RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-24, 04:31 PM
lexusguy2001
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pads

Is Akebono the OEM for 2013 rx350 break pads? I've read you should buy OEM, so I purchased Centric premium rotors. I'm looking for a high quality break pad with low dust and ultra quiet. I read some amazon reviews that the Akebono pads are noisy. Any recommendation on a quality break pad? Please advise. Thanks!

Last edited by lexusguy2001; 07-12-24 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-12-24, 05:32 PM
carguy75
Advanced

Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

I installed Power Stop Z23 sport pads and coated rotors on my 2015 RX350 AWD. The brakes stops well and is noise free. My vote goes to Power Stop Z23 pads.
Old 07-13-24, 04:46 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 422 Likes on 338 Posts

Been running the appropriate Wagner ThermoQuiet brake pads on all of our vehicles for nearly 15 years now. Good bite, silent as a tomb, low dust, long-lasting, and very affordable. Usually order them from rockauto.com.
Old 07-13-24, 10:36 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 190 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusguy2001
Is Akebono the OEM for 2013 rx350 break pads? I've read you should buy OEM, so I purchased Centric premium rotors. I'm looking for a high quality break pad with low dust and ultra quiet. I read some amazon reviews that the Akebono pads are noisy. Any recommendation on a quality break pad? Please advise. Thanks!
Akebono pads are not noisy at all. Been using them for years. Not sure where you heard that.
The following users liked this post:
carguy75 (07-13-24)
Old 07-13-24, 11:37 AM
GoBose
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Lexus OEM Rotors are the way to go.

Often, they are cheaper or within a few bucks of the premium rotors.

Brake pads, IDK, rotors matter far more.

I'll just Toyota OEM.

Make sure you know the exact grease points to avoid squeaks.

TIS directions on Brake Pad/Rotor install is worth the $5-$10 bucks.

Old 07-13-24, 04:42 PM
carguy75
Advanced

Originally Posted by GoBose
Lexus OEM Rotors are the way to go.

Often, they are cheaper or within a few bucks of the premium rotors.

Brake pads, IDK, rotors matter far more.

I'll just Toyota OEM.

Make sure you know the exact grease points to avoid squeaks.

TIS directions on Brake Pad/Rotor install is worth the $5-$10 bucks.
LOL. Rotors are the most basic part of the braking system. If the rotors are not defective then they would work just fine. The only aspect of the rotor I would be concerned with would be a coated one to prevent rust.

The brake pad choice is more important than the brake rotor in terms of noise and braking performance.
Old 07-13-24, 04:47 PM
carguy75
Advanced

Originally Posted by iolmaster
Akebono pads are not noisy at all. Been using them for years. Not sure where you heard that.
I agree. I have also used Akebono ceramic pads for years on my old cars/SUV and they were quiet. Sometimes people on the internet do not properly install brake pads and the give the product negative reviews.

I just moved on from Akebono to the better performing Power Stop or even Hawk sport brake pads.

Last edited by carguy75; 07-18-24 at 11:39 PM.
Old 07-15-24, 03:44 PM
intermec
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I used Akebono in the past for different cars and had no issue with noise. Often time when people complain about noise, it is more like some one forgot to use the proper hardware (clips, threw away pad shims)

As far as pad goes, I use Lexus/Toyota parts. IMO, Lexus/Toyota brake is soft compares to my other cars (Ford, Honda, Subaru...)

Old 07-18-24, 12:10 PM
uncle
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I have been using Akebono pads on my cars for many years. Low/no Dust, quiet, good rotor life, high mileage. Also, their hardware kits are first rate.
Old 07-19-24, 10:24 PM
JLSC
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've used Akebono with OEM rotors, and there were no issues with noise or performance. I like trying different products though, and currently have Bosch QuietCast pads and rotors. They produce a bit less dust than the Akebono and they're definitely quiet. Braking performance seems to be about the same. Might try the Wagner ThermoQuiet next.
The following users liked this post:
carguy75 (07-20-24)
Old 07-20-24, 07:26 AM
carguy75
Advanced

Originally Posted by JLSC
I've used Akebono with OEM rotors, and there were no issues with noise or performance. I like trying different products though, and currently have Bosch QuietCast pads and rotors. They produce a bit less dust than the Akebono and they're definitely quiet. Braking performance seems to be about the same. Might try the Wagner ThermoQuiet next.
I forgot about the Wagner ThermoQuiet pads. I used them on a couple of cars years ago with much success. I believe that they had a built-in shim design that works well without needing any grease added to the pads to run quiet.

