RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Weird looking front panel on 2010 RX 350

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-09, 05:46 PM
tshelly
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Weird looking front panel on 2010 RX 350

Is it me or does the front quarter panel look strange. That angle coming from the headlight to the wheel well looks odd. http://www.netcarshow.com/lexus/2010...llpaper_04.htm

More Pictures here: http://www.netcarshow.com/lexus/2010-rx_350/
Old 02-06-09, 12:50 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Strange in the eye of the beholder but I know what you mean. There was 1 in the dealer showroom the other day when I had my car in. Not sure I like those creases/angles down the side panel. It struck me as much boxier than before. But it was shiny
Old 02-06-09, 05:35 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

It looks kind of like the Nissan Murano's front quarter panel. The new RX's roof line is starting to look more and more like the CRX.
Old 02-06-09, 09:39 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Everything looks "strange" in a picture as you examine it longer. In person, you really don't pick up the "funny" things that you did when you looked at the pictures, and then end up picking up other "strange" things.

Because the whole front bumper now is so big and the headlights ride higher than the wheel well, that "line" has to travel somewhere. Can't be horizontal to ground anymore, so either straight angle like this, or "L" cut somehow, which would, I think, look even stranger.

Saw a light grey and white/creme RX350, and mica RX450H at a "Lexus:inspired" event last night and my opinions on the look changed. One of those vehicles where it looks better in person than on pictures. Seeing the official phots, I thought the whole front bottom end would be a big bloated cow, but in person it doesn't stand out actually. It does have a "Highlander" looking front end, but not as square.

My wife liked it, she was already itching to trade our RX300 in. She likes the more luxurious and supple seats, along with the gadgetry (NAV, mouse, overhead display) and the extra rear space. There is more space in the trunk area, but surely not enough for a mid-cycle addition of 3rd row So, for those hoping for a 3rd row (like me)... not happening.

Last edited by AlexusAnja; 02-07-09 at 05:05 AM. Reason: Everything looks "strange" in a picture as you examine it longer.
Old 02-06-09, 08:34 PM
tshelly
Rookie

Smile

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Everything looks "strange" in a picture and you examine it too long.
It didn't take long. I clicked on the picture and I noticed it as soon as I saw it.
Old 02-06-09, 09:09 PM
bobbyt01nc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tshelly
It didn't take long. I clicked on the picture and I noticed it as soon as I saw it.
it didn't take me long either to notice...the longer I look at it the more it resembles the Sante Fe by hyundai for some reason. Is there an idention between the f / r doors on the lower part?
I'm sure if was about to buy one i would be like is the baddest thing i have ever seen so its easy for me to be a little judgemental by pictures as well. The interior seems cool though. Someone mentioned LED lights on this vehicle? wow...like the Audi's??
Old 02-07-09, 05:06 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

edited my message, what I meant was "Everything looks "strange" in a picture as you examine it longer." as you examine in longer, not "and you examined it longer."

If it was noticable for you immediately, then I guess it is bad...

As for indentation on the lower doors, I believe there was and of course at certain angles it's not that noticeable. On the opposing side of the door, because the trim does not fit the whole door, there are bigger outer door overhand and it's not covered fully so you see metal stampings. Can't really explain it, have to see it. Looks cheap to me.
Old 02-07-09, 12:50 PM
tshelly
Rookie

Originally Posted by bobbyt01nc
Is there an identation between the f / r doors on the lower part?
It looks like it. It is very slight on the front door and is more indented as it gets closer to the back wheel well.
Old 02-07-09, 12:55 PM
tshelly
Rookie

On the opposing side of the door, because the trim does not fit the whole door, there are bigger outer door overhand and it's not covered fully so you see metal stampings. Can't really explain it, have to see it. Looks cheap to me.
I see what you mean. Here is a picture I found showing the top of that indentation: http://www.netcarshow.com/lexus/2010...llpaper_4d.htm
Old 02-07-09, 04:22 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default Door handle

I see what you mean. Here is a picture I found showing the top of that indentation: http://www.netcarshow.com/lexus/2010...llpaper_4d.htm
I wasn't talking about the door handle, but if you're talking about that little indent on the front leading edge of the door handle, on the top, then yes, that is there too. Just little indents here and there that make it look strange too...
Old 02-07-09, 07:27 PM
tshelly
Rookie

I wasn't talking about the door handle
I am not talking about the door handle either. If you look at the bottom of the picture you will see the indentation that travels along the lower part of the door panel.
Old 02-07-09, 07:50 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These were never attractive vehicles.
Old 02-07-09, 10:17 PM
07LexusGuy
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wasn't talking about the door handle, but if you're talking about that little indent on the front leading edge of the door handle, on the top, then yes, that is there too. Just little indents here and there that make it look strange too...
I believe that indentation on the leading edge of the door handle is for the new smart key system. Its the touch sensor that does the function of the black rubber buttons on the current smart key handles.
Old 02-08-09, 05:21 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default doink

I am not talking about the door handle either. If you look at the bottom of the picture you will see the indentation that travels along the lower part of the door panel.
Are you talking about the red circle? If so, did not really notice if there was any indent or crease looking thing there. When I saw the little indent (green circle) I did look more into the area but didn't see anything weird. Could be the lighting and angle.

As previous person noted, that little indent is for the new smart access. You hover your finger over that indent to lock the door.
Attached Thumbnails Weird looking front panel on 2010 RX 350-lexus_door.jpg  
Old 02-08-09, 07:12 AM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Look at the bottom left corner of the picture. That is the indentation.
Jeff

Quick Reply: Weird looking front panel on 2010 RX 350