RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2010 Lexus RX - Worth the Premium?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-09, 07:38 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

^^ on the lexus of Canada website, it says well equipped from $46,xxx

i guess that means base at 46K when the base for 09 was 43K as you state. thats only 3000 canadian, so thats like 2000 or less US dollars.

so seeing as how our base 2009 starts at 38K...i expect to see the 2010 RX to start at 40K
Old 01-21-09, 07:56 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RXSF
^^ on the lexus of Canada website, it says well equipped from $46,xxx

i guess that means base at 46K when the base for 09 was 43K as you state. thats only 3000 canadian, so thats like 2000 or less US dollars.

so seeing as how our base 2009 starts at 38K...i expect to see the 2010 RX to start at 40K
Um...we're both right.

The $46K doesn't include freight, handling, PDI, tire tax, air conditioning tax, license plates and registration, anti theft protection, rubber mats, block heater and documentation fees, while the base $49 830 does include all of this. (Yes, I know some of these are bs...lol)
Old 01-21-09, 09:32 PM
itrcb4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Rockies - care to post what "A" "L" and "B" contains?

Thx.

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Canadian pricing actually has been released already. I picked up the pricing sheet today. They expect to have a 2010 on site by the end of the month.

I'm not going to list every option but the packages go like this:

Models
A - Luxury SUV $49 830
L - Premium Package 1 $52 830
B - Premium Package 2 $54 430
C - Touring Package $57 830
S - Sport Package $59 830
D - Ultra Premium Package $65 130

These prices are inclusive of everything except GST. They also include a block heater and all weather floor mats.

The 2009's for comparison base at $43 266 and with the Ultra Premium Package at $56 816. (These prices do not include freight, pdi, tax, etc.)

Hopefully you can extrapolate what this may mean to US pricing.
Old 01-21-09, 10:20 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by itrcb4
Hey Rockies - care to post what "A" "L" and "B" contains?

Thx.
A - Premium fabric seat surfaces, active front headrest system, 60/40 rear seat split with recline, center console box with integrated armrest, power tilt & telescoping steering wheel, garage door opener, roof rails, 18" aluminum wheels

L - A + Perforated leather seat surfaces, front seats heated & ventilated, driver seat memory system, auto-dimming side view mirrors, power moon roof, power rear door

B - L + adaptive front lighting system with auto leveling bi-xenon hid headlamps, auto-dimming rear view mirror with integrated backup camera, wallet size smart card key

C - B + voice activated HDD navigation system with remote touch, 12 speaker premium audio with usb input and subwoofer, wood and leather wrapped steering wheel and shift ****, 19" aluminum wheels

S - C + sport tuned sterring and suspension, vehicle dynamics integrated management (VDIM), heads-up display, unique alloy wheels, leather wrapped steering wheel and shift ****

D - S + premium leather seat surfaces, VDIM, heads-up display, wide-view side monitor system, intuitive park assist, 15 speaker ML audio with in-dash DVD changer, dual rear seat DVD entertainment system
Old 01-22-09, 06:54 AM
Junkxus
Rookie

How can anyone justify $50k less 10% discount for any camary economy class anything! The new rx is still front drive and front heavy. Lexus is pricing themself out of thier class (entry level luxury). I think they are just overpriced toyotas. Both my 2008 rx350 were very poorly built. The bmw x5 drives soooo much better and can be had for that price range. Plus the average age of a lexus owner is 61 years old, same as buick.
Old 01-22-09, 08:57 AM
damnboy
Pole Position

I'll say wait till it comes out then test drive both. Your heart will tell you which one to buy.. or maybe your wallet
Old 01-22-09, 12:54 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Junkxus
How can anyone justify $50k less 10% discount for any camary economy class anything! The new rx is still front drive and front heavy. Lexus is pricing themself out of thier class (entry level luxury). I think they are just overpriced toyotas. Both my 2008 rx350 were very poorly built. The bmw x5 drives soooo much better and can be had for that price range. Plus the average age of a lexus owner is 61 years old, same as buick.
You must admit, when the X5 1st came out, it was pretty un-reliable. They have worked out most of the bugs now. It takes the German a bit longer to work out the buys, but once they do, its a fantastic vehicle.
Old 01-22-09, 04:26 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Junkxus
Why do you continue to post here?

