RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Took delivery earlier today: 2010 RX350 FWD

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-09, 11:59 AM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

chances are in Canada. you have to buy the Hybrid and then its from Japan. Although there are some weird separations by color choice as well
Old 02-14-09, 02:21 PM
RhoXS
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heard a rumor a few weeks ago that the 2010 model does not cripple the Nav system when under way. I certainly do not expect this rumor to be true but I have to ask about it now that someone has their hands on the real thing.
Old 02-14-09, 04:03 PM
Peterun
Pit Crew

Received 87 Likes on 39 Posts

RESPONDING . . . Just drove back from Palm Springs . . .MPG dropped down to 27.3 on the return to Los Angeles. Winds? Still pretty fine.
For RhoXS: Pretty sure the Nav system will not take manual input while underway. Frankly, the voice activation system is so incredible, it's actually easier to use than manual input. Also . . .when pushing the voice activation button on the steering wheel twice, it eliminates the need to listen to full voice menus. Very fast to operate. Same thing when using phone.
My RX was manufactured in Japan . . and evidenced by the MSRP and the "J" as the first letter in the VIN.
I deliberately listened for engine noise; I deliberately looked for vibration. There is none of the above at speed. Very very little while accelerating. Sounds and feels as though the engine is far away. Zero issues thus far, other than the rear luggage cover, which rattled a bit . . which I removed. p
Old 02-14-09, 04:39 PM
budyl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SoCal dealers almost all FWD, made in Japan, for now.

I visited a few dealers today in Orange county and was impressed with the drive. No AWD, only FWD. They told me most AWD would be in northern calif for now. Also, all the models I saw had JT VINs, indicating california right now is getting only japan builds. The dealers say that will change over time, if thats of interest. I currently drive an AWD RX330 2004 for comparison.
Old 02-14-09, 06:51 PM
Peterun
Pit Crew

Default Confirmed:

2010 RX must be at standstill to control certain functions on nav. screen, including creating a new address. Again, voice direction is superior to any system I have seen thus far. That system allows the driver to access and control all functions while driving. p
Old 02-15-09, 07:48 AM
ciparis
Rookie

Picked mine up last night from Lexus of Marin (my second purchase from there -- favorite dealer ever in my almost-40 years, great trade-in values and no BS). I traded my '06 IS 250 for it (dealer gave me 21,200 for auto+nav RWD model w/premium + standard sound -- very good trade price when nobody else would go over 20k, but then again I bought it from them so I'm now a repeat customer).

AWD model with nav, 12-speaker sound, heated/vented seats, 19" wheels, and remote start (that was a surprise to all of us; we didn't notice until my wife asked about the "engine starter" text on the keychain while we were doing paperwork, and I ran out and tried it). Price was 47,200. Made in Japan.

First impressions: this thing handles!! I had recently been driving a loaner 2003 GS300, and this is far better on the road. We took it on a trip through Lucas Valley road and it performed better than I expected; smooth and composed at all times. It was easy to find us going way over the speed limit unless I paid close attention to keeping it down. Very good acceleration as well. Surprisingly gutsy exhaust note.

It feels light and nimble, not huge and lumbering. Crappy California grooved highway noise is well dampened (something the IS is terrible at by comparison and a big reason for my trade).

I'm still learning how the gadgets work. The iPod interface supports playlists, though I had to dig a bit to find them. My iPhone's phone book transferred in via USB (it failed to detect the end of the transfer.. just give it a couple of minutes and it'll probably be finished). The car also supports Bluetooth Audio (something the iPhone doesn't do, but several other phones offer it).

It's Smoky Granite (dark gray -- very nice color). The Cerulean Blue was tempting coming from my Breakwater Blue IS, but it's just a tad more pastel now and I didn't find it a good match for the large RX.

Trying to decide where to take it today more as we go.
Old 02-15-09, 08:42 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ciparis
Picked mine up last night from Lexus of Marin (my second purchase from there -- favorite dealer ever in my almost-40 years, great trade-in values and no BS). I traded my '06 IS 250 for it (dealer gave me 21,200 for auto+nav RWD model w/premium + standard sound -- very good trade price when nobody else would go over 20k, but then again I bought it from them so I'm now a repeat customer).

