RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

If you buy a 2010 RX350...

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-09, 07:35 AM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hal56
My dealer appears to be too lazy to special order--they are "looking" at their allocation.

I am going to a different dealer tomorrow and even if it takes longer I may switch to the other dealer. Just a bit upset.

Gor the folks that did special order like yourself, how did you negotiate price before pricing was out? Did you obtain a discount?

I did not negotiate anything formally yet. At the time that I ordered (early March), there was no pricing available. However, I was promised that I would definitely get a nice discount since I have been a loyal customer for years. I imagine that I will get at least $2-3K off the MSRP.

Last edited by PatsSoxfan; 05-01-09 at 07:38 AM.
Old 05-04-09, 11:08 AM
PKMet
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fulani
Dealership in NC....

You can purchase a car out of state, and then hire someone to bring your car. Alot of companies out there who do that, max is about 800 in shipping. You will have to pay for Taxes in your state.

Example: 42,000 Cost of Vehicle
2,500 Tax in your state of AZ
1,000 Shipping fee

Total 45,500.

You will not have to pay taxes in the state in which you buy, so TTL is void
Wouldn't you have to pay to have the license plate and registration changed to Arizona though if you bought a new car in another state?
Old 05-04-09, 11:19 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by PKMet
Wouldn't you have to pay to have the license plate and registration changed to Arizona though if you bought a new car in another state?
Yes, they would.

If I read this thread right, I think we're talking about scoring deals in another states, that even with the transportation charge, would be cheaper to buy say in NC vs. AZ from the dealer (setting aside taxes).

I remember one of my buddies with a Corvette telling me there used to be some dealer in Ohio people would go to get a new Vette due to their pricing + transportation charge being better than getting it local.

In addition, I know people here in Florida that can't 'easily' get an AWD vehicle at dealerships (for a variety of reasons) and end up going up north to get one rather than deal with local dealer BS.
Old 05-04-09, 11:59 AM
tfischer
Forum Moderator

Received 230 Likes on 170 Posts

The out of state "deals" that involve lower "shipping charges" are not deals at all; the dealer pays a lower shipping charge because he is closer to the factory, but the buyer has to get it home somehow.
Secondly, I thought we all knew that a buyer will pay sales tax somewhere, usually in the state where the vehicle is titled. If you pay sales tax in the state of purchase because the rate is lower, your home state will charge you the increment when you register for plates. I'm not sure if you get a refund if the reverse (or converse) is true, but these days I would doubt it. In any event, you will not avoid sales tax.
However, if you buy any new car in 2009 (or at least through Nov of 2009 - check your copy of the new tax code for details), foreign or domestic, the sales tax you actually pay is a deduction (not a credit) on your 2009 tax return, so the sales tax you pay is effectively reduced by your marginal tax rate - not really much on a new car purchase, but it's something.
Finally, you may have to shop out of state if you are looking for an AWD car in a front wheel drive area. For example, FL and GA get few AWD cars, while cars sold in states in New England, Ohio, Michigan, etc are almost all AWD. Shopping out of state in these circumstances might make sense, although dealers do have a system of exchanging cars, although usually not cars on their lots but cars in the process of being delivered to them, often while they are on the boat.
Old 05-04-09, 01:19 PM
Hal56
Pole Position

I have an older vette ('99) and back then at least there were Dealers in Detroit and Northern FL that moved a lot of vettes due to pricing.

The Vette is made in Bowling Green KY and offers delivery there which is suppossed to be pretty nice as its waiting for you at the end of the assembly line.

So the point is with RX if you can find a dealer reasonably close that discounts enough where its worth the time and hassle then go do it.

The issue is different for each of us. I trade stocks for a living so I really cannot afford a 3 day drive back home as I think I can make more than enough to make up for the cost of buying locally.

On the other hand, if I am going someplace for a vacation for a couple of weeks and can buy a car at a discount AND save car rental costs--even better.
Old 05-04-09, 02:13 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Carachi
Hmm, first post, been wandering this forum a while though. My purchase was made at Stevinson Lexus of Frederick Colorado. This is my families 12th Lexus purchase, but first in Colorado.

Just placed the deposit on the purchase of my 2010 RX350 AWD. MSRP $47963 paid $45563 ($2400 off), no trade in. Vehicle has the Heads up Display and will be delivered April 1st or so. Starfire Pearl with Gray interior. I had to be a bit of a tough customer to get the discount and walk away with the HUD, especially since I initially had them set for trading my 2004 RX330 and then sold it to a co-worker. Also I didn't really want the HUD so much as the car that had the minimum of all the features I had to have and was also allocated to them came with the HUD, and it seemed cool enough that MSRP on it wasn't going to push me away.

