RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Took delivery earlier today: 2010 RX350 FWD

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-09, 10:11 AM
budyl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Note for Californians seeking HID

If you go to the build your lexus site now, they added the adaptive lighting, HID, and auto high beam as a shipped option. adds $1175. AWD models only though. OK with me since I'm waiting to get an AWD with the AFS and HID. Seems like a quick option package change after only 2 weeks availability in CA. Lexus must have heard some customer feedback and the request for HID lights.
Old 03-21-09, 04:24 PM
Blueclaw
Driver School Candidate

Default Wind Noise

picked up my 2010 RX350 tdoay.. so far so good except the wind noise which is buggin me. I'm a bit disappointed. unsure if it is a design issue. the window (driver side) seems to me is shut up tight. As i am driving at speeds above 60 i placed my hand around the top of the window and feel no air coming thru. not sure where it's coming from or even if is happening on the passenger side too since I was the only one in the car.

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Congrats on your new RX.

Interesting comments on the wind noise. There have been several comments in Car Chat that the new RX is significantly quieter than the older models. It would be interesting to see actual decibel levels, but that's probably asking to much for Lexus to test.
Old 03-21-09, 08:37 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueclaw
picked up my 2010 RX350 tdoay.. so far so good except the wind noise which is buggin me. I'm a bit disappointed. unsure if it is a design issue. the window (driver side) seems to me is shut up tight. As i am driving at speeds above 60 i placed my hand around the top of the window and feel no air coming thru. not sure where it's coming from or even if is happening on the passenger side too since I was the only one in the car.
Blue, I have driven two of the 2010's now, one we kept for several days. I am sad to say there is wind noise in the new RX and when accelerating from a dead stop there is more engine noise than in our present 2007 RX. Aside from that I like the new RX much better. I wish it could have been of higher quality. From all the problems Lexus has experienced with the new LS buy back due to wind noise you would think this would have been better thought out.
Old 03-22-09, 06:11 AM
Blueclaw
Driver School Candidate

Thought I did my homework enuf by test driving 2 times and reading up. I'm sure I drove more than 50 mph during the test drives and didn't hear any noise. but i can't be sure given my xcitement and looking for other things during the ride. anyway, now here I am. I'm going to call the dealer this coming week and ask him about the noise and see what he says.

Originally Posted by DNC
Blue, I have driven two of the 2010's now, one we kept for several days. I am sad to say there is wind noise in the new RX and when accelerating from a dead stop there is more engine noise than in our present 2007 RX. Aside from that I like the new RX much better. I wish it could have been of higher quality. From all the problems Lexus has experienced with the new LS buy back due to wind noise you would think this would have been better thought out.
Old 03-23-09, 07:29 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

DNC, didnt Lexus have a TSB for the wind noise in the LS. Maybe they will put out a TSB for the new RX soon.
Old 03-23-09, 02:54 PM
DNC
Advanced

Originally Posted by The G Man
DNC, didnt Lexus have a TSB for the wind noise in the LS. Maybe they will put out a TSB for the new RX soon.
I am afraid a TSB isn't going to fix the engine noise I hear at acceleration. Doesn't it seem with the wind noise problems Lexus was experiencing with the LS they would have worked out the bugs for the new RX?
As I read the other Lexus forums I see a pattern with wind noise.
Old 03-23-09, 03:57 PM
tigerbait
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DNC
I am afraid a TSB isn't going to fix the engine noise I hear at acceleration. Doesn't it seem with the wind noise problems Lexus was experiencing with the LS they would have worked out the bugs for the new RX?
As more new 2010's are purchased if there is a wind noise issue hopefully the new owners will chime in. Hope we don't have our very own wind noise thread. But if we do, will you be there for us Mr. JMCRANEY? (If you haven't
followed the LS wind noise thread it reads like a good book.)
Old 03-23-09, 04:20 PM
DNC
Advanced

Originally Posted by tigerbait
As more new 2010's are purchased if there is a wind noise issue hopefully the new owners will chime in. Hope we don't have our very own wind noise thread. But if we do, will you be there for us Mr. JMCRANEY? (If you haven't
followed the LS wind noise thread it reads like a good book.)
Yes, it does and JMCRANEY did a great job. Maybe Lexus should have consulted him when designing the new RX.
Old 03-23-09, 04:38 PM
Blueclaw
Driver School Candidate

This is my 1st Lexus and pardon my ignorance but who is JMCRANEY?

