RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX350 F sport front suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-24 | 06:19 AM
redcld
6th Gear

Default RX350 F sport front suspension?

I have a 2015 RX350 F Sport. The front struts are leaking, passenger more then driver. I was planning to change them both. The parts shop is asking if it has air or electronic suspension. Does anyone know the answer and how to tell?
Old 04-16-24 | 06:25 AM
MattRX
Racer

No air or adaptive suspension, just regular struts
The following users liked this post:
redcld (04-16-24)
Old 04-16-24 | 06:28 AM
redcld
6th Gear

Default Rx350 front suspension

So would that be electronic then? The parts store is saying air or electronic? They look like regular struts to me. Why electronic?
Old 04-16-24 | 06:32 AM
MattRX
Racer

Probably the F-Sport RX in Europe had them. The 16+ F-Sports have adaptive damper struts and shocks. I did the suspension on my 2014 F-Sport w/ Bilstein B6 shocks and it was just regular dampers. I’d get Bilstein B4 and Bilstein B6 for these if you can. Got them from 2010-2013 Highlander front, and 2014-2019 Highlander for rear shocks. If not, the KYBs are your next best bet.

When in doubt, I’d go under there and snap some pics.
Old 04-16-24 | 09:53 AM
Clutchless

Unless you are in Europe I doubt you have air suspension. I never heard of electronic suspension on the 3rd gen RX. Where do you live?

Are you planning to do this work yourself? If so, I wonder if you know what is involved and how hard it is to do based upon your basic question regarding identification of your struts.

Compressing the springs to swap out struts requires a spring compressor. You need many other tools to remove the bolts and tighten them properly. It is a dangerous job and one needs to know what they are doing. Also removing the replacing the struts and strut mounts in the correct orientation to have a proper alignment requires attention and skill. Have you done any of this before or are you having a shop do the work? If a shop, then let them figure out what you need and they can get it from their usual supplier as that is how most shops operate.
Old 04-17-24 | 04:36 AM
Abrar
Driver

Originally Posted by MattRX
Probably the F-Sport RX in Europe had them. The 16+ F-Sports have adaptive damper struts and shocks. I did the suspension on my 2014 F-Sport w/ Bilstein B6 shocks and it was just regular dampers. I’d get Bilstein B4 and Bilstein B6 for these if you can. Got them from 2010-2013 Highlander front, and 2014-2019 Highlander for rear shocks. If not, the KYBs are your next best bet.

When in doubt, I’d go under there and snap some pics.
hello Matt, you got b6 and b4 together in the same vehicle ?
Old 04-18-24 | 12:49 PM
MattRX
Racer

B6 front and B6 rear, I did not want to mix and match. It feels well-balanced and more comfortable than stock, and the valving stiffen up nicely under cornering. F-Sport stock crap was off the car before 130,000 KM on mine.
Old 04-18-24 | 01:10 PM
ConnorDamewood
2nd gear

Do the adaptive suspension models, whether air or electric/mag typically have a selector in the cabin for rides modes/terrain/etc that could give it away?

That could be another way to confirm. Love to see a 2015 staying on the road, they're such a great car to own. Best of luck!
redcld (04-28-24)
Old 04-25-24 | 05:52 AM
redcld
6th Gear

Default Electronic or air?

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Unless you are in Europe I doubt you have air suspension. I never heard of electronic suspension on the 3rd gen RX. Where do you live?

Are you planning to do this work yourself? If so, I wonder if you know what is involved and how hard it is to do based upon your basic question regarding identification of your struts.

Compressing the springs to swap out struts requires a spring compressor. You need many other tools to remove the bolts and tighten them properly. It is a dangerous job and one needs to know what they are doing. Also removing the replacing the struts and strut mounts in the correct orientation to have a proper alignment requires attention and skill. Have you done any of this before or are you having a shop do the work? If a shop, then let them figure out what you need and they can get it from their usual supplier as that is how most shops operate.
I am in Canada and plan on replacing the entire unit so no need for a spring compressor. They look like normal struts as I stated. What I don’t get is why the parts department is asking for either air or electronic. They can’t explain what is meant by electronic so that’s why I posted. Changing struts as a unit is a basic job. I just don’t get why they don’t ask for air or hydraulic, that would make sense. What the heck is electronic?
Old 04-25-24 | 03:33 PM
Clutchless

What parts store is this? A dealer?
If you are just getting Quick Struts there are only 2 known half decent supplier, KYB or Monroe and they do not make them for the F-Sport model. I doubt there are any quick struts for the F-Sport.

