RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Lexus unveils 2010 RX350 & 450h (Pics pg. 18)

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-08, 03:53 PM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/29/2...nese-brochure/

i was the tipster. you can thank me later
Old 10-29-08, 04:49 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off, these are BAD quality pics, and you can barely see any details in them.

From what we can see, I must admit I am dissapointed with the exterior. This is NOT what I was expecting with the exterior of the new RX. When you compare this side-by-side to the LF-Xh concept, this looks REALLY dissapointing and dated. I think the rear end is actually a step BACKWARDS compared to the current RX. The rear of the LF-Xh looks MUCH better.

The interior looks cool and different, but I need to see high quality pictures before final judgement. The gauge cluster looks cool. I'm not liking the vast expanses of black dash and white on the doors. The "i-drive" controller you can't really see, so I will wait until official info and pics is out before having an opinion on that.

The front end looks pretty bland, the grill looks good, and the RX450h looks better than the regular model. It's cool that the hybrid gets LED lights and it gets a better-looking bumper, plus better rims.

My initial impression/reaction is one of dissapointment, just like the IS convertible. Before this RX and IS convertible, Lexus had a history of making production cars that looked CLOSE to concept vehicles. Toyota has a history of doing that. Even looking at the Venza, it looks close to the FT-SX concept. Now with Lexus, the IS convertible A LOT different compared to the LF-C concept, and now this new RX is A LOT different compared to the LF-Xh concept.

I REALLY hope for Lexus' sake that in the future the production cars look CLOSE to the great concepts Lexus has released. I also hope for Lexus' sake that the LF-A production car looks as aggressive as the LF-A II concept.
Old 10-29-08, 08:22 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

I think the next generation RX 350/450h looks good. The interior looks space age/modernistic. I can't wait to see it in person at the L.A. autoshow...I'll take lots of pictures and post them...
Old 10-29-08, 08:26 PM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Seems like this version of the RX has more in common with the upcoming Venza than the Highlander...eventhough they are all based on the same chassis....the size of the highlander has grown quiet a bit. Well, I liking this one better than the one its replacing, hated that back tailight design!!
Old 10-29-08, 08:51 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

I still find it amusing to see the number of posts that "express shock" or "are dissappointed" that the new 2010 RX does NOT closely resemble the LF-Xh CONCEPT vehicle. There was ZERO chance that Lexus was going to radically change one of their best selling vehicles and jeopardize it's WIDE appeal.

Don't get me wrong...I LOVE the LF-Xh and would love to see it come to production. I'd buy one in a heartbeat, but the general public at the RX price range wouldn't be breaking down the doors. Maybe they could offer a limited production/special order in the future? That would be fun
Old 10-29-08, 09:17 PM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

when is it showing at LA auto show?
Old 10-29-08, 09:29 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by tfz_hebe89
when is it showing at LA auto show?
Friday, November 21st and I'll be there...
Old 10-29-08, 10:57 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
I still find it amusing to see the number of posts that "express shock" or "are dissappointed" that the new 2010 RX does NOT closely resemble the LF-Xh CONCEPT vehicle. There was ZERO chance that Lexus was going to radically change one of their best selling vehicles and jeopardize it's WIDE appeal.

Don't get me wrong...I LOVE the LF-Xh and would love to see it come to production. I'd buy one in a heartbeat, but the general public at the RX price range wouldn't be breaking down the doors. Maybe they could offer a limited production/special order in the future? That would be fun
I'm sorry, but Lexus cannot offer "incremental evolution" of the old model forever. The Gen 2 RX was a slight evolution of the Gen 1 RX, and this Gen 3 so far seems to be only a slight evolution as well. Competition continues to increase. Look at the Gen 5 to Gen 6 change with the Camry; that was a pretty major evolution, exterior and interior-wise. This Gen 3 RX is a big change interior-wise, I give Lexus credit for that.

Exterior-wise it's a dissapointment because it looks bland and it has too many Toyota styling cues, and not enough L-Finesse styling cues.

Like I said, I hope for Lexus' sake their future production vehicles go back to CLOSELY resembling their concepts. If Lexus never intended/does not intend to make a production vehicle closely resembling the LF-Xh, then they should have NEVER made the concept in the first place!

What happened to all that talk from Toyota that future Lexus models would be MORE differentiated styling-wise with Toyota models?