You sound like the biggest cry baby on here.

We are aware of your issues with your RX's but your unsubstantiated and ridiculous comments grow tiresome.

The RX is nothing like a Camry. It is based on the same platform, but that is where the comparison ends.

The prices I quoted, btw, are for AWD. I'm not even sure they offer 2 wheel up here?

An RX is still considerably less expensive than a similarly equipped X5 and in the same ballpark as an X3 or GLK. You will not get a new X5 with similar equipment for the same price range as an RX.

The build quality of Lexus is very good. Like any manufacturer there will be vehicles that have issues or are lemons. It is unfortunate that you experienced this with Lexus, but there is too much data that supports Lexus being excellent for reliability and dependability to say the build quality is poor.

Your average age comment about Lexus drivers is ridiculous and, again, just sounds like more sour grapes.
Old 01-22-09, 05:29 PM
Btmnk21
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Why do you continue to post here?

You sound like the biggest cry baby on here.

We are aware of your issues with your RX's but your unsubstantiated and ridiculous comments grow tiresome.

The RX is nothing like a Camry. It is based on the same platform, but that is where the comparison ends.

The prices I quoted, btw, are for AWD. I'm not even sure they offer 2 wheel up here?

An RX is still considerably less expensive than a similarly equipped X5 and in the same ballpark as an X3 or GLK. You will not get a new X5 with similar equipment for the same price range as an RX.

The build quality of Lexus is very good. Like any manufacturer there will be vehicles that have issues or are lemons. It is unfortunate that you experienced this with Lexus, but there is too much data that supports Lexus being excellent for reliability and dependability to say the build quality is poor.

Your average age comment about Lexus drivers is ridiculous and, again, just sounds like more sour grapes.
Also who is considering the 2010 RX a "new" model? It's the 3rd Gen, so therefore I doubt Lexus would go in a risky direction with its mechanics, quality, or reliability. If anything it will be more well built than previous gen's. I work for in the automotive industry and we have a database called "Lesson's Learned", I'm sure Lexus does as well...
Old 01-22-09, 09:51 PM
itrcb4
Driver School Candidate

Thanks CDNROCKIES for all the trim details and pricing info.
Old 01-22-09, 10:10 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by itrcb4
Thanks CDNROCKIES for all the trim details and pricing info.
No problem.

kalvano just did an excellent review that is posted in Car Chat...some really good insight after an actual drive.
Old 01-22-09, 11:27 PM
salimshah

Received 1,046 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
You must admit, when the X5 1st came out, it was pretty un-reliable. They have worked out most of the bugs now. It takes the German a bit longer to work out the buys, but once they do, its a fantastic vehicle.
off topic, but would like to know:
Some how I got the impression that X5 is American design/built for US market. Some [can be majority of] components comes from Germany. I guess I was wrong.

Pricing:
Any body checked the prices of Accords/Camrys?

Salim
Old 01-22-09, 11:33 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by salimshah
off topic, but would like to know:
Some how I got the impression that X5 is American design/built for US market. Some [can be majority of] components comes from Germany. I guess I was wrong.

Salim
All of the X5's are built at the Spartanburg, SC, not just US market ones.
Old 01-23-09, 06:30 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Some how I got the impression that X5 is American design.
Salim
The X5 was design in the US, but I am sure it had a lot of German influence in the design.
Old 01-26-09, 03:01 PM
iluvaxes18
Driver School Candidate

For the record, D includes C but not S; as it is the luxury model, it does not have the sport tuned steering and suspension, or unique wheels. It does have the VDIM and leather wheel / ****, though.

Quick Reply: 2010 Lexus RX - Worth the Premium?