AWD model with nav, 12-speaker sound, heated/vented seats, 19" wheels, and remote start (that was a surprise to all of us; we didn't notice until my wife asked about the "engine starter" text on the keychain while we were doing paperwork, and I ran out and tried it). Price was 47,200. Made in Japan.

First impressions: this thing handles!! I had recently been driving a loaner 2003 GS300, and this is far better on the road. We took it on a trip through Lucas Valley road and it performed better than I expected; smooth and composed at all times. It was easy to find us going way over the speed limit unless I paid close attention to keeping it down. Very good acceleration as well. Surprisingly gutsy exhaust note.

It feels light and nimble, not huge and lumbering. Crappy California grooved highway noise is well dampened (something the IS is terrible at by comparison and a big reason for my trade).

I'm still learning how the gadgets work. The iPod interface supports playlists, though I had to dig a bit to find them. My iPhone's phone book transferred in via USB (it failed to detect the end of the transfer.. just give it a couple of minutes and it'll probably be finished). The car also supports Bluetooth Audio (something the iPhone doesn't do, but several other phones offer it).

It's Smoky Granite (dark gray -- very nice color). The Cerulean Blue was tempting coming from my Breakwater Blue IS, but it's just a tad more pastel now and I didn't find it a good match for the large RX.

Trying to decide where to take it today more as we go.
Congrats!!

Btw was Mark Levinson also available? - Because I was trying to find it on lexus.com, i tried many zip codes but I didn't find any pricing for it..
Old 02-15-09, 08:52 AM
ciparis
Rookie

No Mark Levinson, no HUD to be found. HID also is extremely rare. That's my only complaint so far; with the pairing of HID to the auto-aiming headlights, most vehicles are stuck with halogen, which simply does not belong on a $47k SUV. I'll have to find some sort of aftermarket improvement.
Old 02-15-09, 08:59 AM
Peterun
Pit Crew

Ciparis: Re: the HID issue . . . I consistently use my fog lights at night. Really enhances the non-HID lights. You might try it. . . Works nicely. p
Old 02-15-09, 09:44 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Peterun
2010 RX must be at standstill to control certain functions on nav. screen, including creating a new address. Again, voice direction is superior to any system I have seen thus far. That system allows the driver to access and control all functions while driving. p
Good to hear, if there is still lockout, better voice recog can compensate for it.
Old 02-15-09, 10:22 PM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

Looks nice.....congrats on your new Purchase......
Old 02-16-09, 11:10 AM
itrcb4
Driver School Candidate

Any Canadian here taken delivery already?
Old 02-22-09, 05:20 AM
98OysterES
Driver

Originally Posted by ciparis
No Mark Levinson, no HUD to be found. HID also is extremely rare. That's my only complaint so far; with the pairing of HID to the auto-aiming headlights, most vehicles are stuck with halogen, which simply does not belong on a $47k SUV. I'll have to find some sort of aftermarket improvement.
No HIDs in you neck of the woods? You can't get one in NJ without HIDs! Wow ... that does suck. We just picked up the 2010 RX250 AWD w/ Nav, Premium, Comfort, Wood Wheel & Shifter ... and I was pissed that the Sport Package was a rare find .... only 5% of the build in the North East is with the sports package.
MSRP: $46,775 .... paid $44,000

My dealer did find me the RX with our color choices and Nav & Sports package ... but you loose your wood wheel & shift ****. ... os we opted for one without the sports package ... and I'll get the 19" wheels at a later date when they become more readily available & reasonably priced!

Last edited by 98OysterES; 02-22-09 at 05:24 AM.
Old 02-22-09, 03:41 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 98OysterES
We just picked up the 2010 RX250 AWD
Did you mean RX350?
Old 02-23-09, 09:16 AM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have spent about 48 hours with the new RX. My opinion has changed, I like it much better now. I find it handles much better than than our 08 AWD. The new RX feels more sure footed on the road, like it has a lower center of gravity, also seems to be a bit roomier. The previous RX seems so narrow after driving the 2010.
My only complaint in comparison to the previous RX is I miss the higher grade trim on the doors, less interior wood, and there is definitely more engine noise when accelerating than in the previous model, yet it's quieter on the road. The pro's out weigh the con's in favor of the 2010. I am glad Peterun's postings convinced me to take a second look. I was very disappointed at first.

Quick Reply: Took delivery earlier today: 2010 RX350 FWD