RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
View Poll Results: Overall, do you like the redesigned 2010 RX?
Yes
54.79%
No
31.51%
Indifferent
13.70%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-15-14, 03:49 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

2010 RX 350 Specifications and Options

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-09 | 12:20 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

No more touch screen also means no more finger prints on the screen which is great.
Old 02-14-09 | 09:25 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Interesting how the poll results have changed since the vehicle has actually made it's appearance and people have viewed it live.

If I recall, when we were just looking at pics the split was something like 60/40 against the new version.

Nice to see the tide turn with the live version.
Old 02-17-09 | 06:54 AM
cajun
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Interesting how the poll results have changed since the vehicle has actually made it's appearance and people have viewed it live.

If I recall, when we were just looking at pics the split was something like 60/40 against the new version.

Nice to see the tide turn with the live version.
Seemingly. Still, only half favor the redesign. I, however, agree with the other half:

Lexus of Edison held an unveiling event earlier this week for the 2010 RX, which I attended. Previously having only viewed photos and videos of the vehicle, I decided to reserve final judgment until a hands-on critique could be made. My immediate criticisms are few, but major: The exterior design, the interior design and the navigation controls.

The issue with the exterior redesign is simply that it is not much of a redesign, which was no doubt done intentionally as not to disrupt an obviously winning styling formula. Regardless, the tweaks made to the front end, rear end and door panels simply do not fit and seem to detract from the overall 2004 second-generation design on which it is based. Other revisions, such as the return of the first-generation tiny window behind each side mirror for ‘increased visibility’ and color changes to the rear spoiler and roof rails also appear to be afterthoughts.

Criticism of the interior begins and ends with the center dashboard. The redesign constraints taken with the exterior all but vanished with the styling of the asymmetrical dashboard, much of which seems to be unnecessary and an attempt to appeal to a younger consumer demographic.

The retooled navigation interface was the final cause for concern. The previous touch screen interface was simple and intuitive. Replacing such tried and true controls with a computer mouse-like interface is certainly questionable. However, after inputting several destinations, I found the revamped, haptic feedback controls to be quite natural and intuitive, though not as much as the previous touch screen system. That said, the newly adopted control system undoubtedly facilitated some design decisions. For instance, recessing the navigation screen farther into the dashboard does, indeed, reduce glare that occasionally plagued the outgoing layout.

To conclude, the aforementioned, albeit brief, assessment is merely my opinion on the exterior and interior styling and navigation interface of the 2010 RX, and should in no way be misconstrued as a prediction of the inclinations of potential buyers. In fact, despite styling criticisms, the 2010 RX is without question a superior vehicle when compared its predecessor and should sell well, economic climate notwithstanding.
Old 02-17-09 | 08:07 PM
skoh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Eh...it gets about the same fuel economy ratings, but with 25 less hp. That, to me, means that the 2GR-FSE is more efficient.
Did anyone notice that the owner's manual specifies 0W-20 engine oil only?
Maybe for better fuel economy as well.
Old 02-17-09 | 10:53 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cajun
Seemingly. Still, only half favor the redesign. I, however, agree with the other half:

Lexus of Edison held an unveiling event earlier this week for the 2010 RX, which I attended. Previously having only viewed photos and videos of the vehicle, I decided to reserve final judgment until a hands-on critique could be made. My immediate criticisms are few, but major: The exterior design, the interior design and the navigation controls.

The issue with the exterior redesign is simply that it is not much of a redesign, which was no doubt done intentionally as not to disrupt an obviously winning styling formula. Regardless, the tweaks made to the front end, rear end and door panels simply do not fit and seem to detract from the overall 2004 second-generation design on which it is based. Other revisions, such as the return of the first-generation tiny window behind each side mirror for ‘increased visibility’ and color changes to the rear spoiler and roof rails also appear to be afterthoughts.

Criticism of the interior begins and ends with the center dashboard. The redesign constraints taken with the exterior all but vanished with the styling of the asymmetrical dashboard, much of which seems to be unnecessary and an attempt to appeal to a younger consumer demographic.

The retooled navigation interface was the final cause for concern. The previous touch screen interface was simple and intuitive. Replacing such tried and true controls with a computer mouse-like interface is certainly questionable. However, after inputting several destinations, I found the revamped, haptic feedback controls to be quite natural and intuitive, though not as much as the previous touch screen system. That said, the newly adopted control system undoubtedly facilitated some design decisions. For instance, recessing the navigation screen farther into the dashboard does, indeed, reduce glare that occasionally plagued the outgoing layout.

To conclude, the aforementioned, albeit brief, assessment is merely my opinion on the exterior and interior styling and navigation interface of the 2010 RX, and should in no way be misconstrued as a prediction of the inclinations of potential buyers. In fact, despite styling criticisms, the 2010 RX is without question a superior vehicle when compared its predecessor and should sell well, economic climate notwithstanding.
I respect your initial opinion and that of guys like G man and others that aren't thrilled with the new design. But I'm curious what you guys view as true competitors of better value?

Having driven most of the competitors recently in our current search for a new vehicle, I would contend that the RX is head and shoulders about the X3 and GLK, while it lags behind the X5, X6 and MB ML 320 Bluetec. (We haven't seen the new Q5 yet, but mmarshall's review doesn't bode well....and the Q7 is $30K more than a fully loaded RX up here).

