RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Remote Start

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-24, 09:15 AM
PJStam
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Remote Start

I have an 2015 RX450h and can't get the remote start from fob to work.
I've tried new batteries. When I go through the steps the lights flash 3x like it's going to start but doesn't.
Have the same result with both fobs.
Any suggestions? I live in a cold/hot climate--it would be a nice feature to have working.
PJStam
Old 04-29-24, 07:41 PM
salimshah

Received 1,046 Likes on 944 Posts

I don't think the key fob will start by 3pushes. It used to be a paid service through Lexus [Enform??]. Since I did not purchase it, I don't know much about it.

Then there are aftermarket remote starters [not a fan of those at all ... but then I am not in a cold country].

Salim
Old 04-30-24, 07:44 AM
ckerno
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Try 4 presses of the lock button for remote start

I bought a used 2013 RX450h last month and I also could not get the remote start to work. The mechanic at my local Lexus dealer was the one who knew how to use it. My 2013 takes 4 presses (not 3) of the lock button, holding on the fourth press, until the lights flash, then let go. Since it is a hybrid, the hybrid system starts almost silently, then a few seconds later I hear the engine start. Another tip, first try it very close to the car to see if it works, then start backing away from the car to test how far you can be and still have it work. Any cases on the key fob will reduce its range.

BTW, I did not even know the car had remote start when I purchased it from a Lincoln dealer. I figured that out after I bought it by going to www.lexus.com and entering the VIN to see all the Lexus service records. The very first record at 10 miles had the towing hitch and remote start installed. Apparently, the towing prep package was done at the factory, but the hitch is installed along with the remote start, I think, at the port. I too only found videos online showing 3 presses of the lock button, so I asked my local dealer. The service writers also tried 3 presses and did not know how to make it work. They mentioned something about the Lexus Enform and 3G cell service being discontinued...but I asked them to put remote start on the ticket and the mechanic knew how to make it work.

Lexus, if you are reading this, two suggestions. 1. When remote start is installed on one of your cars, require that the remote start warning label is installed in the engine compartment (maybe you do already and for some reason the label on my used car was removed, or never installed). That should be mandatory as a safely warning to anyone working on the engine. It would also be good for Lexus since cars with remote start are worth more to anyone selling or buying, higher resale value anyone! The warning label is one way for everyone to know remote start is installed. 2. Also, add an insert to the owner's manual on how to use remote start and stick it in with the owner's manuals packet. It should not be a mystery that remote start is installed and how to use it.

Last edited by ckerno; 04-30-24 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Add title
The following users liked this post:
salimshah (05-01-24)