RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Tire Pressure Monitors (TPMS) Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-24 | 07:14 PM
KarKid
6th Gear

Post Tire Pressure Monitors (TPMS) Replacement

I have a 2015 Lexus RX350. I have been shopping for new tires and the tire quote from Sam's Club included four new tire pressure monitors at $2.98 (not a typo) each. One of the existing OEM tire pressure monitors started failing a couple of months ago, but the battery must have found some new life and now the TPMS monitors are all working fine. Should I let Sam's Club replace all the monitors with the really cheap monitors, or should I try to source new OEM monitors and have Sam's install them (I assume they would). My local Lexus dealer wanted about $400 to track down and replace the one monitor that was going bad. The service department at my Lexus dealer recommended against using non-OEM tire pressure sensors, but I guess that were just trying to up sell me. Also, can anyone recommend a good source where I can buy the OEM sensors? Thanks!
Old 09-03-24 | 07:44 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Best to buy these aftermarket TPMS kits with a handset and 8 programmable sensors.
Autel MaxiTPMS TS508WF KIT TPMS Tool Upgrade of TS508K WIFI TPMS Programming | eBay

Why is explained below:
2015 single tire pressure warning light goes on? - Page 2 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion
Old 09-03-24 | 07:44 PM
Nevada
Driver

$2.98 sounds like the fee to replace the stem seal on a tire pressure sensor.
Old 09-04-24 | 05:46 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Nevada
I was thinking the same thing. This should be done at every tire replacement. Some places roll it into the installation fee, some charge for it separately, but it's very cheap.

Peteharvey's suggestion is a good one, particularly if you're a car person. I am, but for the spare set I bought a few years ago, I just got them from tpms.com, preprogrammed for my car (I got Huf Intellisense instead of OEM), and they worked perfectly. It's a little tricky for the 2015 RX specifically, because it looks like they did a mid-year change. So you'll need to know the part number of your current sensors.

Last edited by geko29; 09-04-24 at 05:50 AM.
Old 09-04-24 | 01:46 PM
lexo98
Pole Position

$3 is for the service kit. Reusing your old sensor.
Old 09-05-24 | 07:47 AM
KarKid
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Nevada
You were correct Thanks!
Old 09-05-24 | 07:51 AM
KarKid
6th Gear

Originally Posted by lexo98
$3 is for the service kit. Reusing your old sensor.
Thanks. Sam's Club verified that when I circled back to them. Would you even worry about replacing the tire pressure sensors on a nine year old Lexus if they are all working?
Old 09-05-24 | 08:26 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by KarKid
Thanks. Sam's Club verified that when I circled back to them. Would you even worry about replacing the tire pressure sensors on a nine year old Lexus if they are all working?
The sensor is not the problem, but the battery is. Expected life is about 8years. To replace the battery+sensor combo, you have to dismount the tire. So the labor charge quickly builds up.

If I were to replace a tire due to wear or puncture, I would preemptively replace the sensor+battery. On the other hand, I would stretch it out if my tire replacement is couple of months away. [it is annoying to see the light on, when the pressure is good].

Salim
Old 09-05-24 | 08:28 AM
RX10
Driver

If it were me in your position, I would absolutely change all 4 sensors while having new tires put on. Those TPMS batteries are near the end of their life. If Sam’s can do all four sensors for around $250, I suggest getting it done. One stop shop, peace of mind.
Old 09-05-24 | 08:41 AM
KarKid
6th Gear

Thanks for the reply. One more question, if you don't mind. Should I just go ahead and have Sam's Club replace all the old nine-year-old sensors if I buy new tires from them? I think they said they charge $25-38 per sensor. I assume the sensors they use are okay? They said they will not install Lexus OEM sensors if I provide them.
Old 09-05-24 | 08:47 AM
RX10
Driver

Thanks for the reply. One more question, if you don't mind. Should I just go ahead and have Sam's Club replace all the old nine-year-old sensors if I buy new tires from them? I think they said they charge $25-38 per sensor. I assume the sensors they use are okay? They said they will not install Lexus OEM sensors if I provide them.
Yes, replace all four sensors at the same time. $25-38 per sensor is a good price. Maybe find out what brand sensors they use. I had mine replaced at Costco and they use Dill which, is a fairly good yet common generic brand from what I understand. There is another generic brand that is also commonly used but I can’t think of the name.
Old 09-05-24 | 04:09 PM
cookie4u
Rookie

2015? If you can't replace and program your own, I'd just replace the TPMS sensors with the tires. At 9 years old, the batteries are going to go soon. You will be happier if you just spent the money and replaced them now. Otherwise, you WILL end up replacing them soon and paying for remounting and balancing.
The following users liked this post:
USMCYoda (10-04-24)
Old 09-05-24 | 04:32 PM
salimshah

I would ask for how long a warranty they provide. If and when they go bad they just give out false or no information. I would feel very comfortable in using non-eom but compatible reputable product as long as the installer gives me a good warranty.

Salim
Old 09-05-24 | 04:37 PM
cookie4u
Rookie

Originally Posted by salimshah
I would ask for how long a warranty they provide. If and when they go bad they just give out false or no information. I would feel very comfortable in using non-eom but compatible reputable product as long as the installer gives me a good warranty.

Salim
I’d use Denso and nothing else.
Old 09-05-24 | 04:54 PM
RX10
Driver

Originally Posted by cookie4u
I’d use Denso and nothing else.
Denso. That’s the other brand I couldn’t recall. I believe Dill and Denso are the two most common non-OEM brands used when TPMS sensors are replaced.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Monitors (TPMS) Replacement