RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX in 2010? Worth the Wait?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-08, 02:12 PM
Amac
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Thats a bummer, I guess Lexus is reserving their direct injection engines exclusively for their sport sedans. I am going to have to check out that new joystick system at my dealer when it comes out.
Most of us are convinced that the horsepower has been increased, based on driving it. I don't know if they are going direct injection or not since we don't build the engines here. It does look like the same engine that is in the current RX, but im sure adding direct injection doesnt change much to its pysical appearance.

I also hope the power is increased more towards 300hp.
Old 05-28-08, 03:07 PM
sportsfan8
Pole Position

How about making a hybrid RX that actually has "hybrid-like" MPG numbers?
Old 05-28-08, 10:39 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by sportsfan8
How about making a hybrid RX that actually has "hybrid-like" MPG numbers?
The current RX400h actually gets very "hybrid like" mpg. It is about 10 mpg better than the Rx350 in town where the hybrid system is most effective and about 3 mpg better on the highway where it has less effect. Overall, it gets something like 6 mpg better than the RX350 while maintaining slightly better overall acceleration. I think this is a pretty significant improvement not counting the much lower overall carbon footprint.
Steve
Old 05-29-08, 10:30 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Amac
Most of us are convinced that the horsepower has been increased, based on driving it. I don't know if they are going direct injection or not since we don't build the engines here. It does look like the same engine that is in the current RX, but im sure adding direct injection doesnt change much to its pysical appearance.

If you can feel a horse power increase by driving it, it would have to be a direct injection engine in the 305 HP range. Which kind of make sense since they stiffen up the suspension to handle that power. If it is a updated Highlander engine, it would only put out maybe 275 HP on super unleaded. I dont think one can notice 5 HP gain.
Old 05-29-08, 10:35 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

it has to have more than 275, i think lexus knows that. the last thing we really need is more horsepower and better gas mileage, but the EX and FX, and MDX all blow this car away. lol. i think it will have 290ish. i doubt it will break 300 since they arent really selling this car as a sports SUV in any ways.

chances are, the hybrid variant will have the new 3.5 liter at 270 horses and then added with the electric motor to get 300 plus. I think lexus wants all its hybrid cars to have more power than its regular models.

Last edited by RXSF; 05-29-08 at 01:16 PM.
Old 05-29-08, 12:53 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Thats the point I trying to make, if they use the highlander engine, retune it to run on premium, then it will be around 275 HP. They cannot get 290 HP out of the highlander engine. The next step up is the direct injection 3.5 Liter V6, which is rated at about 305 HP.
Old 05-30-08, 06:47 AM
njcarlover
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, Amac. Your information and insight is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-30-08, 09:17 AM
sportsfan8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by oldcajun
The current RX400h actually gets very "hybrid like" mpg. It is about 10 mpg better than the Rx350 in town where the hybrid system is most effective and about 3 mpg better on the highway where it has less effect. Overall, it gets something like 6 mpg better than the RX350 while maintaining slightly better overall acceleration. I think this is a pretty significant improvement not counting the much lower overall carbon footprint.
Steve
Someday, I hope to see SUVs having "Prius-like" numbers in the 40 MPG range.
Old 05-30-08, 11:01 AM
Jimkerry
Driver School Candidate

Thats the point I trying to make, if they use the highlander engine, retune it to run on premium, then it will be around 275 HP. They cannot get 290 HP out of the highlander engine. The next step up is the direct injection 3.5 Liter V6, which is rated at about 305 HP.
Actually minor modifications to the intake and exhaust would easily yield 15HP, even by Toyota factory engineers for a production vehicle. Having said that, my money is on something along the lines of 300+HP with direct injection to differentiate the Lexus version and help justify the price delta.

Jimbo
Old 05-30-08, 11:47 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sportsfan8
Someday, I hope to see SUVs having "Prius-like" numbers in the 40 MPG range.
someday I want a plug-in SUV
Old 05-30-08, 12:01 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Amac

Did you hear the Direct Injection ticking noise from the engine? That might give you an idea if they went DI or not. I'm actually surprised if they do put 300 HP on a FWD SUV. I know you have the AWD option, but majority are FWD and that is a lot of HP to the front wheels on a high CG SUV. Even on regular sporty cars like the TL-S 280HP is already pushing the limits of FWD. Hard to imagine how that will work on a FWD SUV.

Did you happen to catch the engine name on the plastic cover? That will also tell what engine its using.
Old 05-30-08, 12:04 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you can feel a horse power increase by driving it, it would have to be a direct injection engine in the 305 HP range. Which kind of make sense since they stiffen up the suspension to handle that power. If it is a updated Highlander engine, it would only put out maybe 275 HP on super unleaded. I dont think one can notice 5 HP gain.
I think it is possible to feel a difference of a few HP depending on the torque curve. I have my doubts about a 300HP FWD SUV, so I still think its not the DI engine but a tweaked Highlander version engine. But I guess we'll all see soon enough.
Old 05-30-08, 02:33 PM
Amac
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Did you hear the Direct Injection ticking noise from the engine? That might give you an idea if they went DI or not.
No. I don't remember any specific ticking noise that stood out. Our vehicle; that was given to our team at the factory has been stripped down to an almost bare chassis, so we cannot drive it again. The engine felt more responsive when we did test it out a few weeks ago, that could have been a result of the new 6-speed transmission and/or a power upgrade. We have a small test track located at the factory, its too short to really test it properly.
Compared to the previous models, it does feel quicker but still retains the Lexus soundproof smooth ride.

As for the question about the plastic cover on the engine, it was absent, as were any codes or serial numbers denoting what engine it was.

The photo's and representations of the new RX that are floating around the internet dont look anything like the production model and weren't shot at our manufacturing facility. As far as we were told, there are only 5 production models in North America, 4 are in Canada at our plant, and one is located at TEMA technical center.
When we were driving the vehicle outside the plant, it was wrapped in brown paper for disguise.
Old 05-30-08, 03:24 PM
Junkxus
Rookie

Lexus sound proof ride! The two new 08 RXs I have had are very loud at 65+ mph. They booth have had Dynamt extreme added to the hatch floor, quarter panels, brake booster (don't ask) and the inner and outer door panels (all 4 doors). The side glass seems very thin and does not dampen well. Not to be to critical or rude but on my first 08 RX the rear exterior door handle fell off. Are you guys hiring unemployed GM and Ford workers. Quiet to a Honda or Toyota but not a Benz or BMW. I tested my RX at 65 MPH before Dynamat (75 db) with Daynamat (67db) still not luxury quiet of (55 db). Maybe they can sound test the proto-type to determine if Lexus quiet is fact or fiction. My tests of a 2006 Highlander the same day was (76 db) so the Lexus premium price is not getting us a quieter ride.

When the 2010 comes out I want to drive it to see if "Lexus Quiet" is fact or fiction. The RX is much louder at 65 mph than many other cars.
Old 05-30-08, 09:44 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

junksus, you have to understand that you are driving an SUV. the car eats up a lot of drag and the wind resistance is very strong. depending on your surface of road, i also agree that the cabin is much louder than the sedans.

have you driven an Merc or BMW SUV? im sure its almost or not worse than the RX

as for the prototype feeling more responsive...
are you sure its not because the car was bare to the bones as you mention that the car was just much lighter? perhaps its the same engine...which would be very bad.

Quick Reply: RX in 2010? Worth the Wait?