RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX in 2010? Worth the Wait?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-08, 12:12 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wondering if the new and improved RX will feature a direct injection type of fuel system, similar to the IS, to get the added power out of the V6. Also, will the 3.5 then require premium fuel (like the current IS does). I'm all for the keyless entry and ignition, love the one on our IS.
Old 05-27-08, 12:56 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

My guess is that they will go to the direct injection 3.5 V6 as in the IS350 and the GS350 since they are using that 6 speed transmission in the 2010 RX.
Old 05-27-08, 01:24 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I still don't know what the big deal about the 3rd roll is if designed well. Sure, it may not be functional for some, but for others it is functional. If you are not one to use it just keep it folded up flat. The floor on the current RX already has a lot of space under it for storage and such. Might loose a little bit of hidden storage, but I think a 3rd roll is a good option to have even if occasionally.

We traveled in my cousins MDX with a 3rd roll fold away seat. That SUV simple could carry more occupants than our RX330 could. It just wouldn't have been possible in our RX330.
Old 05-27-08, 01:55 PM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

the problem is length with the 3rd row. if they keep the size relatively the same, then that 3rd row would be useless unless you have children with no legs. if they make it longer, then it will no longer be the smallish CUV type that so many buyers like in the RX
Old 05-27-08, 02:29 PM
Amac
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
My guess is that they will go to the direct injection 3.5 V6 as in the IS350 and the GS350 since they are using that 6 speed transmission in the 2010 RX.
I beleive the engine used in the current RX is the 2GR-FE, that engine is based on the FWD transverse engine platform that the Camry and others are based on.

The IS 350 uses the 2GR-FSE, an engine used for RWD-driveshaft based platforms.

The IS/RX transmissions are also different, they both have 6 speeds, but a totally different set of gear ratios and drivetrain setup.

The new RX does seem to have more power though, but Toyota wont let us know any engine specifications until the official unveiling.
Old 05-27-08, 04:12 PM
btwanky
Lead Lap

I dont believe no touch screen.. the RX (being 5 model years old) still is #1 in statisfaction for interior quality.. i doubt they would decide to make dramatic changes like that.. not too mention no other lexus vehical uses that (that i know of).. so i highly doubt it
Old 05-27-08, 04:28 PM
Amac
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by btwanky
I dont believe no touch screen.. the RX (being 5 model years old) still is #1 in statisfaction for interior quality.. i doubt they would decide to make dramatic changes like that.. not too mention no other lexus vehical uses that (that i know of).. so i highly doubt it
There is no doubt, there is no touch screen. The screen is pushed so far up and away into the dashboard it is not reachable anymore. I am not basing this on my opinion, or speculation. I have been working in and around the new model, and can tell you 100% it is gone.I find the touchscreen on the current generation good, but it is much more comfortable for smaller drivers to operate via a console control than reaching towards the screen. Many Lexus RX drivers are women and Toyota listens to them(thats what the engineers tell us any way.)
Old 05-27-08, 04:51 PM
Amac
Driver School Candidate

The control on the new S class Mercedes is the closest thing I can find on the internet that resembles the new RX navigation system. I dont know how this Mercedes system works, but looks to have the same sort of joystick-mouse control. The New RX navigation screen also has a large hood over it.
Old 05-27-08, 05:55 PM
RXSF

oh geezus. lol. it wont be uniquely lexus. i dare they succumb to the pressures of being buttonless.

o well. i hope it works well, im sure it does. however, new Merc models have more like a rotating dial to choose options on the screen. your describing it as a joystick and when i hear joystick...i picture game systems that have joysticks on the controller.

i assume this will be a harddrive nav with a few GBs of space for music recording. and also, i guess it will have an entirely new graphical user interface....the future looks interesting

i wonder why they didnt implement this new structure in the LS last year...i assume all the newer models will be like this?
Old 05-27-08, 07:54 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Amac
The control on the new S class Mercedes is the closest thing I can find on the internet that resembles the new RX navigation system. I dont know how this Mercedes system works, but looks to have the same sort of joystick-mouse control. The New RX navigation screen also has a large hood over it.
The Mercedes COMAND system is a **** design just like I-Drive and Audi's MMI system. I tested the latest gen version out on the C-Class, it's better than I-Drive but still it's a ****-based system.

I really hope that Lexus makes a better effort with the RX...because IMO the touchscreen ease-of-use is hard to beat. For years I have stated my preference for Lexus touchscreens--and it fits with Lexus' tradition of providing an intuitive environment. Engineers even donned fake fingernail tips to simulate button-pressing by female drivers. Part of the reason why the RX was so popular with female drivers is because of the sliding center console/purse holder, and the ease of loading, flexibility, space. I hope they keep that with the new model.

