwdrivers instead, this kit really saved from doing damage to the trim overall. A good 10mm socket kit.

Amazon Amazon

This screwdriver is what I use for all Asian products instead of a US Phillips. The JIS #2 (Japanese Industry Standard) is actually cut different from a standard Phillips head and fits the screws tighter. As I work with printers and computers, ever since I switched to JIS tools, I haven't stripped a screw in over 15 years. I even had a couple top 100 companies switch tools to these after observing the difference. The ball end is just nicer on my palm when working.

I used a few t-connectors for the wiring splice I needed. Tie wraps to clean up wiring paths. Bought some extenders for the Aux cable, but didn't need them.

Amazon Amazon

Bought this for the USB ports the Android uses. Bought with the three food cables, should have purchased the 1 foot as the cables are long enough already. I wish I could use an used feature location on the panel but the size is just not the same. So this I will be cutting a square hole next to the accessory power below the shift assembly.

Again, if you talk with the company at the time you purchase, the make the wiring harness marked off pretty basic. So the harness only has the connectors your need open.

It was fun to do the work, though it took me a while as I was figuring out how to do this, all the while it was raining and cold as anything.

Old 03-17-24, 02:06 PM
twei
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Thank you for your amazing write up! I'm just thinking about purchasing the exact same headunit. I'm wondering how you found the wiring diagram on alldata.com? It's not showing rx350 as an available model for me across 2010-2012.

Also, what's your experience with this model after a month's using it? Is it smooth or buggy?

Thanks!
Old 03-18-24, 08:15 AM
scc1968
5th Gear

Originally Posted by twei
Hi,

Thank you for your amazing write up! I'm just thinking about purchasing the exact same headunit. I'm wondering how you found the wiring diagram on alldata.com? It's not showing rx350 as an available model for me across 2010-2012.

Also, what's your experience with this model after a month's using it? Is it smooth or buggy?

Thanks!
The RX350 shows up at as a Truck under AllData. That might be confusion on finding your model. The wiring diagram itself is in parts and can be a bit difficult to navigate. I might be able to provide a bit of explanation of some of the locations I used to tap into. Overall, it is doing what I want. I can take a few pictures of how it now looks overall. I am looking to do a few videos of how final installation looks overall. The only issue I have currently is that the backup camera stopped broadcasting to the unit. I did find that data feed is still there, it is actually constant video, so a setting that identifies when to engage likely changed when I was experimenting with a few applications. I have not been able to find a password to get into any settings that allow correction. The other option is that there is a wire for the reverse indication that I was not using when I first tapped because it worked without using it, but now I might need to figure out an answer for that. I have been traveling for work, so it stopped being a priority to deal with at the moment. I did get into some of the settings, changed the screen to show a nice Lexus boot up. I like the navigation screens. I also like that I can use either Apply Car Play or Android Navigator. I also like that I can use Audible, either from my Ipad, my phone or even from installation on the unit itself. Lots of ability to customize to how I want.