RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Lexus unveils 2010 RX350 & 450h (Pics pg. 18)

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-09, 11:31 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RXSF
got an email from lexus, with some demo videos

http://www.lexus.com/fcv/RXandRXh.ht...ain_bottomdemo
Interesting. Lexus.jp also has a pretty long video of the RX, it's a RHD version but the vid was mostly shot here in LA.

http://lexus.jp/models/rx/index.html

Here is a Japanese review of the RX with the link to the photo gallery which shows the folding seats (click on the third pic, of the cargo compartment).

http://www.webcg.net/WEBCG/impressions/i0000020530.html
Old 02-04-09, 11:50 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ren495
when I first saw the pictures of this car I was disappointed, I thought it was ugly. But I just saw it in real life and man, I think its hotter looking than the older model. Plus the awesome interior and all the new technology including heads up display and the awesome mouse-idrive controler! Lexus has a huge hit on its hands. I think the new 450h also beats the german diesels in acceleration and mileage. ML Bluetec or X5 35d get worse mileage than the RX450h and are slower.

I don't know why but there is something wierd about these new Lexus cars: many of them look ugly in pictures but really hot in real life. I thought the IS-convertible was ugly but i'm sure i'll change my mind once I see it

They should have tried harder though on the HS250h
We test drove both of these vehicles on Monday, as well as the X3 and GLK. I still have a tough time deciding who the RX competes against. We aren't sure how the 450h will stack up against the Bluetec or 35d, but compared to the 350, we felt that the RX wasn't a direct competitor. The RX is smaller, doesn't handle as well, and is considerably less expensive.

Yet, we did feel that the 350 was definitely a step up from the GLK and X3. The Germans felt small and the interior luxury didn't feel close to the RX imo. As expected they did handle better, but didn't seem significantly faster....all for more money.

I guess we'll wait until we get to see and drive the '10 RX350 in a couple of weeks, where it really fits in.
Old 02-05-09, 07:51 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Isn't the GLK much smaller and cheaper (when equipped in similar way) to the RX350? X3 is certainly way past it's prime.
Old 02-05-09, 12:34 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Isn't the GLK much smaller and cheaper (when equipped in similar way) to the RX350? X3 is certainly way past it's prime.
We had a chance to see, feel, and drive a GLK last weekend, to say it was unimpressive would be an understatement. First off, I cannot compare it to the new RX, but can to our 05 RX 330. The MB is indeed smaller, much smaller. There is literally no cargo room aft of the rear seat, you can get maybe a couple of overnight bags in there, along with one small to medium size suitcase and that's about it. It had a very barren interior, nothing even resembling any kind of luxury appointments, the seat angles and steering wheel are very hard to adjust, and the seat doesn't go back near far enough for tall individuals. On the road, subjectively, it felt like our RX was leagues ahead in terms of power, and certainly in terms of performance and handling. The MB crashed over road imperfections, and felt quite top heavy (not that the RX is anything but a highway tourer). Cost wise, we were shocked at the sticker cost when equipped similarly to our 05 RX, it wasn't even close to the TV ads, the one we drove was pushing real hard towards $50k, and it was pretty basic with leather (hard leather at that), AWD, and typical options. This is one vehicle that is definitely off my consideration list as a potential replacement for our RX.
Old 02-05-09, 12:52 PM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

The RX is starting to really grow on me. it looks really good in pictures too now!
Old 02-05-09, 01:05 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Orzel
We had a chance to see, feel, and drive a GLK last weekend, to say it was unimpressive would be an understatement. First off, I cannot compare it to the new RX, but can to our 05 RX 330. The MB is indeed smaller, much smaller. There is literally no cargo room aft of the rear seat, you can get maybe a couple of overnight bags in there, along with one small to medium size suitcase and that's about it. It had a very barren interior, nothing even resembling any kind of luxury appointments, the seat angles and steering wheel are very hard to adjust, and the seat doesn't go back near far enough for tall individuals. On the road, subjectively, it felt like our RX was leagues ahead in terms of power, and certainly in terms of performance and handling. The MB crashed over road imperfections, and felt quite top heavy (not that the RX is anything but a highway tourer). Cost wise, we were shocked at the sticker cost when equipped similarly to our 05 RX, it wasn't even close to the TV ads, the one we drove was pushing real hard towards $50k, and it was pretty basic with leather (hard leather at that), AWD, and typical options. This is one vehicle that is definitely off my consideration list as a potential replacement for our RX.
In the current issue of C&D they do a Short Take on the GLK. I'm not sure what options it had, but the sticker was nearly $43.5K. I've read other reports confirming that with options it can hit nearly $50K.
Old 02-05-09, 01:33 PM
RXSF