The Gen 3 RX didn't have to be exactly the LF-Xh, but they could have, and SHOULD HAVE used more of the styling cues from the LF-Xh. The sleeker headlights, chiseled side profile, and rear end styling could have all been used WITHOUT alienating current buyers. The rear end of the LF-Xh is a clear and logical evolution of the Gen 2 RX rear end.

Lastly, the fact that Lexus continues to display the LF-Xh at different autoshows worldwide, and using different paint/exterior schemes gives people the impression that a future Lexus SUV will come out closely resembling those styling cues. Building concepts that will not resemble a production vehicle is silly as that only leads to dissapointment among buyers who get excited by the concepts. Toyota historically has never done that before and it would be silly for them to get into that pattern now.
Old 10-29-08, 11:28 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I'm sorry, but Lexus cannot offer "incremental evolution" of the old model forever. The Gen 2 RX was a slight evolution of the Gen 1 RX, and this Gen 3 so far seems to be only a slight evolution as well. Competition continues to increase. Look at the Gen 5 to Gen 6 change with the Camry; that was a pretty major evolution, exterior and interior-wise. This Gen 3 RX is a big change interior-wise, I give Lexus credit for that.

Exterior-wise it's a dissapointment because it looks bland and it has too many Toyota styling cues, and not enough L-Finesse styling cues.

Like I said, I hope for Lexus' sake their future production vehicles go back to CLOSELY resembling their concepts. If Lexus never intended/does not intend to make a production vehicle closely resembling the LF-Xh, then they should have NEVER made the concept in the first place!

What happened to all that talk from Toyota that future Lexus models would be MORE differentiated styling-wise with Toyota models?

The Gen 3 RX didn't have to be exactly the LF-Xh, but they could have, and SHOULD HAVE used more of the styling cues from the LF-Xh. The sleeker headlights, chiseled side profile, and rear end styling could have all been used WITHOUT alienating current buyers. The rear end of the LF-Xh is a clear and logical evolution of the Gen 2 RX rear end.

Lastly, the fact that Lexus continues to display the LF-Xh at different autoshows worldwide, and using different paint/exterior schemes gives people the impression that a future Lexus SUV will come out closely resembling those styling cues. Building concepts that will not resemble a production vehicle is silly as that only leads to dissapointment among buyers who get excited by the concepts. Toyota historically has never done that before and it would be silly for them to get into that pattern now.
Its early to tell but i agree. It looks like the 2RX but with chrome window trim and the grill and headlights meet like the LX. I do NOT like that front end design. Seperate the two for a sportier look.

I cannot believe they dropped touch screen.

Did anyone else catch the JDM RX has LEDs optional?

After reviewing the interior, that is one VERY stylish interior. WOW, almost futuristic. Its growing on me already.

Last edited by LexFather; 10-29-08 at 11:32 PM.
Old 10-30-08, 12:09 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Its early to tell but i agree. It looks like the 2RX but with chrome window trim and the grill and headlights meet like the LX. I do NOT like that front end design. Seperate the two for a sportier look.

I cannot believe they dropped touch screen.

Did anyone else catch the JDM RX has LEDs optional?

After reviewing the interior, that is one VERY stylish interior. WOW, almost futuristic. Its growing on me already.
My final thoughts will be when I see it on the roads and in person, but we all will have a more detailed and accurate assessment of the RX at the LA Show with official pics and info.

Also upon further inspection, while the RX450h rims look nice, they look almost, if not exactly the same as the Highlander Hybrid rims. BIG mistake I think.
Old 10-30-08, 12:32 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lu1de
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/29/2...nese-brochure/

i was the tipster. you can thank me later

Looks like a Venza inside. I think the Venza is a Toyota version of the RX.
Old 10-30-08, 05:44 AM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

I'm warming up to the interior but the coolest thing about it, those futuristic air vents in the center console, will be used in the next gen Prius

le yawn
Old 10-30-08, 08:03 AM
carguy101
Lead Lap

Will the RX450h be available in FWD?

If so... gonna have some torque steer
Old 10-30-08, 08:26 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I think overall it looks good. I'm surprised Lexus hasn't done away with the standard shifter with something more electronic in nature, allowing for more space, cleaner design etc.

I'm surprised they went with a control ****, but I'll reserve final judgement until I see the user interface, etc.
Old 10-30-08, 09:53 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy

AGREED.

The interior is hot though, but I'm grossly disappointed by the exterior. Strike number 2 after the IS convertible...

Quick Reply: Lexus unveils 2010 RX350 & 450h (Pics pg. 18)