RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Oil level after dealer oil change

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-24, 09:10 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 431 Likes on 345 Posts

Been checking oil levels weekly in vehicles since the mid-1970s. I prefer to do it first thing in the morning while the engine is cold. Some dipsticks are harder to read than others, especially if the dipstick tube is extremely narrow and the oil is fresh (which allows the oil to wick upwards on the inside surface of the tube more easily). This 0W-20 oil is indeed tough to read, especially when the oil is squeaky clean. Being able to read the oil level properly is a matter of learning how to do so given each vehicle's unique characteristics.
The following users liked this post:
nitroracer (07-26-24)
Old 07-23-24, 01:25 PM
salimshah

Received 1,098 Likes on 988 Posts

Originally Posted by RX in NC
Been checking oil levels weekly in vehicles since the mid-1970s. I prefer to do it first thing in the morning while the engine is cold. Some dipsticks are harder to read than others, especially if the dipstick tube is extremely narrow and the oil is fresh (which allows the oil to wick upwards on the inside surface of the tube more easily). This 0W-20 oil is indeed tough to read, especially when the oil is squeaky clean. Being able to read the oil level properly is a matter of learning how to do so given each vehicle's unique characteristics.
Excellent advice on checking weekly ... that is the way it was ... weekly or every time you stop for a full-tank-fillup.
Just sharing mine ...
I check for oil drips when I reverse out of parking and do a once a month actual dip stick check. Unlike many, I am not obsessed with having the level exactly at Max. There is a comfort level that there is a larger margin for oil leak, but my feeling is any external incident that affects the oil flow, will not be a slow one.

Salim
Old 07-26-24, 01:42 PM
nitroracer
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by khris
Rookie question, but is the oil overfilled to the point where I should be worried? 0w20 full synthetic on a 2010 RX350. The measurement is early morning before car had been driven and engine is cold. Sorry for the blurry

pic, phone had trouble focusing. Level marked with red line.
Lexus dipsticks are impossible to read.
Old 07-26-24, 01:44 PM
nitroracer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by khris
Went back to Lexus. They assured me level was corrected and all should be OK. Measured next day with similar results.

A) I am doing something wrong when checking.
B) They’re doing something wrong when adding.
C) They did not correct the level.

Lexus is about half an hour away, so I hate having to drive back and forth for something like this. Again, checked on cold engine. Second pull. Leveled ground.

I’ve tried driving and letting car sit per Lexus, but synthetic 0w20 is so thin. The moment I pull the dipstick it runs or hits the wall coming out. Can only get reading on cold engine.

Yes cold engine checks are the best IME. Obviously warm the car up (without driving, not very ideal and hard on the cat converter, but infrequent enough it shouldn't matter). Let cool down 5 minutes and check. The car sitting overnight should mitigate the false reads you get from oil splashing all over the long twisty metal dip stick housing...
Old 07-26-24, 01:47 PM
nitroracer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by salimshah
There are 3 possible next steps.

PS: Total speculation on my part is ... there is chance that the oil filter was not replaced. Tech just filled metered amount of , resulting in 1/2 of qt of excess oil.. Please do not accuse the service manager, but you can pose a question like ... how does the tech know how much to fill? Is the level checked repeatedly or they go by fixed amount? If you get a reply that they go by predetermined fixed amount then bring up casually that what happens when by accident the mechanic fails to replace oil filter.
These are all great questions. Though, good luck getting a straight answer. They'll just say whatever to get rid of you.

"Oh ya, we NEEEEEVER overfill!"
Old 07-26-24, 01:50 PM
nitroracer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Roscol
I think the problem here is the fact that oil is checked after sitting overnight.
After sitting so long, a properly filled engine will always show higher than expected.

User manual indicates (see photo below from owners manual) oil should be checked on warm engine, waiting 5 minutes after shutting off.

This makes perfect sense since no garage checks your engine after oil change the “next morning”.
plus most folks will check oil after filling up on gas since most gas stations are pretty level and have free paper towels, plus about 5 minutes pass after you fill with gas (works perfectly with the process as spelled out in the owners manual)

New, clean oil is very hard to see on the dipstick, I agree that’s true, what I usually do is check my dipstick after inserting it but not inserting it that last 1-2cm. , the plastic part that you need to push inside the oil dipstick I leave out. That way when I check the dipstick, I find it easier to see the oil line about 1-2 cm below the max level line.

Based on your photos, looks like it was properly filled and the dealership merely entertained your complaint as nicely as they could.
Sorry this is bad information, no offense. Manual states no such thing and it definitely does not say to leave the last 1-2 cm sticking out.

It literally just says "warm up car, wait 5 minutes, pull dipstick, wipe, reinsert, pull again, check". Checking in the morning is fine, so long as you follow the above algorithm. In fact this is the preferred method since you'll get less false reads from the dip stick tube being contaminated with oil from driving.

That's it. It's a frustrating experience to be sure.

Last edited by nitroracer; 07-26-24 at 01:56 PM.