I wanted to ride around a bit more before I call the dealer to officially express my concern re the wind noise. I'm really trying to be reasonable and somewhat come to terms that there might be some slight noise. Even my Mercedes E320 isn't completely soundproof but nothing like the RX350 I bought. Think I'll call tomorrow and go on the record with the dealer. I just don't want them telling me to bring it in when they know it can't be resolved. Is it a design flaw? The window seems pretty tight.

Anyway, I do like the ride very much.. it's just that darn noise. My daughter is digging me bringing her to school and she loves the IPOD connection gadget..

Originally Posted by DNC
Yes, it does and JMCRANEY did a great job. Maybe Lexus should have consulted him when designing the new RX.
Old 03-23-09, 04:58 PM
tigerbait
Rookie

Originally Posted by Blueclaw
This is my 1st Lexus and pardon my ignorance but who is JMCRANEY?

I wanted to ride around a bit more before I call the dealer to officially express my concern re the wind noise. I'm really trying to be reasonable and somewhat come to terms that there might be some slight noise. Even my Mercedes E320 isn't completely soundproof but nothing like the RX350 I bought. Think I'll call tomorrow and go on the record with the dealer. I just don't want them telling me to bring it in when they know it can't be resolved. Is it a design flaw? The window seems pretty tight.

Anyway, I do like the ride very much.. it's just that darn noise. My daughter is digging me bringing her to school and she loves the IPOD connection gadget..
Sorry about your noise problem. JMCRANEY researched the LS wind noise problem and resolved the issue for many LS owners. Go to the LS460 forum
and on the second page is the " LS wind noise fix" discussion. Your impression
of Lexus may change somewhat.
Old 03-24-09, 06:29 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by DNC
The engine noise may be due to the fact that its a new engine, I would give it a few more thousand miles before I would be concern.
Lexus today is not the Lexus of old, they do not fix their problem at the factory anymore. The bean counter at Lexus decided that its cheaper to fix it with a TSB than to retool the production line. The LS may have been a different story since its their flag ship model, but problems on models such as GS, ES, RX and GX goes on for years. Lexus knows what the problem is because they have a TSB for it, but it takes them years and years to make the change at the factory.
Old 03-24-09, 04:57 PM
DNC
Advanced

Originally Posted by The G Man
The engine noise may be due to the fact that its a new engine, I would give it a few more thousand miles before I would be concern.
Lexus today is not the Lexus of old, they do not fix their problem at the factory anymore. The bean counter at Lexus decided that its cheaper to fix it with a TSB than to retool the production line. The LS may have been a different story since its their flag ship model, but problems on models such as GS, ES, RX and GX goes on for years. Lexus knows what the problem is because they have a TSB for it, but it takes them years and years to make the change at the factory.
Mercedes just leads the customer into a dark room and seats them under a light at a table and says, "Repeat after me, There is nothing wrong with the car". After you can say this without blinking you are allowed to leave.
Seriously, The noise I have heard doesn't seem to be an indication of anything wrong, just a need for more sound deadening material.
Old 03-24-09, 10:56 PM
tigerbait
Rookie

Originally Posted by DNC
Mercedes just leads the customer into a dark room and seats them under a light at a table and says, "Repeat after me, There is nothing wrong with the car". After you can say this without blinking you are allowed to leave.
Seriously, The noise I have heard doesn't seem to be an indication of anything wrong, just a need for more sound deadening material.
BMW is a little different. They swing a watch in front of your face and say
"You do not see the check engine light. It doesn't exist."
Old 03-25-09, 12:38 AM
ColdLexus
Driver

Looks and sounds nice.
Old 03-25-09, 04:59 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dnc
peterun,

please keep us posted on your continuning impression. I found it a bit encouring after a great disappointment yesterday when i test drove a new rx. I first put my elderly parents in an rx back in 2004 with the new 330, then again in 2007 with an rx 350. They have loved it. I thought it would be business as usual with the 2010 rx350 but when i test drove one yesterday i found the engine noise, road noise, and wind noise much worse than in their 2007 rx. I was sick when i left the dealership. Having them in a dependable and safe car had made my life much more stress free. Now i don't know what to do. The exterior of the rx is okay but my mother really doesn't care for the interior of the new rx with much less handsome wood surfaces. The quality is a step down. We also had counted on the seats having the option of the extending seat cushion as found in other lexus models. Maybe reports of fuel mileage like you report will help me get over the disappointment. In the meantime i am sick about having to look a different vehicle for them. I hope your report helps convince me to take a second look.
i completely agree with you r assesment of the interior being a step down. Where is the handsome wood treatment, what were the engineers thinking ?? It does seem that the leather is softer, perhaps they changed the tanning process or went with a different supplier.

Quick Reply: Took delivery earlier today: 2010 RX350 FWD