See this parts listing from Rock Auto as the parts numbers will be the same in Canada.
​​​​​​https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...assembly,15174

Just get what I have in front which are the Sach struts for the F- Sport then pay a shop to do the spring compressing and swap over. You can do the strut removal. Rock Auto has them in stock. They are great struts, about equal to the Bilsteins. https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...k+/+strut,7556

Here are the part numbers.

​​​​​​[Private Label Package] ($74.79)

SACHS 317642 Strut Info
Front Left; Base Model; F Sport
Choose
$74.79

Add to Cart SACHS 317643 Strut Info
Front Right; Base Model; F Sport
$93.79

Last edited by Clutchless; 04-25-24 at 03:37 PM.
redcld (04-25-24)
Old 04-25-24 | 04:12 PM
redcld
6th Gear

Default Struts

I believe these will fit. Am I incorrect?
Old 04-26-24 | 05:07 AM
Clutchless

If they fit, you would be placing a Base model suspension part on an F-Sport model and changing the ride and handling characteristics. Also the front struts will not match the rear shocks calibration. This is a mistake.
FYI these are not know to last more than a few years before failing.

I do not know if the picture you provided is or the units that fit the RX since you did not provide the part number for the Amazon listing or an active link to see the actual listing. The Rock Auto link I provided shows the part numbers for those struts which you can then cross check on Amazon.

I advised of the best option if you want to save money and do some of the work yourself. You remove the strut assembly and take it and the new strut to a local independent repair shop and have them swap it over. I have done this myself when the struts on my old Mazda would not fit my spring compressor. It did not cost much. Call around to local shops to find one that will do this work for you and shop prices too.

If you want to try and find the Bistein B6 struts, these are the part numbers.

​​​​​​The appropriate Bilstein B6 front left strut part number is 22-282873.

The appropriate Bilstein B6 front right strut part number is 22-282880.

Old 04-26-24 | 05:31 AM
redcld
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Clutchless
If they fit, you would be placing a Base model suspension part on an F-Sport model and changing the ride and handling characteristics. Also the front struts will not match the rear shocks calibration. This is a mistake.
FYI these are not know to last more than a few years before failing.

I do not know if the picture you provided is or the units that fit the RX since you did not provide the part number for the Amazon listing or an active link to see the actual listing. The Rock Auto link I provided shows the part numbers for those struts which you can then cross check on Amazon.

I advised of the best option if you want to save money and do some of the work yourself. You remove the strut assembly and take it and the new strut to a local independent repair shop and have them swap it over. I have done this myself when the struts on my old Mazda would not fit my spring compressor. It did not cost much. Call around to local shops to find one that will do this work for you and shop prices too.

If you want to try and find the Bistein B6 struts, these are the part numbers.

​​​​​​The appropriate Bilstein B6 front left strut part number is 22-282873.

The appropriate Bilstein B6 front right strut part number is 22-282880.
I appreciate your comments and I will look to see if either is available here in Canada. I will also double check the F sport fitment on the Monroe’s from the pic to find out if they fit an F sport. Part# 172766 and 765. Thanks again.
Old 04-28-24 | 02:25 PM
smknkeyz
Pit Crew

Just did the front struts in my F Sport with factory replacement f sport struts. There was no quick change assembly that I could find for the f sport suspension. Make sure you get replacement strut bearings as well. Mine were toast. Also, not sure where you live (salt, snow), but I knew the front sway bar links would be tough to remove, so I got new ones of those as well. Definitely helped with time and ease of the job. Spring compressor is needed, so be safe. Watch strut orientation when re-installing, it matters. Good luck!
The following 2 users liked this post by smknkeyz:
Clutchless (04-28-24), MattRX (04-28-24)