Upgraded features were the HUD, Navigation, 19" Alloy wheels, "Premium Package", Tow Prep package, Leather trimmed steering wheel/shift, glass breakage sensors, remote start, wheel locks and cross bars for the rack.

I am curious what people are paying for the dealer priced options though, so anyone else with their invoice and dealer priced things should chime in.

On my spec sheet I have:
Glass Breakage Sensors - $205
Remote Engine Start - $375
Wheel Locks - $81
Cross Bars - $259
Wow, $47,963 RX with HUD and 19". This is very special configuration and I'm glad to know your dealer can get this type of setup.

I should move there... Sigh...
Old 05-04-09, 02:14 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BLK98GS3
I was at the Stevens Creek Lexus yesterday looking for an RX350. We were able to get the price down to $40,105 for a 2010 with navigation, fwd without the comfort package. Invoice on it was $38,745. We went to Fremont Lexus later and they said they could not come near that price. Seems like a good deal no?

What are some prices that other people have been getting?

May I know what's MSRP for this one? It's hard for me to compare it with others by Inovice numbers.

Thanks.
Old 05-04-09, 04:47 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PKMet
No. The out of state dealer can issue temporary tags sans all the other fees so you can get the car where it needs to be (assuming you're driving). If not, throw it on a flatbed.

I did this when I bought a car in Nevada even though I lived in AZ. They issued me a 7 day tag.
Old 05-05-09, 08:17 PM
PKMet
Driver School Candidate

Can someone please help me? I need to find out what the dealer "cost" is on this car. Below is the sticker with pricing and all the features. I was told I get the car at the dealer's cost due to working in another area of the company. I just started pricing these and this seems pretty high for their cost.

Please advise...

Vehicle Base Model ....................: $ 38200.00
Total Accessories .....................: $ 8455.00

# PERFORMANCE FEATURES
* 3.5 Liter 275HP Four Cam 24-Valve V6 Engine
with Variable Valve Timing (VVT-i)
* 6-Sp Automatic Transmission w/"Snow Mode"
* Full Time Active Torque Control All-Wheel Drive
System
* Column-assist Type Electric Power Steering
* 4-Wheel Power Assisted Ventilated Front & Solid
Rear Disc Brakes
* 18" Aluminum Alloy Wheels
# SAFETY FEATURES
* Dual Advanced Front Airbags, Driver & Passenger''s
Knee Airbag, Front & Rear Side Curtain Airbags
Front & Rear Seat Mounted Side Airbags
* 3-Point Safety Belts for All Seating Positions
* Front Seat Belt Pretensioners w/ Force Limiters
and Manual Height Adjustment Anchors
* Front Active Headrests
* 4-Wheel Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS) with
Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD), Brake
Assist (BA) / Vehicle Stability Control (VSC)
* Energy Managing Crumple Zones, Side Door Beams
* Vehicle Theft-Deterrent Sys w/Engine Immobilizer
* Automatic On/Off Headlamps / Integrated Fog Lamps
* Daytime Running Lamps (DRL)
* Variable Front Intermittent Wipers
* Tire Pressure Monitoring System
* Tool Kit and First Aid Kit
# LUXURY AND CONVENIENCE FEATURES
* Lexus Premium Audio System, Automatic Sound
Levelizer (ASL), and In-Dash Single Feed 6-Disc
CD Auto-Changer, In-Glass Antenna w/FM Diversity
System, Bluetooth Technology, XM Satelite Radio
(includes a 90-day trial subscription)
* Auto Dual Zone Climate Control Sys w/Rear Vents
* 10-Way Power Driver''s & Front Passenger''s Seats
* Power Tilt-and-Telescopic Steering Column
* Height Adjustable Headrests for All Seats
* Reclining/Sliding 40/20/40 Split Rear Seat
* 3-Spoke Steering Wheel with Audio Controls
* Cruise Control
* One-Touch Up/Down Pwr. Windows w/Pinch Protection
* Power Door Locks with Anti-Lock Out Feature
* Lexus Homelink Universal Transceiver
* SmartAccess Passive Entry System
* Rear Black Privacy Glass/Integrated Rear Spoiler
* Genuine Wood Interior Trim
* Premium Roof Rails
* LCD Screen for Ventilation, Audio Settings
* Multi-Information Display with Lexus Personalized
Settings, Trip Computer and Outside Temperature
Display
* Tonneau Cover
* Rear Bumper Protector
* Sliding Center Console
* Carpeted Floor Mats
Retail
Vehicle Base Model ..........................:$ 38200.00
12-speaker Premium Audio System for Navigatio 110.00
w/Auto Sound Levelizer, In-Dash 6-Disc CD Cha
19" Aluminum Alloy Wheels .................. 660.00
Heads Up Display ........................... 1200.00
Heated and Ventilated Front Seats .......... 640.00
Navigation System Includes: Hard Disc Drive 2440.00
Navigation System with Voice Command, Backup
Monitor, XM NavTraffic & NavWeather ........
(includes 90-day trial subscription) .......
Premium Package Includes: Leather Trim Interi 2400.00
One-Touch Open/Close Moonroof, Auto-Dimming
Electrochromic Power Heated Outside Mirrors,
Power Rear Door, MP3 Mini-Plug w/USB Audio Pl
Tow Prep Package: Transmission Cooler, Heavy 238.00
Alternator & Radiator (ball mount not include
Wood & Leather-trimmed Steering Wheel & Shift 330.00
Wheel Locks ................................ 81.00
Glass Breakage Sensors (GBS) ............... 205.00
Cargo Net .................................. 59.00
Cargo Mat .................................. 92.00
---------
Total Accessories ...........................: $ 8455.00

