RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

So disappointed with the new 2010 RX....

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-08, 11:54 AM
ho0n
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
If you think those problems with the RX bothered you, wait 'till you try to live with VW quality and reliability for a year or so. My neighbors Toureg lasted about 5 months before he traded it for an RX350. Most of the 5 months were spent in the shop waiting for parts. He also did not get a loaner car for most of this time. The worst news was that no one wanted his Toureg in trade so he took a real bath.
Steve
I agree--I've heard much about VW's lack of reliability. However, I'm waiting for the Scirocco understanding that there will probably be issues. I bought the RX under the impression that it was of a higher caliber. Within the first three months of owning this model, I got in a car accident because my booster failed, and there's the "throttle flare" that was supposed to be fixed by a reflash which still remains. Lexus of Rockville removed an extra case of oil that they would clearly not need (I understand that this is an issue with an individual dealer and is not representative of the brand). I could go on and on, but the gist of all of this is that my experience did not, by any respect, reinforce the Lexus brand image.
Old 11-24-08, 12:24 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sportsfan8
I checked out the LA Auto Show today, and there's no difference between seeing pictures of the new RX vs. in person. Sure, all the tech goodies are there now... but I just can't get over the design, both rear and front. I played with the demo of the new "Remote Touch" controls for the Nav screen, and while it's pretty much just like using a computer mouse, it's still not as quick and snappy as a touch screen.

I thought that the Venza looked pretty nice, they even had a tricked out version on display, with huge wheels, smoked tail lights, and everything else. I want to make my '07 RX look like that!
Sportsfan8 can you give us a verbal description of what you actually saw?? Would be appreciated, as so far, like many here, I'm very disappointed, and hoping that the new RX is better looking in person - which apparently isn't the case?
Old 11-24-08, 12:30 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

There were a lot of problems with the Toureg the 1st 2 or 3 year, but most of the issues have been worked out. German cars as a whole have been made the biggest improvement recently as far as reliability is concerned. According to JD power, German cars are at about average and Lexus is still number #1, but the difference between #1 and average is not that big anymore. As technology and quality control get better and better, the gap between average and #1 is getting smaller and smaller. So the big question is would you rather buy a German car that is a lot more fun to drive or buy a Japanese car that is a bit more reliable.
Old 11-24-08, 05:20 PM
sup_lexio
Driver School Candidate

That babe is hot
Old 11-25-08, 03:27 PM
sportsfan8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Orzel
Sportsfan8 can you give us a verbal description of what you actually saw?? Would be appreciated, as so far, like many here, I'm very disappointed, and hoping that the new RX is better looking in person - which apparently isn't the case?
Standing there looking at the new RX in person, you quickly realize that Lexus didn't want to do anything drastic, design-wise, to their best seller. I think they were more focused on the technology to keep up with everyone else. The front looks odd to me, like they simply took the IS front and slapped it on the RX, trying to make it more sporty or aggressive looking. Looks are subjective, but I can't get over the tail lights of the new RX, especially in person. There's no way to describe the rear other than it looks like a combination of the Highlander and the Mazda CX-7/9.
Old 11-25-08, 03:37 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Standing there looking at the new RX in person, you quickly realize that Lexus didn't want to do anything drastic, design-wise, to their best seller. I think they were more focused on the technology to keep up with everyone else. The front looks odd to me, like they simply took the IS front and slapped it on the RX, trying to make it more sporty or aggressive looking. Looks are subjective, but I can't get over the tail lights of the new RX, especially in person. There's no way to describe the rear other than it looks like a combination of the Highlander and the Mazda CX-7/9.
Thanks I was hoping that this was all just a bad joke and the real 2010 RX will be shown later. So we have an IS front end (hey we have an IS and love it, but an RX it "ain’t"), combined with Mazda/Highlander influences - scary thought that. From the photos that I've seen, the front looks unbalanced somehow, like it's not quite proportional to the rest of the vehicle. At first I thought this may be due to the ¾ angle most commonly shown, but I’m beginning to believe that it’s for real. I’m still having a hard time with the wheel gap too, doesn’t look like much improvement there either. I guess I’ll have to wait till next February to see one, maybe it will grow on me between now and then. I’ll also be taking a close look at the Venza when it is available, so far, in terms of performance (from the early reports), in looks, exterior and interior, right down to the duel exhaust, it is what I think the new RX should have looked like – well except for that hideous snout.
Old 11-25-08, 06:15 PM
sportsfan8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Orzel
Thanks I was hoping that this was all just a bad joke and the real 2010 RX will be shown later. So we have an IS front end (hey we have an IS and love it, but an RX it "ain’t"), combined with Mazda/Highlander influences - scary thought that. From the photos that I've seen, the front looks unbalanced somehow, like it's not quite proportional to the rest of the vehicle. At first I thought this may be due to the ¾ angle most commonly shown, but I’m beginning to believe that it’s for real. I’m still having a hard time with the wheel gap too, doesn’t look like much improvement there either. I guess I’ll have to wait till next February to see one, maybe it will grow on me between now and then. I’ll also be taking a close look at the Venza when it is available, so far, in terms of performance (from the early reports), in looks, exterior and interior, right down to the duel exhaust, it is what I think the new RX should have looked like – well except for that hideous snout.
Yeah I agree in that the front looks unbalanced. The front may look great on the IS, but a bit awkward on an SUV that sits that high above ground.
Old 11-26-08, 12:24 AM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

We'll be in the market soon to replace our RX300. What I like about the 2010 RX was that Lexus didn't put in a 3rd row. What I don't care much for is the interior styling, asymetric center stack doesn't fly for me. The exterior design is ok but too similar to the previous generation to me. Overall, I'm definitely down on the new RX. (This should have been a simple poll question.)

Now maybe it's Lexus' intention to keep moving the RX further up in both size and price. I don't particularly care for a larger RX. If we want larger we'll look at a 3 row SUV. Another alternative we'll consider is the Audi Q5. The Q5 will be smaller than the 2010 RX, but it might be pretty close to the '99-'03 RX in size.
Old 11-26-08, 01:40 AM
papaalex
Lead Lap

I'll just watch from the sidelines first then wait for the 2011 model of RX if everything goes well after all kinks have been straightened out we might decide on getting one
Old 11-26-08, 01:50 AM
01001GS
Driver School Candidate

I'm glad we got our 08 last year. The new RX looks so cheap in person, esp. the back.
Old 11-26-08, 05:48 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Standing there looking at the new RX in person, you quickly realize that Lexus didn't want to do anything drastic, design-wise, to their best seller.
That starship enterprise interior looks like a pretty drastic change to me
Old 11-26-08, 08:26 AM
sportsfan8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by The G Man
That starship enterprise interior looks like a pretty drastic change to me
Yeah true, I was referring to the exterior. Too bad they didn't have an RX out where people could sit inside and look at the interior close-up.
Old 12-04-08, 03:00 PM
leemat74
Driver School Candidate

yup, I'm extremely disappointed with the exterior. Also was expecting a 3rd row.