RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Venza vs. 2010 RX 350

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-09, 05:48 PM
tshelly
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Venza vs. 2010 RX 350

I got my first peek at the new Toyota Venza. I own a 2009 RX 350. I have read that the Venza will be what the new 2010 RX 350 will look like. I mean the basic body style and the interior. I hope this is not true. The Venza looks like a step down from the current RX and step up from a station wagon. Sure it had the 20 inch wheels on it, but it did not seem bigger on the outside or the inside. When I got into the Venza it was more like getting into a sedan, but just a little higher. When I enter my RX it is quite step up as you would expect in an SUV.

Once inside the Venza I felt claustrophobic sitting in the drivers seat. You are like you are wraped in your own little cocoon. My RX feels more spacious and I feel more freedom of movement.

I didn't bother test driving it, because I was not impressed at all.

I hope to see the 2010 RX 350 at my local dealership in February and I will see what my impressions are after I see it and drive it.

Right now I am liking the fact that I already purchased the 2009.

Last edited by tshelly; 01-19-09 at 06:18 PM.
Old 01-19-09, 06:58 PM
meowmix52
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Uhm.. I wouldn't call them exactly alike.
The 2010 Lexus exterior is much more sporty and the interior more European and classy. But I still like the 2009 exterior better
Take a look for yourself: http://www.lexus.com/fcv/RXandRXh.html

I don't think the two are related at all, two different worlds.
The new RX is actually MORE spacious than the previous Generation RX (2 inches longer and like 1 inch wider?)
Old 01-19-09, 06:58 PM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From what I've seen on the few reviews out there it appears to me that the 2010 RX is a lot more like the 09 RX than the Venza. Not 100% sure about that but that is my impression.

Speaking of impressions, I agree. I did not like the Venza at all! I went to a Toyota dealer and, even though not 1 single sales person approached me, I still got to see the Highlander and the Venza. My first impressions of both was how cheap they feel inside. The quality of the leather is really below Lexus and the wood doesn't even seem like real wood - more like laminate.

Anyway - I was hoping to like the Highlander or Venza to save some $$ on this car but a few quick minutes in the parking lot were all I needed to feel the difference.

Jay
Old 01-19-09, 07:43 PM
07LexusGuy
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DigMyM35x
... The quality of the leather is really below Lexus and the wood doesn't even seem like real wood - more like laminate...
That's because its not real wood - Toyota cars use plastics with "wood grain" trim. The quality is certainly different. And another thing, the leather trim isn't used everywhere either, if you notice on the seats, only the top surfaces is leather, the sides are vinyl. After experiencing the two vehicles, you can now appreciate the quality and justify the price difference that the Lexus commands.

But one thing that surprises me though - the Highlander Limited has standard digital climate control for the rear seat passengers. That's right, they have and can control their own settings. The RX (current and 2010) only gives us the regular rear vents, and rear passengers get whatever the driver chooses.
Old 01-19-09, 07:56 PM
LexFather

The Venza is a cross between a Highlander and a Matrix. Its growing on me.
Old 01-19-09, 08:16 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Saw a Venza parked next to a Highlander today and was surprised at the difference. The Venza is not much taller than a Camry sedan so it looks like a sports car next to the Highlander. I really like the looks and will consider it compared to the RX450h I intended to buy when my lease is up. The Venza is like a Camry station wagon. I really hate the 20" wheels that are required with the V-6 engine. Expensive replacement tires and poor ride quality. Toyota must have a lot of kids in their design department to have made such a poor choice for wheels. I did not like the Lexus 19" wheels for the RX450h, but the Venza choice is worse. I would have bought an Infiniti FX50 except that the 21" wheels ride so poorly. A really bad choice of style over substance.
Steve
Old 01-20-09, 05:55 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 07LexusGuy
the leather trim isn't used everywhere either, if you notice on the seats, only the top surfaces is leather, the sides are vinyl. After experiencing the two vehicles, you can now appreciate the quality and justify the price difference that the Lexus commands.
Isnt Lexus the same way, only the seat surface is leather. Its pretty hard to find a full leather these days that use leather in the seating surface, sides and back, you would have to get up to the $100K range to find seats like that.
Old 01-20-09, 02:57 PM
tshelly
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Isnt Lexus the same way, only the seat surface is leather. Its pretty hard to find a full leather these days that use leather in the seating surface, sides and back, you would have to get up to the $100K range to find seats like that.
I just spoke with Lexus and they said everything is leather. I looked at mine and there does not seem to be any difference in the seating surface, sides, and back.
Old 01-20-09, 03:04 PM
meowmix52
Driver

Originally Posted by tshelly
I just spoke with Lexus and they said everything is leather. I looked at mine and there does not seem to be any difference in the seating surface, sides, and back.
i second that. the gx has full leather seating in all rows. front and back.
Old 01-20-09, 03:32 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

I really lke the Venzas. The new Rx... well, I won't say anything till I see one in person, but first glance at the new design on paper was pretty dissapointing.
Old 01-20-09, 05:45 PM
dave2K
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Two different vehicles

I was at the Detroit auto show yesterday and had the opportunity to check out both the Venza and the 2010 RX. I like the Venza but it is no Lexus. I think it is a nice size and attractive. I came away thinking "Toyota is going to sell a lot of these". In spite of the large wheels, the handling should be aided by a lower center of gravity. The RX was quite luxurious and impressive. My perception was that it was noticeably larger than the prior gen. It looked significantly wider and longer. I'm sure I would not like the nav system interface. They've moved the LCD screen closer to the front of the car and eliminated the touch screen and replaced it with an interface that works much like a computer mouse. I use a computer all day and the mouse gadget still annoyed me. To me the new system seems like a step back from a touch screen. In some cases new technology is a step backward and I think that applies here. I expect my passenger would be annoyed if I were to ask them to use the mouse interface if they are right handed. Anyone can use a touch screen with their R or L hand, but try using a mouse with your off hand. It definitely reminded me of the BMW interface that raised a lot of complaints a few years back. Regarding the vehicles, if you want luxury and don't mind an SUV with a higher price, go for the RX. If you want a crossover that isn't the height of luxury, go for the Venza. I think they are both excellent vehicles and I could be happy with either.
Old 01-21-09, 12:03 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

i drove the venza and felt it drove like the rx which is to say boring.
Old 01-21-09, 09:18 AM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

driving impressions should be very RX like seeing as how transmission and engine are shared. however, actually sitting in it should be very different as you cant compare quality of materials between toyota and lexus cars. lets just say, once you sit in a lexus, you will most certainly be disapointed in a toyota
Old 01-21-09, 02:59 PM
meowmix52
Driver

Originally Posted by RXSF
driving impressions should be very RX like seeing as how transmission and engine are shared. however, actually sitting in it should be very different as you cant compare quality of materials between toyota and lexus cars. lets just say, once you sit in a lexus, you will most certainly be disapointed in a toyota
for some strange reason i feel that my '05 honda accord EX feels on par with my GX, quality wise. the handling and suspension is nice and sporty, even though it is a budget sedan, i am just still amazed with how great a deal the accord is.
Old 01-21-09, 05:19 PM
dave2K
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Honda handling

I've had a number of Hondas and a number of Toyotas, and within car classes, Honda consistently wins the handling / fun to drive competition. I think it is totally by design. Honda goes for a sporty ride while Toyota goes for a smoother ride. The same applies at the Acura / Lexus level.

Quick Reply: Venza vs. 2010 RX 350