More than ever, the RX is the representative vehicle of Lexus on sheer numbers alone. With the next generation, I hope they continue to have a class-leading design. However, I understand the need to play it safe and not go too far from what has made the previous generations successful. I hope for a balance of improvement and carry-over functionality. IMO the decision to keep the 5-seat layout makes sense, especially if a larger crossover (JX?) is produced to slot above the RX.

Back to the touchscreen vs. ****....I think the reason why such a system was not introduced in the new LS and LX is because of their dash layout--being bigger but with taller, upright dashboards, the LX especially. The touchscreen is still good there. I hope Lexus will not go the Acura route--dropping touchscreens for ***** across the range--something I have criticized them for. It may or may not be true, but I feel it cheapens the car. Infiniti does both--touchscreen and ****. Perhaps if the RX 'joystick' is successful it will trickle over to the other vehicles, which may keep both touchscreen and 'joystick.'

Sitting in the RX, I can see if the screen is pushed forward, and larger--how that would make sense to have an input system elsewhere. The earlier 'touchpad' idea sounds closest to the previous generations' ease of use but may be difficult to do without looking down. So a 'joystick' -- but it is anything different from a glorified ****? We'll see.

Anyhow, looking forward to it...btw, I saw the Cambridge factory video at Taste of Lexus...great job you guys are doing there, keep it up.
Old 05-27-08, 08:57 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Unhappy Why the hate?

Honestly, I don't see why the hate for a 3rd row? In most SUVs, the third row is useless for adults on long trips but are good for 5 on long trips. I wouldn't mind having a 3rd row that's "useless" for adults, but would be useful for children and adults mixed. I have three kids (ages 1 to 5) and I would like the third row for those times when I need to run somewhere and I have two extra passengers (ie. parents) along. I can throw the two adults and older child in middle, and the two younger ones in 3rd row with the child seats.

Right now with my RX, I either have to rent a minivan, or I take two cars. I'd rather not do either, but I have to because I don't have the third row that I can use some times.
Old 05-27-08, 10:03 PM
RXSF

lexus doesnt want a "minivan" image with the RX. its as simple as that. most families in the demographic have two adults, two children. the "idealized" version of the family, where its one boy and one girl. thats who they are shooting for.

what will be interesting about the joystick is that like the other cars with this type of system, the hand is easily placed on the handrest where the **** is easily held. but on the RX, it has a high seating position. and if you have ever been in either the current or past gen RX, you will know that your arm does not reach down to the cupholder area. it fact, the seats have built in armrests...so i dont really know how they are goign to implement the joystick location wise. will everything be raised up? will the seating position be lowered? weird...

Last edited by RXSF; 05-28-08 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-28-08, 02:07 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Having just rode in my friend's 08 MDX, I have seen the light on having a 3rd row. It proves to be quite convenient and when not needed, can be stowed away in the MDX.

I hope Lexus takes a hint and does something similar. I'd imagine that with the cost of fuel going up, people will look more to the vehicles that can accommodate more people "just in case". I know I would and have already checked out prices of the MDX on eBay to see how it compares to used prices of a 400h.

As far as the joystick thing - I'm sure Lexus won't go backwards in their development of something intuitive. I trust they'll do a good job.

To Amac, thanks for pointing out the vin codes and how to spot a Japanese made RX vs an American one.

c.
Old 05-28-08, 07:02 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

With other manufacturers creating smaller luxury SUV/CUV, such as the BMW X3 and the Acura RDX, I see Lexus doing the same thing. It is one part of the market they currently have no product which is odd for them. And with the need to meet the new CAFE standards I can see the RX going up in size, the GX being dropped, as will happen to many truck based SUVs, and a new cute ute coming in below the RX possibly using the 2.5L out of the IS and/or the Highlander's hybrid package. Might be neat to see a small SUV in a RWD package.
Old 05-28-08, 07:28 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Amac
I beleive the engine used in the current RX is the 2GR-FE, that engine is based on the FWD transverse engine platform that the Camry and others are based on.

The IS 350 uses the 2GR-FSE, an engine used for RWD-driveshaft based platforms.

The IS/RX transmissions are also different, they both have 6 speeds, but a totally different set of gear ratios and drivetrain setup.

The new RX does seem to have more power though, but Toyota wont let us know any engine specifications until the official unveiling.
Thats a bummer, I guess Lexus is reserving their direct injection engines exclusively for their sport sedans. I am going to have to check out that new joystick system at my dealer when it comes out.

Quick Reply: RX in 2010? Worth the Wait?