RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Mass air flow sensor normal reading ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-24, 12:33 PM
Happboy
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Mass air flow sensor normal reading ?

Hello,
My 2010 RX 350 has trouble codes P0170 and P0174: the system is too lean in banks 1 and 2. The Long-term trim is +35% and the short-term trim is +15% at ide. The long-term trim is +30% and short-term trim is +5% at 2500 rpm. I also checked the reading of MAF sensor, it is 2 g/s at ide, and 6-7 at 2000 rpm. I am not sure if these values are normal or not. Because I don't know the normal reading of MAF sensor, I couldn't tell if the MAF sensor is bad or not. Does anyone know these specs?

Thanks!
Old 05-14-24, 05:01 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 422 Likes on 338 Posts

Given those two OBDII codes, I think it is more likely that you have a vacuum leak somewhere.
The following users liked this post:
Happboy (05-14-24)
Old 05-14-24, 07:17 AM
carguy75
Advanced

Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Happboy
Hello,
My 2010 RX 350 has trouble codes P0170 and P0174: the system is too lean in banks 1 and 2. The Long-term trim is +35% and the short-term trim is +15% at ide. The long-term trim is +30% and short-term trim is +5% at 2500 rpm. I also checked the reading of MAF sensor, it is 2 g/s at ide, and 6-7 at 2000 rpm. I am not sure if these values are normal or not. Because I don't know the normal reading of MAF sensor, I couldn't tell if the MAF sensor is bad or not. Does anyone know these specs?

Thanks!
I am not certain that you can test or confirm a MAF sensor reading while the engine is running. It just reads the airflow. The lean codes generally means that a leak has occurred that is allowing airflow to get past the MAF sensor(intake manifold gasket leak, vacuum hose leak,etc) that is causing a conflicting reading with the Air/fuel ratio sensors in the exhaust.

However, you can test your MAF with the engine not running with a Tech Stream or scan tool that can read/test the MAF sensor for a .53 g/s or less reading.

Happboy (05-14-24)
Old 05-14-24, 11:11 AM
Happboy
10th Gear

Thank you very much, Raleigh!
I am gonna do the water test to see if I could find the vacuum leak.
Old 05-14-24, 11:18 AM
Happboy
10th Gear

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by carguy75
I am not certain that you can test or confirm a MAF sensor reading while the engine is running. It just reads the airflow. The lean codes generally means that a leak has occurred that is allowing airflow to get past the MAF sensor(intake manifold gasket leak, vacuum hose leak,etc) that is causing a conflicting reading with the Air/fuel ratio sensors in the exhaust.

However, you can test your MAF with the engine not running with a Tech Stream or scan tool that can read/test the MAF sensor for a .53 g/s or less reading.
Thank you a lot for your sharing! I will test it right now! It surprises me that there are warm-hearted people here. Have a nice day!
carguy75 (05-14-24)
Old 05-14-24, 11:19 AM
salimshah

Received 1,075 Likes on 968 Posts

Thank you very much, Raleigh!
I am gonna do the water test to see if I could find the vacuum leak.
What is the water test to find vacuum leak.

Salim
Old 05-14-24, 11:25 AM
Happboy
10th Gear

Originally Posted by salimshah
What is the water test to find vacuum leak.

Salim
I saw some videos on YouTube. Some people just spray some water onto the intake manifold and some pipe connections. If there's a leak, the engine will shake a little bit.
Old 05-14-24, 12:09 PM
Happboy
10th Gear

Thank you a lot for your sharing! I will test it right now! It surprises me that there are warm-hearted people here. Have a nice day!
Just tested it, the value of MAF sensor in my car is 0.39 g/sec. It seems to be normal.
carguy75 (05-15-24)
Old 05-14-24, 02:11 PM
salimshah

I saw some videos on YouTube. Some people just spray some water onto the intake manifold and some pipe connections. If there's a leak, the engine will shake a little bit.
Please do not reach out or perform tests that you come across on the net.

There is so much information on the wild wild net and regrettably there is no way to filter out the chaff from real.

The proper way to test for vacuum leak is "smoke test" with a smoke generating machine. Please look that up. There are other hacks like propane and starting fluid [they need to be done with care].

