RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
View Poll Results: Overall, do you like the redesigned 2010 RX?
Yes
54.79%
No
31.51%
Indifferent
13.70%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-15-14, 03:49 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

2010 RX 350 Specifications and Options

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-08, 08:30 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano
Why shouldn't it be quieter? I'm talking about wind and road noise. Sure, it's probably quiet to most people - but Lexus LS owners wouldn't mind an improvement...
The drag coefficient is improved from Cd 0.35 => 0.32, less wind resistance...
Old 11-19-08, 08:33 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Wasted time waiting for 2010 RX

Okay, looking at the new 2010 RX350, I feel like I just wasted about three years waiting for something that never came.

What does this have over the 1st or even 2nd generation RX? It's longer, wider, heavier, has more HP... but then what?

Still 5-passenger. No better in terms of gas mileage, because it's longer, wider, heavier and NOT ENOUGH horsepower.

I guess maybe if your family hasn't grown since the RX300, then this is "newer" and is an improvement, but what if your family has grown?

NO GO for me... it looks like MDX might be my route. sad...
Old 11-19-08, 09:06 PM
kalvano
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why shouldn't it be quieter? I'm talking about wind and road noise. Sure, it's probably quiet to most people - but Lexus LS owners wouldn't mind an improvement...
If you make the RX as quiet as the LS, then what do LS owners have to look forward to?
Old 11-19-08, 09:25 PM
tom2517
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KeysRx300
Looks like they went back in time on the front speaker placement. They brought back the little RX300 window and moved the speakers to the the door.
But it has 15 speakers now, so maybe there are still speakers in the front dashboard but we just can't see it. I mean, it's got to have surround sound, i don't know how it can surround without at least a center speaker, and that can't be at the door.
Old 11-20-08, 05:07 AM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kalvano
If you make the RX as quiet as the LS, then what do LS owners have to look forward to?
i think he was referring to the fact that this generation LS isnt as quiet as previous models....
Old 11-20-08, 05:45 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

If I have to look at that wired looking dash every morning, I think I would shot myself
Old 11-20-08, 08:30 AM
cajun
Pit Crew

Received 143 Likes on 58 Posts

Agreed. Exterior design is certainly evolutionary, not revolutionary. The asymmetrical interior, however, is definitely a novel area for Lexus.
Old 11-20-08, 09:09 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I like this new RX but it's such a subtle change for the exterior. I was hoping for a little more... I love the interior. It's DEFINITELY more upscale! The funny thing is, if this wasn't an entry-level vehicle, I might want one.. I wish Lexus had something more exclusive of this size. AND more powerful. I know many people don't want more power but you'd be surprised how many people own new Hyundai Genesis V8s.. I don't like weak vehicles. With the added weight, 275 horsepower isn't going to be strong enough (for me).
You can always get the RX hybrid for more power. I'm sure it will be fast enough.

Originally Posted by kalvano
I like it a lot.

I think it will be very popular.

I personally would like to see a more dynamic exterior, but it's the #1 selling Lexus. Don't want to go too far and lose sales.

Next year looks to be very good for Lexus, with 4 new models due.
4 new models? New RX, new Lexus hybrid, IS convertible, and ... ?

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Okay, looking at the new 2010 RX350, I feel like I just wasted about three years waiting for something that never came.

What does this have over the 1st or even 2nd generation RX? It's longer, wider, heavier, has more HP... but then what?

Still 5-passenger. No better in terms of gas mileage, because it's longer, wider, heavier and NOT ENOUGH horsepower.

I guess maybe if your family hasn't grown since the RX300, then this is "newer" and is an improvement, but what if your family has grown?

NO GO for me... it looks like MDX might be my route. sad...
You don't know what the gas mileage is going to be, plain and simple. The new RX has a 6-speed vs the 5-speed auto in the current-gen. That will improve fuel economy and performance. The RX hybrid has more power AND according to Edmunds will see an 8% fuel efficiency increase.