Total .......................................:$ 47530.00

Remote Start (installed) $ 701.00

$ 48329.00 +t&l
Old 05-05-09, 08:39 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

$38,200, this is AWD model. (I thought you're looking for FWD.)

No Comfort Pkg, but it's with the heated & ventilated seats.

Heads Up Display ........................... 1200.00

Wow, this is what I love to have, but cannot find a single $47K RX with this feature here. Great job to find it. (I found 51K and 53K which do have this...)

Remote Start (installed) $ 701.00

This is the dealer installation. The factory Remote Engine Start is about $375.
Old 05-05-09, 11:12 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

to find invoice cost to dealer, simply go to a site like edmunds.com and configure your "new" car. it will give you the true cost to the dealer
Old 05-06-09, 01:14 AM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RXSF
to find invoice cost to dealer, simply go to a site like edmunds.com and configure your "new" car. it will give you the true cost to the dealer
and don't forget to check and see if there is any kind of dealer holdback which is an extra bit of money for the dealer padded into the invoice price. Sometimes Edmunds doesn't have it. If they don't, consumer reports generally does.
Old 05-06-09, 07:51 AM
snoboat1
Driver School Candidate

Please let me know where you have gotten those, what were the original MSRP? I am in the Sacramento area
Old 05-06-09, 08:09 AM
snoboat1
Driver School Candidate

Default Prices and problems.

Originally Posted by Btmnk21
I want to start a thread to post purchase price (not MSRP, but how much you paid) and options. I think it will give people a good idea of what to expect when they go in to the dealer since sites like kbb.com and edmunds.com are lacking information at the moment.

Post away you 2010 owners!
I have been shopping in the Northern Cali area Lexus of Pleasanton will go $2000 over invoice, Lexus Reno $1500 discount, Lexus of Roseville, $1500 Discount. Work on it.

The reason I am looking to buy is because I am trying to get out of a perfectly good 2007 RX400 that I bought in January. Perfectly good except the dealer, Lexus of Concord installed a tow hitch on the car so I could tow my 3000 lb ski boat.

Why is that bad? Well this car has the Dynamic Cruise. It turns out that in 2005 when Lexus introduced this cruise you could get the car with the cruise and the tow prep package. In 2006 and every year since then you can have one or other not both.

The reason is a very potentially bad safety issue. when you put a load on the hitch the front of the car raises, so that changes the angle of the cruise sensor, and may cause incorrect readings.

Secondly, the cruise is calibrated for the weight of the car, not for a car and boat for instance.

So now I have a car that I cannot tow anything. I have been negotiating with Concord to no avail, I will be moving on with legal action soon if Lexus Corporate does not move on this. Buyer beware.

THEY FINALLY CAME AROUND TODAY AND ARE TAKING THE CAR BACK WITH FULL REFUND.

Last edited by snoboat1; 05-06-09 at 10:56 PM. Reason: CHANGES.
Old 05-06-09, 09:17 AM
Btmnk21
Pole Position

Use this spreadsheet. It calculates everything. You just need to input data from Edmunds or KBB.

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/lexusrx300.xls

Quick Reply: If you buy a 2010 RX350...