RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Venza vs. 2010 RX 350

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-09, 08:29 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

test drove a venza a while ago...it's rather long and plastic.....

Even tho they got all the gadgets...i think i still want a 09 RX...(for wifey)
Old 01-21-09, 08:35 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

The Venza is based on the Camry so it will be nothing like the 2010 RX. The interior is the only thing that looks remotely similar.
Old 01-21-09, 09:10 PM
itrcb4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We were comparing the Venza vs the 2010 RX... and I didn't like the 9+ seconds 0-60 time and wife didn't like Venza's front grill which I agreed was butt ugly.

I guess if aesthetic and beaten by a midiocre car off the light isn't important, the Venza is a great choice. For the RX though is extra $$... but hopefully worth it..
Old 01-22-09, 06:47 AM
07LexusGuy
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by COOLIS
The Venza is based on the Camry so it will be nothing like the 2010 RX. The interior is the only thing that looks remotely similar.
FYI - The RX is also based on the Camry. So too is the ES, Highlander, Sienna, Solara, and Avalon.

So the Venza being nothing like the 2010 RX is probably not because its based on the Camry.
Old 01-22-09, 06:47 AM
Junkxus
Rookie

Originally Posted by coolis
the venza is based on the camry so it will be nothing like the 2010 rx. The interior is the only thing that looks remotely similar.
the old and new lexus rx are all economy class camary based cars, same as the sienna van. Thus the funky shift setup and non luxury front wheel drive!!. The rear strut setup was modified for 2010. Other than that the roots of the rx are camary,sienna and venza. The v6 lexus engine is the same but rated with more horse power from higher octane fuel. Also, the new and old rx does not have full leather. Just the face of the seats and door armrest. Nothing more. Same as a buick. I would purchase the venza at adiscount only. 4 cly. With awd and "pleather" (plastic leather). Why would anyone pay $50k for a camary based anything!!!
Old 01-22-09, 06:49 AM
07LexusGuy
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by itrcb4
We were comparing the Venza vs the 2010 RX... and I didn't like the 9+ seconds 0-60 time and wife didn't like Venza's front grill which I agreed was butt ugly.

I guess if aesthetic and beaten by a midiocre car off the light isn't important, the Venza is a great choice. For the RX though is extra $$... but hopefully worth it..
Agreed about the front grill. I'm also cross-shopping between RX and Venza and so far, the Venza has been dropped off the list because wife thinks the grill looks like it belongs on a truck.
Old 01-22-09, 09:43 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 238 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Junkxus
the old and new lexus rx are all economy class camary based cars, same as the sienna van. Thus the funky shift setup and non luxury front wheel drive!!. The rear strut setup was modified for 2010. Other than that the roots of the rx are camary,sienna and venza. The v6 lexus engine is the same but rated with more horse power from higher octane fuel. Also, the new and old rx does not have full leather. Just the face of the seats and door armrest. Nothing more. Same as a buick. I would purchase the venza at adiscount only. 4 cly. With awd and "pleather" (plastic leather). Why would anyone pay $50k for a camary based anything!!!
Are you still lurking here? Have you returned your BMW or Mercedes or whatever you are driving these days yet? Not that any of us would discourage relevant input/opinions, for those new to the site, this guy is a whiner to the max. Can't understand his motivation to post here, so whatever he says, take it with the appropriate grain of salt.

BTW, it's spelled CAMRY!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-22-09, 10:00 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

just because its based on a camry doesnt make it any less of a luxury car. understand that.

to the common luxury driver/buyer, who the hell cares that the platform is the same, or that the engine is same. im not gonna be looking at the platform, and the engine (as long as rated in a reputable horsepower number) will serve its purpose in either brand's vehicles.

what IS important to the luxury car owner is the comfort. what he/she will be sitting on, what tech options there will be, quality of materials. and for that you cannot even begin to compare a camry with a lexus, any lexus for that matter.
Old 01-22-09, 12:10 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know, the more I read about it, the more pictures I see of it, the new Audi Q5 is really starting to look appealing. Jury will be out till I have a chance to see and test drive all three, the Venza, RX, and Q5, but the Audi reliablity has really come up. The Q5 is based on the A4 and the recent (B7 and B8) versions have been very highly rated. While I love my 05 RX, the new one, so far, has left me cold, and unimpressed.
Old 01-22-09, 01:16 PM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 238 Likes on 165 Posts

I'm in the once bitten twice shy camp. Had an Audi in the late 1980's. Granted, a long time ago and a lot has changed, but from what I see, depreciation is still an issue. Drove the one I had to a wrecking yard to get any sort of $ for it when I tried to trade it. Nothing really wrong, not that many miles, just no resale market for it. And parts prices were hideous then.
Old 01-22-09, 01:22 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Why did you pay any amount for your RX in the first place? You just had a bad experience so it spoils your perception of Lexus, and the same question could be said why do people buy 323's, c300's x3's ect. because it's the brand even though non-luxury brands offer the same, if not more for less money
Old 01-22-09, 04:32 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why do you continue to post here?

You sound like the biggest cry baby on here.

We are aware of your issues with your RX's but your unsubstantiated and ridiculous comments grow tiresome.

The RX is based on the Camry platform. Nothing else is similar.

The old RX does have full leather. Do your homework before posting things that are not true.

Quit your whining and move on.
Old 01-23-09, 05:53 AM
Junkxus
Rookie

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Why do you continue to post here?

You sound like the biggest cry baby on here.

We are aware of your issues with your RX's but your unsubstantiated and ridiculous comments grow tiresome.

The RX is based on the Camry platform. Nothing else is similar.

The old RX does have full leather. Do your homework before posting things that are not true.

Quit your whining and move on.
The Rx uses the camry engine,transmisson, alt, starter,water pump,window motors, swithches, seat motors, ecm should i continue!! And you are wrong about the RX leather, it is not full. Look at the rear of the front seats!! The map pockets are all pleather!!!! (2004-2009 model).
Old 01-23-09, 06:11 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by JasDmw
I'm in the once bitten twice shy camp. Had an Audi in the late 1980's. Granted, a long time ago and a lot has changed, but from what I see, depreciation is still an issue. Drove the one I had to a wrecking yard to get any sort of $ for it when I tried to trade it. Nothing really wrong, not that many miles, just no resale market for it. And parts prices were hideous then.
The new Audis are quite different from the 1980s models, they have made a lot of improvement in reliability. Although the resale value still lag behind Lexus a little bit, it has improved also. The new Q5 is suppose to perform like a A4, which means it will drive circles around the RX. Like any German cars, I would wait a couple of years before I would consider the Q5.
Old 01-23-09, 06:45 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The Rx uses the camry engine,transmisson, alt, starter,water pump,window motors, swithches, seat motors, ecm should i continue!! And you are wrong about the RX leather, it is not full. Look at the rear of the front seats!! The map pockets are all pleather!!!! (2004-2009 model).
They share a lot more components than most people realized, but just to be fair, it doesnt make the RX any less of a SUV. It is what it is, a entry level luxury SUV. You cant really compare it to a X5, which most people consider as one step up. Thats why I think Lexus is making a mistake by stepping up the 2010 RX into the X5's level, but thats another topic.

RX has what is called a leather trim interior, which means only the seating surface is leather.

Quick Reply: Venza vs. 2010 RX 350