RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2015 RX 350 drives like a german sports car

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-24, 02:17 PM
AlgoTrader
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SJCguy
I am a product manager and we design the product based on the user profile. The user for RX350 is not a 22 year old. It is 35+ with family. One of their main concern is comfort. Based on my previous ownership experience I always thought Lexus = Comfort. By making the suv drive like a cart they are alienating the traditional RX350 driver. What a mistake. I will never buy a lexus again.

I think I know why they made it hard - to increase the mpg of a heavy and a big car (as compared to the previous generation RX). Make the tire hard, make the struts hard so it won't bounce off, Those are the two things I can think off.
When I test drove SUV's before buying my 13RX350, I also drove an 16 RDX. I didn't drive the MDX as it was larger than I wanted. The RDX handled a little better and was a tiny bit quicker on acceleration. I still chose the RX, as I wasn't looking for a sports car (I already had a true sports car). I liked the RX better due to fit/finish/build quality, brand reputation, and it simply drove "smoother" than the RDX.

Since then,as I've gotten to learn the nuts and bolts of my RX, I've come to learn that a big part of the Lexus smoothness comes from huge amounts of NVH dampers attached to the drive train and exhaust. The RX features things like "acoustic glass" which is simply laminated glass, but in the side windows, not just the windshield like most cars, felt lined wheel wheels, and other tricks that Toyota/Lexus did to reduce NVH.

The low profile tires of the 3rd gen RX work against NVH (increasing it), so one trick would be to go to smaller wheels - 18" instead of 19", and higher profile tires. I don't think 17" are an option as the brake calipers need clearance. Generally, taller profile tires = smoother, quieter ride, but worse handling. The 18" wheels and low profile tires are a large reason why the 3rd gen handles better than earlier RX.

I see people complain about some repair their Toyota/Lexus needed or about the ride quality (didn't you test drive it first?) and they say: "I will never buy a Toyota/Lexus again". I've become more and more curious: What would you buy instead?

German SUV's are 1) Handle better (even sportier ride) than a Lexus and are 2) super unreliable and 3) super expensive to repair or even just maintain.
Domestic SUV's have 1) more recalls 2) bad reliability

I suppose an MDX is a potential contender.