RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Lexus unveils 2010 RX350 & 450h (Pics pg. 18)

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-08, 08:32 PM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

yes i have the agree the door panels are the worst part of the entire car. i mean i can get over a lot of stuff, but they really need a stitch or more wood. at least theres an upper speaker now...
Old 11-20-08, 08:45 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
You mean sea of vinyl ?

Are you ***** me!!!! This really cant be true. It cant be. You should have never told me that. I dont get upset about stuff as small as this, but this is just unbelievable to me. Might just be me, but for that kind of money, I dont expect much to be overlooked especially when it comes to interior design and materials.

Man, I'm starting to see why some people still like to call Lexus rebadged Toyota's (yea, I went there ).
Old 11-20-08, 08:55 PM
RXSF

oh no you diididnt.

im goign to say that while i wouldnt be surprised if it was hard plastic...i have to keep my faith with the designers. they would never EVER do that do the RX...i mean common. so yeh...can somebody verify this officially? the images can make it go either way
Old 11-20-08, 09:03 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
oh no you diididnt.

im goign to say that while i wouldnt be surprised if it was hard plastic...i have to keep my faith with the designers. they would never EVER do that do the RX...i mean common. so yeh...can somebody verify this officially? the images can make it go either way
The new RX may not be out yet, but you can go to a dealership to sit inside a LX570. As I have said before, I think only the armrest is leather, if you examine & touch the rest of the door panel & conclude it is vinyl, then you can be pretty sure it will be the same for the RX.

Door of LX570 :

Or someone can go to the LA Motor Show tommorow to confirm that, but that will only be a preproduction RX I guess ...
Old 11-20-08, 09:03 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm very confident those door panels are not hard plastic. Based on the variety of close up pics I've seen of the door panels, they are some sort of vinyl or soft-touch material but quite sure they're not hard plastic.
Old 11-20-08, 09:05 PM
RXSF

okay wait. i think im confused.

i thought that hard plastic (which is what lexus has been using on the lower parts of the door, like the current RX) is what we are suspecting it is. i thought this was called "vinyl plastic" as in, its hard plastic, but it looks like leather.

are you guys saying that it could by vinyl? like soft as leather but not leather on those doors?

Old 11-20-08, 09:06 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I'm very confident those door panels are not hard plastic. Based on the variety of close up pics I've seen of the door panels, they are some sort of vinyl or soft-touch material but quite sure they're not hard plastic.
No way it's hard plastic. Like TRDFantasy said, it'll be soft vinyl.

Go touch the door panel on the ES350, that'll be exactly what the new RX is getting.
Old 11-20-08, 09:07 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Yes there are better quality, softer-touch vinyl & the harder, cheaper looking type plastic.
For example, those on the dash of the GS is softer-touch & more upscale than those on the dash in the ES & IS.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 11-20-08 at 09:12 PM.
Old 11-20-08, 09:10 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by RXSF
okay wait. i think im confused.

i thought that hard plastic (which is what lexus has been using on the lower parts of the door, like the current RX) is what we are suspecting it is. i thought this was called "vinyl plastic" as in, its hard plastic, but it looks like leather.

are you guys saying that it could by vinyl? like soft as leather but not leather on those doors?

Better quality vinyl can be softer, smoother to the touch , but it will not feel the same as leather.
Old 11-20-08, 09:11 PM
RXSF

oh okay, i actually dont care as much if its soft vinyl..as long as others think its leather i thought it was that hard plastic...then i would have a humongous problem
Old 11-20-08, 09:39 PM
LexFather

Well the Benz GLK debuts with PLEATHER as standard everywhere. SO I can deal with a door panel lol
Old 11-20-08, 10:23 PM
Nao1008
Driver School Candidate

i kinda see what Lexus is trying to do with new RX. When You see the U.S SUVs, its is always mostly big, bold, muscular, etc. Even MDX and new FX kinda following that direction, no Japanese design philosophy. specially ACURAs, designed and built in USA Just for US market.

I remember seeing Japan's Lexus dealer pics here someone visited. They have so clean , minimalistic look, which is kinda design philosophy Japanese likes. There was photo of their office desk with absolutely nothing on in, no file, no papers lying around, no pen, just nothing.

Looking at more pics closely, i can see New RX's lots small details that usually no one pays attention, but gradually pops up as getting used to. that hidden rear wipers, no key hole or button on door handle, no stitches on door panel, no door guard etc. i am sure there will be more to discover, but all adds to up to minimalistic, sleek looks with some curve here and there to retain designes that's sort of based on Japanese heritage of design heritage. (like Japanese garden with pond that looks like empty and nothing is there literally, but as u stay there, u feel calm and become appreciative of what is there, and start noticing things that everything there is very carefully put together, a stone, a small tree, big pine tree, step stones on pond etc.)
Old 11-20-08, 10:37 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It looks to Highlander-esque. The 2RX could differentiate itself heaps better than the 1st-gen Highlander (i.e. the curvy vs. blockish design).

I have to give this a thumbs down right now, but it may or may not grow on me.
Old 11-20-08, 11:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,635 Posts

All this talk of leather. Only a matter of time before it's VERY rare on cars as better textured plastics emerge.
Old 11-21-08, 12:17 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

im sorry but this car is digusting this honestly the worst car to come out of lexus styling wise, who ever thinks this car looks nice probably thinks that fat bald it from the clubhouse looks good

Quick Reply: Lexus unveils 2010 RX350 & 450h (Pics pg. 18)