Of course, the RX is slightly more expensive than the smaller sport utes, but it is significantly cheaper than the bigger Germans. I dunno...it just seems to fit between the two segments.

I guess, at this point, I'm suggesting that the new '10 RX is still probably the all around best bang for your buck in the SUV game. Opinions are welcomed and appreciated, as we have not made any decisions yet and are not committed to any one brand.
Old 02-18-09 | 06:29 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

CDNROCKIES, you are right about the RX having no competitors. Lexus price the RX smartly, most SUV that would be its competitor cost more, I guess that’s why the RX sells so well. One would have to pay more to get into a better SUV. If the RX is the right SUV for you, then there is no competition as far as price is concerned.
In my opinion, just because a SUV cost $10000 more, that doesn’t mean you cannot cross shop them. You just need to justify that extra $10000 somehow, and suv such as the X5 justifies it well.
I read one review that descript the Q5 as a lifted A4 as far as handling is concerned, but like many German cars, I would stay away from 1 year designs.
Old 02-18-09 | 08:09 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by The G Man
CDNROCKIES, you are right about the RX having no competitors. Lexus price the RX smartly, most SUV that would be its competitor cost more, I guess that’s why the RX sells so well. One would have to pay more to get into a better SUV. If the RX is the right SUV for you, then there is no competition as far as price is concerned.
In my opinion, just because a SUV cost $10000 more, that doesn’t mean you cannot cross shop them. You just need to justify that extra $10000 somehow, and suv such as the X5 justifies it well.
I read one review that descript the Q5 as a lifted A4 as far as handling is concerned, but like many German cars, I would stay away from 1 year designs.
I understand your comment about cross-shopping. But the price difference is more than you think. Up here a fully loaded '10 RX is $62 417, while a fully loaded '09 X5 35d (not including the 3rd row seats so we're comparing apples to apples) is $79 900.

So the decision is, is the X5 worth $17 500 more than the RX?
Old 02-18-09 | 12:24 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Here in the US, you can get an average X5 for about $55000. If you look at the competition for a luxury soft rider like the RX, it is very weak. You are looking at maybe the MB ML class, Land Rover LR2, the Volvo XC class and the Lincoln MKX. Not a very elite list I must say. Almost all others in the luxury SUV segments are making SUV gear toward performance.
Old 02-19-09 | 06:10 AM
cajun
Pit Crew

Here in the US, you can get an average X5 for about $55000. If you look at the competition for a luxury soft rider like the RX, it is very weak. You are looking at maybe the MB ML class, Land Rover LR2, the Volvo XC class and the Lincoln MKX. Not a very elite list I must say. Almost all others in the luxury SUV segments are making SUV gear toward performance.
Agreed. When compared to European offerings, the RX is simply a different type of vehicle, even against its Japanese competitors, as Acura and Infiniti promote handling and performance respectively.

As a footnote regarding touch screen navigation controls, commonplace items such as newer automated tellers, vending machines and supermarket checkout devices now use touch controls. Smart phones without touch interfaces now seem archaic. Moreover, with the advent of tablets and touch screen computers, some have predicted physical mouse and keyboard devices will be all but extinct in the not so distant future.

That said, it is somewhat puzzling, aside from facilitating some interior design choices, why Lexus would favor mechanical mouse-like controls over a touch screen interface. Fingerprints notwithstanding, of course.
Old 02-19-09 | 07:27 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I agree about the touch screen, pointing a finger to a button have to be easier then pointing a mouse arrow.
Old 02-19-09 | 01:46 PM
leemat74
Driver School Candidate

We've been looking to replace the wife's RX and were considering the new RX, Acura MDX, Buick Enclave and Mercedes R320. The Acura was suitable but was eventually deemed too ugly. Just couldn't get used to that grill. It usually takes me a while to warm up to polarizing designs so I usually give it some time before vetoing a car. For example, it took me a few months to get used to the 2004 RX's tail lights. Not sure when or if I can warm up to the new RX yet.
Old 02-20-09 | 06:06 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

It will take me about 5 to 10 years before I can warm up the new RX star trek interior.
Old 02-20-09 | 06:50 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

It will take me about 5 to 10 years before I can warm up the new RX star trek interior.
haha, I bet you are using Windows XP too, not Vista?
Old 02-20-09 | 06:51 AM
tfischer

G Man, you must be a late adapter. It took me about 2 minutes to "warm up" to the new interior. I found it highly functional, with controls very easily and quickly available to the driver, and opening up the right side of the front seat for a more spacious and comfortable feeling.
And there is even a plug for your iPod, when you get one in 2015.
Old 02-20-09 | 07:50 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Actually most companies are still using XP becuase Vista sux so much. Just because its newer, doesnt mean its better. A late adapter I am not, I like designs that matchs the current time frame, not the future. They can easily added all the functionality in the new interior without making it look like the star ship enterprise. One thing that Lexus have always appeal to me is the classic design. A design that will fit all ages, not just the new age.

Quick Reply: 2010 RX 350 Specifications and Options