motortrend tests 2010 RX450h against the X5 diesel, M class diesel and VW diesel!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3qr2IwXU2E

i cant find part two!

Last edited by RXSF; 02-05-09 at 01:41 PM.
Old 02-05-09, 01:46 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Interesting vid, but yeah maybe they are holding off part two, they did that before with an M5/CTS-V vid IIRC. So we know that the RX gets 1st or 2nd place but no details...

The RX 400h did well against the ML BlueTec a while back in an IL comparo.

Last edited by encore888; 02-05-09 at 06:17 PM.
Old 02-05-09, 01:49 PM
RXSF

good news is he keeps comparing the M and the X5 to the Lexus. hehe. since those got low 20s in mpg, im guessing he RX blew them away with at least mid 20s

do you remember how long it took them to release part 2?
Old 02-05-09, 01:52 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

I'm not sure, I think that vid took quite a while, IIRC because it was a special motorsport comparo, but for this one (which is more of a mainstream comparo) it could be perhaps in a day or two, or as long as a week (hopefully not!). Although these days I find these writeups/magazine vids interesting but by no means definitive.

Am looking forward to finally getting inside the cabin of the RX, I've seen in thrice now, at the LA Auto Show and in Japan...outside is more of an evolution, inside is where the big change is...also tried the Remote Touch display at the LA Auto Show, the haptic feedback reminds me of Wii Tennis, want to see how it is in the car.

Last edited by encore888; 02-05-09 at 05:13 PM.
Old 02-05-09, 02:04 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by encore888
Interesting. Lexus.jp also has a pretty long video of the RX, it's a RHD version but the vid was mostly shot here in LA.

http://lexus.jp/models/rx/index.html
The white RX looks good.
Old 02-05-09, 02:39 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
The white RX looks good.
Yes, looks good in white.
Old 02-05-09, 02:40 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for the update on GLK, maybe that helps explain the slow sales at launch.
Old 02-05-09, 03:41 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

I agree with everything you stated about the GLK, except as far as performance and handling. The Germans do know how to set up their steering. I agree that the ride was quite harsh, (but then again, why would you put 20" wheels on a little SUV?) but it handled way better than the RX (we have the same one you do).

If Lexus could ever figure out how to incorporate steering/handling like the Germans they would have the best selling vehicles on the planet.

We also agree that this vehicle is no longer a consideration. (the ML 320 Bluetec is another matter).
Old 02-06-09, 12:14 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
I agree with everything you stated about the GLK, except as far as performance and handling. The Germans do know how to set up their steering. I agree that the ride was quite harsh, (but then again, why would you put 20" wheels on a little SUV?) but it handled way better than the RX (we have the same one you do).

If Lexus could ever figure out how to incorporate steering/handling like the Germans they would have the best selling vehicles on the planet.

We also agree that this vehicle is no longer a consideration. (the ML 320 Bluetec is another matter).
Well, the old "Butt Dyno" was telling me that in a drag race, the RX would likely win, the MB was very slow off the mark and “felt” very heavy. I was unimpressed with the German handling as represented by this particular model, to us it was very awkward feeling with a very choppy motion on the highway. We also drove a few other MB's (including ML, but no Bluetec available) all of which rode significantly better than the MLK. What we found very unusual was we had an offer of a used 07 ML (we are well known at this dealership which sells other brands besides MB), loaded with all options, including nav for $29.9k, only 23k miles, guaranteed no accidents, CPO type - if that's indicative of the resale, me thinks I'm going elsewhere for car brand shopping!

Quick Reply: Lexus unveils 2010 RX350 & 450h (Pics pg. 18)