The only water and intake test is a hack to clean cylinder heads, but then again it can damage lot more as water in the intake adds incompressible fluid in a closed combustion chamber.

Combustion due to emission control is a closed loop system. It can be hard to diagnose as the system keeps adjusting itself and the error messages can be due to the shift by a problem in a far related component of the loop.

Salim
The following 2 users liked this post by salimshah:
carguy75 (05-15-24), Happboy (05-15-24)
Old 05-15-24, 10:50 AM
Happboy
10th Gear

Thumbs up

Please do not reach out or perform tests that you come across on the net.

There is so much information on the wild wild net and regrettably there is no way to filter out the chaff from real.

The proper way to test for vacuum leak is "smoke test" with a smoke generating machine. Please look that up. There are other hacks like propane and starting fluid [they need to be done with care].

The only water and intake test is a hack to clean cylinder heads, but then again it can damage lot more as water in the intake adds incompressible fluid in a closed combustion chamber.

Combustion due to emission control is a closed loop system. It can be hard to diagnose as the system keeps adjusting itself and the error messages can be due to the shift by a problem in a far related component of the loop.

Salim
Thanks, Salim for your valuable suggestions! You are so thoughtful. I will try to DIY a smoke machine to do the smoke test, probably on weekends.
Old 05-15-24, 03:34 PM
salimshah

Thanks, Salim for your valuable suggestions! You are so thoughtful. I will try to DIY a smoke machine to do the smoke test, probably on weekends.
Some one in first gen RX posted that they had PepBoys conduct the smoke test. The identified the leaks but were not able to fix as they could not find proper part.

Salim
Old 05-15-24, 06:05 PM
Happboy
10th Gear

Some one in first gen RX posted that they had PepBoys conduct the smoke test. The identified the leaks but were not able to fix as they could not find proper part.

Salim
Thanks for the information! I am a DIY guy and enjoy repairing cars and saving money, although I am not good at it now. I bought this 2010 RX 350 with 140K miles on it from my friend, for $5500. One issue is P0170 and P0174, and another one is suspension noises from the rear passenger side when over bumps.
Old 05-16-24, 04:20 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,175 Likes on 1,003 Posts

The noise in the rear may be from worn rear trailing arm bushings as that is a known wear item. The rear trailing arm may need to be replaced. First get it diagnosed properly before throwing parts at it. Make sure the rear shocks are not leaking, that their bushings are intact and that the rear sway bar links are intact.

I used Mevotech rear trailing arms from Rock Auto.
It is a difficult job to do at home with floor jacks and lots of tools and I have all those, and years of doing my own car repair experience including suspension work. The angles to get at the bolts are best done with it on a lift. Any local independent shop can do this job if it is needed.

See these threads
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...on-squeek.html

​​​​​​https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...low-bumps.html

​​​​​​https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...end-noise.html

​​​​​​https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...n-threado.html

Last edited by Clutchless; 05-16-24 at 04:24 AM.
Old 05-16-24, 10:26 AM
gpb127
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Your rear suspension noise may be a broken exhaust heat shield in the right rear area. Mine broke loose on one end and I epoxied it back on. no problems since then.
Just a thought.
Old 05-16-24, 03:21 PM
Happboy
10th Gear

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Clutchless
The noise in the rear may be from worn rear trailing arm bushings as that is a known wear item. The rear trailing arm may need to be replaced. First get it diagnosed properly before throwing parts at it. Make sure the rear shocks are not leaking, that their bushings are intact and that the rear sway bar links are intact.

I used Mevotech rear trailing arms from Rock Auto.
It is a difficult job to do at home with floor jacks and lots of tools and I have all those, and years of doing my own car repair experience including suspension work. The angles to get at the bolts are best done with it on a lift. Any local independent shop can do this job if it is needed.

See these threads
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...on-squeek.html

​​​​​​https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...low-bumps.html

​​​​​​https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...end-noise.html

​​​​​​https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...n-threado.html
Originally Posted by gpb127
Your rear suspension noise may be a broken exhaust heat shield in the right rear area. Mine broke loose on one end and I epoxied it back on. no problems since then.
Just a thought.
Thank you both for your thoughts! Actually, I have already checked a little bit but didn't find anywhere loose or broken. It seems that checking for noises needs much experience.

Quick Reply: Mass air flow sensor normal reading ?