Last edited by carguy75; 07-20-24 at 09:43 PM.
Old 07-21-24, 11:47 AM
GoBose
Driver

Originally Posted by carguy75
LOL. Rotors are the most basic part of the braking system. If the rotors are not defective then they would work just fine. The only aspect of the rotor I would be concerned with would be a coated one to prevent rust.

The brake pad choice is more important than the brake rotor in terms of noise and braking performance.
LOL. How do you KNOW when your rotors are functioning just fine? No pedal pulsation? That's the only measure? Not even close.

Brake Pads are 90% Marketing Hype. Matching your OEM rotors to your OEM pads is the only correct option.

Going aftermarket, you're on your own in properly matching components.

Best to replace OEM rotos at every other OEM brake pad change.

You've just optimized your braking system.

Old 07-21-24, 07:54 PM
carguy75
Advanced

Originally Posted by GoBose
LOL. How do you KNOW when your rotors are functioning just fine? No pedal pulsation? That's the only measure? Not even close.

Brake Pads are 90% Marketing Hype. Matching your OEM rotors to your OEM pads is the only correct option.

Going aftermarket, you're on your own in properly matching components.

Best to replace OEM rotos at every other OEM brake pad change.

You've just optimized your braking system.
I have to call BS to your statement. Rotors are just friction surfaces that brake pads apply friction to. If the rotors are not pulsating while the car stops then they are doing the job without any warping or embedded deposits that will cause vibration.

Properly manufactured aftermarket brake components (pads, rotors, calipers)will work just fine on a RX350 just like any other car. I use Power Stop rotors and Power Stop pads on my 2015 RX350 AWD and the RX350 stops very well and is quiet. In my opinion the Power Stop setup stops my RX350 better than the OEM setup.

However, I do agree that new rotors(OEM or aftermarket) should be used when changing out worn out pads.

You seem like you need to review these videos of how a braking system works. Rotors are very simple parts of the braking system; important but simple. Pad formulation is what provides the braking performance and noise/dust levels.

Last edited by carguy75; 07-21-24 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-22-24, 11:11 AM
GoBose
Driver

[QUOTE=carguy75;11759601]I have to call BS to your statement. Rotors are just friction surfaces that brake pads apply friction to. If the rotors are not pulsating while the car stops then they are doing the job without any warping or embedded deposits that will cause vibration.

Properly manufactured aftermarket brake components (pads, rotors, calipers)will work just fine on a RX350 just like any other car. I use Power Stop rotors and Power Stop pads on my 2015 RX350 AWD and the RX350 stops very well and is quiet. In my opinion the Power Stop setup stops my RX350 better than the OEM setup.

However, I do agree that new rotors(OEM or aftermarket) should be used when changing out worn out pads.

You seem like you need to review these videos of how a braking system works. Rotors are very simple parts of the braking system; important but simple. Pad formulation is what provides the braking performance and noise/dust levels.

It's in the CASTING that determines quality levels. They're a lot more difficult to mfg'r than you realize. Huge variations in quality castings

Old 07-22-24, 11:25 PM
carguy75
Advanced

Hence my statement about using quality made aftermarket rotors. You are aware that aftermarket companies such as Akebono and Centric make OEM brake parts like the rotors for Toyota and other automakers. Toyota do not make the OEM brake rotors(or any brake parts) at the factory.

Last edited by carguy75; 07-23-24 at 06:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Brake pads