This has an interior that blows away all previous RX interiors, and has a HUGE amount of features and options. The Remote Touch "mouse" Nav controller, the dual screen entertainment system, it goes on and on.

Lexus asked a lot of current RX owners and they did not want more seating, most of them wanted the RX to stay as a 5 passenger vehicle.

Originally Posted by jjbodean
i think he was referring to the fact that this generation LS isnt as quiet as previous models....
Huh? The LS hybrid is the quietest LS ever built.
Old 11-20-08, 10:42 AM
kalvano
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
4 new models? New RX, new Lexus hybrid, IS convertible, and ... ?

Hopefully, the new GX will in showrooms by December. It's due to start being built at the beginning of November.
Old 11-20-08, 10:50 AM
kalvano
Lead Lap

Also, to address some other points.

Power -

It's not a sporty SUV. If you want power and handling, I suggest an X5. The power is more than adequate for what it is - an around-town luxury SUV. Power and handling are far secondary to an awesome interior, luxurious ride, smoothness and quietness.

Honestly, I've never had anyone complain about a lack of power. This isn't a competitor to the IS-F.

People complain about no Smart Key, no ventilated seats, counter-intuitive voice commands, and basically 6-8 year-old technology.

Lexus fixed all that.

Styling -

It's the #1 selling vehicle for Lexus, which is a conservative company anyway. Was anybody really expecting a radical restyling? Even the current bodystyle looks good, all they did was evolve it.

If you honestly expected a radical re-design, then you haven't followed Lexus model changes much.

Interior -

Love it or hate it. I really like it. I am not a fan of wood interiors, so I am glad to see them moving away from it.

I think this interior is absolutely top-notch, and differentiates itself from the competition.

Can't wait to get in and play with.

Remote Touch -

Talked to a lot of people that have played with it, and every single one of them says if you can use a computer mouse, this will take about 30 seconds to learn.

Lexus has always been about intuitive controls, no reason to deviate now.

I can't wait. It's going to be a huge seller.
Old 11-20-08, 11:04 AM
cajun
Pit Crew

Received 143 Likes on 58 Posts

Agreed. Lack of a touchscreen navigation system will almost certainly upset some potential buyers. One can only hope the navigation controls and interface will not draw BMW iDrive-like criticism.
Old 11-20-08, 11:15 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

From all the comments here so far about the new interior, I would say the new interior design will be the big down fall for this new RX design. Like comtemporary art, most people seems to either love it or hate it, same is true with the new Lexus interior.
Lexus have always design cars for the general public, designs that please most of the people, but no one really love it or hate it, its always some where in the middle. With this new interior, they just lost half of its customer base, expecially the older buyers who are more conservative. Much like BMW's fail designs from Chris Bangle, Lexus will see a decrease in sales numbers in this new design. Somehow, I am not very surprise. Most of the new designs from Lexus in the last 2 to 3 years have been very disappointing, not to mention the decline in quality. Lexus really need to going back to the drawing board, sort of speak.
Old 11-20-08, 11:20 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

getting rid of older buyers? i think thats the goal. or at least part of it. they want to appeal to the younger crowd as well. in marketing, it makes sense in the long run.

as for the inside. at first, even i was a bit creeped out, but it has already begun to grow on me, as i feel it will with other people. the exterior is nothing to hate or love, since its almost the same shape and form. im very excited for this new model and really want to try it out in feb
Old 11-20-08, 11:35 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The interior is futuristic, with the swoops, but the button placement is very simple.
Old 11-20-08, 11:37 AM
kalvano
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by encore888
The interior is futuristic, with the swoops, but the button placement is very simple.

I think that's the key. It looks different because of the design, but it's still pretty much the same layout when you look close.

So even the older folks will feel at home in it after a few minutes.

Quick Reply: 2010 RX 350 Specifications and Options